This chocolate coconut cake is amazing! The best coconut poke cake ever with toffee on top. Super moist and the best dessert to take to a potluck! You can even make this poke cake dairy free if need be.
Ok so I needed some baking inspiration today. While talking with my friend as we power walked on the treadmill this morning I asked her what easy dessert she had made recently, and I could take it from there. She spoke of this ooey gooey chocolate poke cake with whipped topping and other goodies…so I went with that and souped it up to my liking, thus this chocolate coconut cake arose. It. Was. Amazing. No need to count calories on this one, just dig in and get ready for a bit of indulgence people! 😉 (originally published 1/17)
My friend is not a blogger so I figured she probably found it online somewhere. I searched and the base of what she had made was called better than sex cake, I modified it from there by adding coconut!
Seriously, you just can’t go wrong with coconut, as far as I am concerned anyway.
If you’ve never made a poke cake it is just what it says, you poke it after it comes out of the oven and then pour something sweet on top so it goes into those crevices and soaks into the cake…oh yes it does!
I used the tip of my pastry bag to create the holes which worked perfect.
You can make slits too but making small holes is way better!
You can see here what you get when the ooey gooeyness seeps into the cake, it’s all the way to the bottom and makes it the moistest cake you’ve ever had!
This coconut poke cake is super easy to make and perfect to bring as a dessert to any potluck or make when people come over because seriously nobody could resist it!
This is what you need to make Chocolate Coconut Cake
- Chocolate cake mix – I like German chocolate or devil’s food cake mix
- Condensed sweetened milk – can use coconut condensed milk if you need a dairy free poke cake recipe
- Caramel sundae topping
- Whipped topping
- Heath bars
- Sweetened shredded coconut
Other chocolate cake recipes I know you’ll love too:
- Chocolate cherry dump cake is super simple to throw together
- Instant Pot chocolate cake is a winner if you wanna’ make a pressure cooker dessert
Here’s the printable recipe
Chocolate Coconut Cake
- 1 box devil's food cake mix any brand, and all ingredients to make this as directed
- 1 can condensed sweetened milk 14 oz.
- 1 jar caramel sundae topping 8-10 oz.
- 1 tub whipped topping 8 oz.
- 3 Heath bars toffee, crushed
- 3/4 c sweetened shredded coconut
- Bake your cake as directed on the box in a 9x13 cake pan that has been sprayed with non stick spray.
- When it is done poke holes on the top.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top making sure it makes it on top of the holes.
- Pour jar of caramel on top of that, sprinkle half of your crushed Heath bars on the very top and put it in the fridge until cooled, about an hour.
- Take out and spread whipped topping evenly across the top, sprinkle remainder of Heath bar bits, followed by your coconut evenly across the top. Put in fridge ideally for another 30-60 minutes. Done.
It. Is. Amazing! Yes it is sweet so serve it with a glass of milk. This is now my kids’ favorite dessert, ok and my husband too. 😉
If you are looking for more dessert recipes try these:
If you’ve never made a poke cake this is the general idea, and how we made the coconut tropical cake, link above. This chocolate coconut cake is made similarly with just a few different ingredients.
This is how your better than sex cake will turn out, below!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