This pressure cooker chocolate lava cake is a pretty incredible dump cake with just 3 ingredients! Make it in your Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi today for a decadent treat.
Ever since we got our fancy multi cooker we’ve been creating lots of heavenly Instant Pot recipes. This pressure cooker lava cake goes down as one fabulously rich chocolatey desserts though! (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
Think of all your favorite flavors in one bite and done in about 30 minutes without ever having to turn on your oven.
Now on the list as one of our favorite easy dump cake recipes!
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot Lava Cake
Amp it up with a 4th by topping it with a handful of extra chocolate chips if you’re ready to take it to the next level. You can make it in your Ninja Foodi pot too!
Pretty cheap to make and honestly you can find almost everything you need at the local Dollar Store which is kinda’ fun.
You can make this in any size Instant Pot but I have the 6 qt. just for reference.
Pressure cooker chocolate lava cake recipe
- Oven safe bowl – this one will fit into a 6 qt or larger Instant Pot
- Chocolate cake mix – we’ve used this one
- Can of pie filling – we used this one
- Chocolate chips
- dark chocolate or mini are great
Optional on the top:
- Whipped cream
- Melted chocolate
- Powdered sugar
Any way you make it this Instant Pot chocolate lava cake is to die for! This is free of egg yolks too so if you’re looking for an egg free dessert this one is great.
The directions are quite simple. Like other molten lava cake recipes you’re just dumping everything into your bowl in the order explained below. Close lid and valve to sealing position. Cook time is 25 minutes and just know that when it comes out it will be ooey gooey. It is supposed to be like that!
You don’t want to overbake it or have it come out like a traditional oven baked cake. A dump cake in general is very wet and almost has to be scooped out. You aren’t going to get a clean slice out of this one. Instant Pot lava cakes are just like they say. A flow of wet gooey chocolate and cherries ready to be devoured.
Looking for more quick easy dessert recipes?
- Air fryer cake is fabulous
- Instant Pot chocolate rice pudding
- Coca-Cola chocolate cake
- Dump peach cobbler uses canned pie filling too
It is a lot like a flourless chocolate cake if you’ve had one of those. Dense in consistency and almost fudgy. All I can say is it is just amazing.
Want a treat for Valentine’s Day but don’t want to turn on the oven?? These are great choices!! We don’t need an excuse and both of these you see here are the perfect size for the 5 of us because they are so sweet.
For these and our Crockpot peanut clusters, you only need a few bites to satisfy any sweet tooth really.
- We started this whole Instant Pot desserts journey when we made this 3 ingredient Instant Pot dump cake using a spice cake mix and apple pie filling.
It is also delicious but with a lighter flavor since it doesn’t incorporate chocolate.You should try all of them and see which you prefer. Let us know what you think!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Pressure Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
- Pour 1.5 c. water into your pressure cooker and put a trivet inside.
- Pour your pie filling into your oven safe bowl, the sprinkle your cake mix on top, then pour your melted butter on top of that.
- If you are adding chocolate chips sprinkle those on the very top.
- Cover the bowl with foil and lower on to the trivet (best to make a sling so you can get it back out).
- Set to high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Allow to sit and release pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- Lift out, remove foil and allow to cool slightly in pan to firm up a bit and then enjoy!