The easiest Instant Pot rice pudding recipe ever that takes just 20 minutes and is the best pressure cooker dessert we’ve made. Just a few ingredients and it’s great served either warm or cold. There’s 3 versions including an Instant Pot coconut rice pudding and a dairy free rice pudding recipe too!
I will say that this is the most amazing and the easiest Instant Pot rice pudding recipe ever! We have made it with milk and dairy free as well. Both are fabulous Here is how you make it, it’s now one of our favorite dessert Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Rice Pudding
This is actually the first dessert I’ve made in my new 7 in 1 favorite appliance and it came out great on the first try (isn’t always the case when I am trying something new). Now that I have had it for years we make it on a weekly basis.
You don’t have to have an IP to make this either though. As long as you have an electric pot with the saute and high pressure function this can be made. And you’ll love them. We have made this in a Crockpot Express and as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe as well.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and a set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Just enough of a treat for the 5 of us after dinner, and this instant rice pudding could easily be doubled for a larger crowd. With only a few ingredients it is an easy dessert you can throw together and eat either warm (oh so good) or cold
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
With a bit of added vanilla while you’re cooking, and almond extract is fabulous too you can personalize this Instant Pot dessert to your liking. We have even made Instant Pot coconut rice pudding if you love that flavor!! From start to finish it took about 17 minutes, perfect for making right after dinner is over to get it hot and fresh.
I immediately take it out of the pot when it’s done and serve it in small bowls and it is gone in just minutes.
- It is barely enough for the 5 of us, but just enough or I’d just gorge myself because it is just so darn creamy and good.
- If you prefer your rice pudding to be chilled then you can pour the contents into a larger bowl.
- Then allow to cool a bit and then put it in the fridge. If you haven’t eaten it warm it is really amazing.
Here’s a quick step by step photo showing you how it’s done…..
Rice pudding Instant Pot recipe
You could add just a tad of extract if you wanted to alter the flavor just a bit. Coconut or vanilla are the most common ones for that but as is is sweet enough for sure and always a hit in our house.
- I’ve made it on my stovetop but using an Instant Pot is SO much easier and quicker
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot for this and to make cleanup easier with others
- White long grain rice – uncooked (I like this jasmine rice)
- I have not made this with brown rice, timing would be different
- Rinsing the rice first is a good idea
- arborio rice works too
You’ll need an egg. It is best to temper it in with a bit of the hot contents first before stirring it in. If not it will likely get a bit stringy like scrambled eggs. Won’t hurt you but will have a different consistency. Just use a little bowl or ramekin to whisk with a fork.
Dairy Free Instant Pot Rice Pudding
You’ll need a can of Evaporated milk, NOT condensed milk, totally different things. What you use is the thinner of the two but quite sweet so if you wanted to cut down on the sugar after tasting your first batch that is an option too.
- Whipped cream for the top if you want
If you’re making dairy free Instant Pot rice pudding then make these substitutions. You can find a plant based vegan butter product at the store that tastes very similar to “regular” sticks.
- Almond milk or lactose free milk vs. milk
- Coconut evaporated milk vs regular evaporated milk
When you take the lid off initially after it’s cooked for 14 minutes the rice will not seem quite cooked. But it will, don’t worry. Stir to separate rice and then follow directions adding some rice mixture to your egg mixture so it warms up before adding to your IP and simmering a bit longer to finish cooking the rice.
How to Make Creamy Rice Pudding in Instant Pot
Feel free to use any pressure cooking pot you have like a Ninja Foodi or Crockpot Express. If at the end you want it creamier just add a bit more evaporated milk and stir until it is the perfect consistency and thickness for you!
- Directions and cooking time remains the same for any brand you use.
Be sure to quick release steam when time is up, natural release will cause rice to become mushy fast.
Pressure cooker rice pudding
- Do not double this recipe. It is better to cook on high pressure 2 separate batches rather than trying to double it, believe me
- Use some of the hot liquid with your whisked milk and egg mixture as to temper the egg – or else it will look like strings of cooked egg inside, not good
- Follow the directions below regarding the amount of evap. milk
- Add more at the very end if you want your rice pudding to be creamier
- Make sure you’re stirring constantly but gently.
As soon as it is done perfectly, dump the contents into a larger bowl. Or serve in smaller bowls and eat immediately.
- Leaving it in the pot to sit will make it mushier by the minute as it is still continuing to cook a bit since the pot is still quite hot
- Keep in mind pudding will thicken as it cools..;
Enjoy and share this recipe if you love it along with the other hundreds of thousands of other people have!! 😉
Homemade rice pudding recipe
If you want to add a coconut twist the ingredients are:
- 1 c. uncooked rice
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- Can of coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 c. shredded sweetened coconut
Link for our pressure cooker coconut rice pudding is above or you can search for it on our site. Another option for this is to just follow directions below with 1/4 tsp coconut extract instead.
What can I add to rice pudding?
Often times I like to add raisins or sweetened dried cranberries. They can cook right along with the rice pudding and even soften and plump a little in the process.
How do you thicken rice pudding?
- Let it cool completely first if you want to do this.
- Cooling firms the proteins in the milk and egg, so this will do a bit of what you want all by itself.
- One way is to warm the pudding in a pot over medium heat, then slowly whisk in a beaten egg.
