Instant Pot chocolate rice pudding is the most amazing pressure cooker dessert you will ever make. It’s quick, smooth, and full of chocolate!
Seriously, you have got to try this Instant Pot chocolate rice pudding, it is amazing!! It’s one our long list of easy Instant Pot recipes where you can find lots of other ideas! (originally published 4/17)
Ninja Foodi Chocolate Rice Pudding
I thought of making this after my Instant Pot rice pudding recipe was such a huge hit on social media. It came out so creamy and delicious a lot faster than on the stovetop. You can make it dairy free or regular, enjoy it as a snack or dessert after dinner.
Then I could thought I’d make another one with a chocolate twist. It turned out so good I had to share it! Of course anything is better with a little chocolate right??
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Chocolate Rice Pudding Recipe
I basically used the same easy recipe in my pressure cooker and added a few tbsp. of cocoa powder. You can easily use whatever brand of electric multicooker you might have at home. I have a few of them but typically use this one and my Ninja Foodi the most.
It’s so rich and creamy that you only need a little bowl full for dessert but seriously, you will make this over and over again when you see how easy and delicious it really is.
Check it out…..
Homemade Chocolate Rice Pudding
We were always huge fans of rice pudding but when I got my Instant Pot and made it for myself in less than 15 minutes it became our go to pressure cooker dessert of choice.
There are 5 of us and this recipe is just enough for us with NO leftovers ever!
I have doubled this before but quite frankly it is best when made in smaller batches like this. If you need more just throw in another since it’s super quick to make.
Instant Pot chocolate rice pudding
You are to use white rice that starts off uncooked for this. Do not use instant or Minute rice as it will not turn out right at all and just be mush at the end. Pay close attention once you lift the lid and make sure you are stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. You’ll want to temper the egg with some of the hot mixture too.
- Uncooked long grain white rice
- I have not experimented with brown rice and I don’t think it would turn out very good anyway
- short grain rice should be fine, haven’t tested with arborio rice either
- Butter or plant based alternative for a dairy free option
- Cocoa powder, there is milk and dark versions to choose from
- Evaporated milk
We’ve made this slow cooker rice pudding recipe too you should try! Of course that takes quite a bit longer but is a great option if you want to just set it and forget it during the holidays. Try them all so you can see which you prefer and make it more often for dessert at your home.
Dairy Free Chocolate Rice Pudding
If you needed a dairy free alternative it is quite easy to do. You can use a plant based butter alternative that tastes almost the same. You can find a DF evaporated milk option online too. Here’s how we made it. There is a printable recipe card at the bottom of the post too:
Time needed: 16 minutes.
Instant Pot Chocolate Rice Pudding
Put your Instant Pot or pressure cooker on saute and add your butter until it melts. Add your uncooked rice and stir. Pour in your milk and water and stir.
Add vanilla, 1/2 cup sugar, and your unsweetened cocoa and stir well until well combined and it resembles chocolate milk color without any cocoa clumps.
Put lid on IP and close pressure valve.
Set to manual, pressure cook, high pressure for 14 minutes cook time. When it beeps do a quick release and lift lid carefully.
In a small bowl combine egg and evaporated milk and whisk together. Add 1/2 c. of hot rice pudding mixture from pot in with your egg/milk mixture, stir. This will temper your egg.
Add another 1/2 c., stir, then add that mixture into your IP.
Set Instant Pot to saute and when it begins to bubble stir slowly for about 2 minutes or until it thickens a bit.
Immediately pour your finished pudding into cool dishes. This is important so it doesn’t continue cooking and get mushy. Then fill pot with soapy water so it’s easier to clean later. 😉
Looking for more pressure cooker desserts?
- Instant Pot potato corn chowder is an amazing dinner idea
- It’s fun to make Instant Pot cake for dessert too
- The best Instant Pot tapioca pudding is here, you can make any of these in your Ninja Foodi too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Instant Pot Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Put your Instant Pot or pressure cooker on saute and add your butter until it melts.
- Add your uncooked rice and stir.
- Add your milk and water and stir.
- Add vanilla, sugar, and your cocoa and stir well until well combined and it resembles chocolate milk color without any cocoa clumps.
- Put lid on IP and close pressure valve.
- Set to manual, pressure, high for 14 minutes.
- When it beeps do a quick release and lift lid carefully.
- In a small bowl combine egg and evaporated milk and whisk together.
- Add 1/2 c. of hot rice pudding mixture from pot in with your egg/milk mixture, stir.
- Add another 1/2 c., stir, then add that mixture into your IP.
- Set Instant Pot to saute and when it begins to bubble stir slowly for about 2 minutes or until it thickens a bit. Serve!