Air fryer cake will become your new favorite dessert! Ooey gooey chocolate lava cake made in ramekins inside your Ninja Foodi or other brand.
Have you tried an air fryer cake yet? Not a normal cake, but individual lava cakes that are pure bites of heaven I tell you. If you love chocolate and want to try a new air fryer recipe this week, this is it!
- You can make these in your Ninja Foodi too if that’s the model you have.
- We have that and this electric air fryer, any brand will do.
- Then LIKE our easy air fryer recipes page to get new ideas for meals and snack ideas daily!
Can you make cake in an air fryer you might ask.
I wasn’t so sure how well it would work to be honest. If you follow this cooking method though, it works great! I like how they’re already portioned out and come out super moist too.
I suppose you could use boxed cake mix for this but the homemade chocolate cake recipe below is better and super easy. When making a Ninja Foodi cake the other way I used the bake function. If your machine doesn’t have that, this method won’t work.
Is air fryer better than oven when baking a cake?
- While a convection oven and an air fryer both use a fan to move hot air around, an air fryer circulates the it more rapidly, speeding up the cooking process.
- Air fryers are healthier than deep frying and there’s no risk of an oily mess.
Can you use ramekins in an air fryer?
It is a convection oven after all so yes! Don’t forget you probably have some in your cabinet already you can use.
Tea cups work great too if they are oven safe. The size of your air fryer will determine what size ramekins you get.
This is what you’ll need to make this air fryer cake recipe:
- 4 ounce ramekins
- if using different sizes the cooking timing will just need to be adjusted more or less
- non stick cooking spray is very helpful if you want to serve on plates
- Chocolate chips
- Self rising flour
You can add more chocolate chips on top if you want them to be really ooey gooey and wet when they’re done.
Of course adjust things as you go but for your first batch I’d follow the instructions as written. Experiment from there and make a few other air fryer dessert recipes too!
This is the air fryer we used for this batch. Some air fryer baskets are rather small so you may only be able to fit 2 or 3 of them at a time. Just cook in batches until you have as many as you’d like.
Steps to take:
- Melt butter and chocolate chips until smooth. Can be done in a microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between sessions.
- Whisk together sugar and eggs, then combine the two.
- Fold in flour until well combined, then add into greased ramekins.
- divide between 4 equally
- Put baby cake pans into air fryer basket and cook at 370 degrees for 10 minutes
- if your machine only uses even numbers I would set to 360 for 12 minutes
- take out once toothpick comes out somewhat clean when pushed into the middle (you want a bit of gooey)
- Allow to sit on cooling rack for 2-4 minutes to solidify if you want to flip on to a plate and stay in tact.
This whole process will take about 15 minutes before your dream dessert is done! So. Fast. I know!
So hopefully the question of: can I bake in my air fryer has been answered for you. YES you can! It is just one of the many ways we’ve made desserts at home. A few others we’ve enjoyed are:
- Pressure cooker chocolate lava cake
- Crockpot lava cake with cherry pie filling is heavenly
- And this is how to make a brownie in a mug
Boxed cake in an air fryer:
Make the cake mix, per the instructions on the package. Then set the air fryer safe pan with the cake mix inside of it into the air fryer. Set the time for 20 minutes at 320 degrees F.
Air Fryer Cake
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave. Put in for 30 sec., stir, 30 sec. until it is melted and smooth.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar in separate bowl. Then whisk egg mixture and chocolate together until combined and smooth.
- Then mix in flour until smooth.
- Pour batter equally into 4 oven safe ramekins. Fill 3/4 full.
- Put in air fryer basket for 10 minutes at 370 degrees, then allow to cool for 2 minutes before flipping over on to plates (or eat right out of them but they will be hot).