The easiest Instant Pot rice pudding recipe ever that takes just 20 minutes and is the best pressure cooker dessert we’ve made. Just a few ingredients and it’s great served either warm or cold. There’s 3 versions including an Instant Pot coconut rice pudding and a dairy free rice pudding recipe too!
I will say that this is the most amazing and the easiest Instant Pot rice pudding recipe ever! Here is how you make it, it’s now one of our favorite dessert Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 2/17)
This is actually the first dessert I’ve made in my new 7 in 1 favorite appliance and it came out great on the first try (isn’t always the case when I am trying something new).
Just enough of a treat for the 5 of us after dinner, and this instant rice pudding could easily be doubled for a larger crowd. With only a few ingredients it is an easy dessert you can throw together and eat either warm (oh so good) or cold
I like a generous amount of cinnamon and nutmeg on the top of my Instant Pot rice pudding!
With a bit of added vanilla while you’re cooking, and almond extract is fabulous too you can personalize this Instant Pot dessert to your liking. From start to finish it took about 17 minutes, perfect for making right after dinner is over to get it hot and fresh.
I immediately take it out of the pot when it’s done and serve it in small bowls and it is gone in just minutes.
- It is barely enough for the 5 of us, but just enough or I’d just gorge myself because it is just so darn creamy and good. If you prefer your rice pudding to be chilled then you can pour the contents into a larger bowl, allow to cool a bit and then put it in the fridge but if you haven’t eaten it warm it is really amazing.
Here’s a quick step by step photo showing you how it’s done…..
This is what you need to make this Instant Pot rice pudding recipe:
- I’ve made it on my stovetop but using an Instant Pot is SO much easier and quicker
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot too!
- White long grain rice – uncooked (I like this jasmine rice)
- I have not made this with brown rice, timing would be different
- Rinsing the rice first is a good idea
- arborio rice works too
- Evaporated milk
If you’re making dairy free Instant Pot rice pudding then make these substitutions
- Almond milk or lactose free milk vs. milk
- Coconut evaporated milk vs regular evaporated milk
When you take the lid off initially after it’s cooked for 14 minutes the rice will not seem quite cooked. But it will, don’t worry.
Stir to separate rice and then follow directions adding some rice mixture to your egg mixture so it warms up before adding to your IP and simmering a bit longer to finish cooking the rice.
If at the end you want it creamier just add a bit more evaporated milk and stir until it is the perfect consistency and thickness for you!
Tips for making the perfect Instant Pot rice pudding
- Do not double this recipe – it is better to cook on high pressure 2 separate batches rather than trying to double it, believe me
- Use some of the hot liquid with your whisked milk and egg mixture as to temper the egg – or else it will look like strings of cooked egg inside, not good
- Follow the directions below regarding the amount of evaporated milk
- Add more at the very end if you want your rice pudding to be creamier
- Make sure to stir consistently and as soon as it is done perfectly, dump the contents into a larger bowl or serve in smaller bowls to eat immediately
- Leaving it in the pot to sit will make it mushier by the minute as it is still continuing to cook a bit since the pot is still quite hot
- Keep in mind pudding will thicken as it cools..;
- Enjoy and share this recipe if you love it along with the other hundreds of thousands of other people have!! 😉
Coconut pressure cooker rice pudding
- 1 c. uncooked rice
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 c. water
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. evaporated milk
- 1/2 c. shredded sweetened coconut
If you want to make a batch of slow cooker rice pudding we have directions for that too!
Looking for more Instant Pot dessert recipes we have a few great ones
Make Instant Pot bread pudding in your pressure cooker too!
Here is the printable original Instant Pot rice pudding recipe as well.
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Recipe
- 1 c uncooked rice
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c water
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 2 c milk 2% or whole is best
- 1 egg
- 1/4-1/2 c evaporated milk add 1/4 c. first and at the end if you want more add the additional 1/4 c. until desired texture is achieved
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract - optional
- pinch of nutmeg - optional
- pinch of cinnamon - optional
- Put Instant Pot on saute and add butter until melted.
- Add rice and stir so rice is coated.
- Add milk, water, vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract if desired and sugar. Stir until combined.
- Put lid on IP and close steam valve.
- Set to manual, pressure, high, for 14 minutes (if you like your rice more turgid set it for 12).
- When done do a quick release
- In a small bowl whisk egg and 1/4 c evaporated milk together.
- Spoon a spoonful of rice pudding mixture into egg mixture and stir, add another warm spoonful of rice mixture and stir.
- Then add bowl full of egg mixture into your IP or pressure cooker and set to saute.
- Allow to get hot enough where it bubbles for about 30-60 seconds, stir slowly when it starts to bubble so it doesn't stick to bottom. Add more evaporated milk if desired.
- It will begin to thicken.
- When it has reached the perfect consistency for you pour contents into a bowl or small serving bowls immediately so it doesn't continue to cook and get a bit mushy.
- Serve warm or chilled, top with cinnamon or nutmeg.