- Another method is to fold in a bit of whipped cream after letting the rice pudding cool completely.
Looking for more Instant Pot dessert recipes we have a few great ones
- Instant pot chocolate rice pudding is another option too as far as flavors go
- Instant Pot brownies are fun because baking outside of your oven is a must
- Make Instant Pot bread pudding in your pressure cooker too!
If you want to make a batch of slow cooker rice pudding we have directions for that too!
Hope this helps you understand; how do you make rice pudding from scratch easily! We no longer use the stovetop method anymore because this is so much faster and I don’t have to watch it every minute.
How long can you keep homemade rice pudding in the fridge?
I will start by saying we have NEVER had leftovers. BUT I did want to test this out one day so I could report back. My recommendation is that you enjoy it all the same day. It quickly hardens in the fridge.
How do you fix hard rice pudding?
Yes you can thin it out by rewarming it in the microwave and adding more milk but it’s not the same. The consistency changes a lot and the creaminess is quite different. I have a printable recipe card at the bottom to make this perfectly. This is a quick rundown first though;
One pot rice pudding directions
- Put Instant Pot on saute and add butter until melted. Add uncooked rice and stir so rice is coated.
- Pour in milk, water, vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract if desired and sugar. Stir until combined. Put lid on IP and close steam valve.
- Set to manual, pressure, high, for 14 minutes (if you like your rice a bit firmer set it for 12). When done do a quick release.
- In a small bowl whisk egg and 1/4 c evaporated milk together. Spoon a spoonful of hot rice pudding mixture into egg mixture to temper, stir.
When it has reached the perfect consistency for you pour contents into a bowl or small serving bowls immediately so it doesn’t continue to cook and get a bit mushy. Serve warm or chilled, top with cinnamon or nutmeg.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Recipe
- 1 c uncooked rice
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c water
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 2 c milk 2% or whole is best
- 1 egg
- 1/4-1/2 c evaporated milk add 1/4 c. first and at the end if you want more add the additional 1/4 c. until desired texture is achieved
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract – optional
- pinch of nutmeg – optional
- pinch of cinnamon – optional
- Put Instant Pot on saute and add butter until melted.
- Add rice and stir so rice is coated.
- Add milk, water, vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract if desired and sugar. Stir until combined.
- Put lid on IP and close steam valve.
- Set to manual, pressure, high, for 14 minutes (if you like your rice more turgid set it for 12).
- When done do a quick release
- In a small bowl whisk egg and 1/4 c evaporated milk together.
- Spoon a spoonful of rice pudding mixture into egg mixture and stir, add another warm spoonful of rice mixture and stir.
- Then add bowl full of egg mixture into your IP or pressure cooker and set to saute.
- Allow to get hot enough where it bubbles for about 30-60 seconds, stir slowly when it starts to bubble so it doesn’t stick to bottom. Add more evaporated milk if desired.
- It will begin to thicken.
- When it has reached the perfect consistency for you pour contents into a bowl or small serving bowls immediately so it doesn’t continue to cook and get a bit mushy.
- Serve warm or chilled, top with cinnamon or nutmeg.
Monday 28th of February 2022
If I could rate this 100 stars I would! O.M.G. this is incredible! I grew up making Rice Pudding for my dad. He liked it cold vs warm. I have a friend staying with me at the moment b/c he can't travel back home (overseas) due to pandemic. Made this today and he raved and raved. We argued over the "correct" way to eat this - cold vs warm. I say warm and of course, he said cold. LOL....the only change I made was I didn't have evaporated milk so substituted half and half. I also added raisins as that's how I made for my dad. Added the raisins at the same time I tempered egg mixture to saute for final 60 secs. If my dad were alive today to taste this, he would be asking me to make for him weekly. Thank you for posting -- it is beyond delish!!!!! Brought back oh so fond memories of my dad whom I dearly miss!
Tuesday 7th of February 2023
@Di, my mom used to make creamy rice pudding. I’m going to try this and thanks do you I’m going to do the same exactly how you made it die @Di I don’t have evaporated milk in the house I only have almond milk and I do have half and half coming this afternoon so I’m going to try it I can’t wait. To the typical mom I can’t remember your name I get your emails and love them all the time but right now I can’t remember it. Thank you for this recipe. It brings back such great war memories of my mom to as Di above my husband loved my mom’s rice pudding. Sincerely, Gerry
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 1st of March 2022
So glad it was made with great memories!
Saturday 22nd of January 2022
I love rice pudding but cold not hot. Every time I make it when the pudding cools it gets hard. How do I avoid this?
Thursday 14th of January 2021
I just made this in my newish instant pot. I just finished devouring my first bowl of it! SO GOOD! My husband and kids don’t like rice pudding so more for me. Yum yum!
The Typical Mom
Thursday 14th of January 2021
Friday 8th of May 2020
I have made this several times and my husband and I both love it! We go through it rather quickly and I would like to double the recipe, but you highly discourage that, but don’t say why.
Monday 27th of April 2020
Any idea whether COOKED (I.e., leftover) rice can be used, perhaps with a shorter cooking time?
Or is the question ridiculous? (It’s okay; I can take it.)
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 29th of April 2020
No I do not think that would work