Frozen steak in air fryer directions so it comes out tender and juicy. How to cook frozen steak like Ribeye, T-bone, Filet or Sirloin perfectly to pink and tender!
It’s easier than ever to cook frozen steak in air fryer perfectly. If you’re forgetful like me don’t worry, I have a way to cover up the fact that you forgot to defrost dinner. 😉 An easy air fryer recipe to keep on hand. (affiliate links present, originally published 8/20)
Air Fryer Frozen Steak
If you’re forgetful like me, this is going to come in really handy… I have made things like air fryer cube steak and others defrosted but I had to experiment with this. It had to be perfect before sharing it with you.
First, I shared how to make a frozen roast in Instant Pot which was a real hit. I don’t always want such a large thick piece of meat if there are just a few of us so I thought steaks were the next go to to tackle.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Frozen Sirloin Steak in Air Fryer
Then frozen chicken breast in air fryer was perfected. Always comes in handy when I have had a really hectic day and haven’t defrosted anything for the main entree. Seriously if you do it right nobody is the wiser that I had a moment and the meat was never defrosted beforehand.
Ninja Foodi Frozen Steak
You can use any brand you might have at home too. Use the air fry button and the lid that is attached if you have a Foodi machine.
What are the types of steak?
So long as your piece is about the same thickness as you see here then it really doesn’t matter which type you want to make.
- Filet Mignon
- New York Strip
- Skirt steak we love to make air fryer flank steak
Just make sure they aren’t too too thick or the timing will need to be longer obviously than listed below. You can adjust and add more easily at the end if needed.
Here are a few questions you might have before attempting this. Hopefully we can answer them all for you.
How long do you cook frozen steak in air fryer?
The average time is 18 minutes. It will vary slightly depending on how thick each one is, whether there is a bone, and how well done you like it.
This cook time is a good place to start though, checking at 15 minutes is good to do the first time. Use our steak internal temperature chart for reference.
Yes!! We will show you how to do just that right here! Whether you want a thick ribeye or smaller filet, this method works just great.
Yep, we did just that to make Ninja Foodi frozen steak. With a bit of olive oil you can get any seasonings you like to stick just fine. We love our steak dry rub, but plain salt and pepper works too.
Is frozen steak as good as fresh?
Of course I do prefer my meat to be defrosted beforehand, but that isn’t always possible. In those cases it is nice to have this kitchen hack in your pocket so you can still have a great meal on the table in no time. See what you do here, easy peasy right?? Just season, throw them into a preheated air fryer and cook!
Frozen Ribeye Steak in Air Fryer
Let me give you another tip so you get tender steak every time, whether it’s rock hard or not. As with any sort of beef you should let it rest before you slice it. Why?? Resting allows the juices to stay in, and not seep out. Even 5 minutes vs. right away is better, 10 – 15 is ideal if you ask us.
I usually need a bit of time to finish up our side dishes anyway, so just cover it to keep it warm and then cut when you sit down to eat.
- The meat we used were ribeyes.
- Each one was about 3/4″ thick.
- 18 minutes total, flipping halfway through gave us these results.
- I would say they’re medium well cooked.
Of course if you want them closer to medium I might guess 15 minutes would be better. Well done might be 19 depending on how thick they are.
How to Cook Frozen Beef in Air Fryer
Here’s a quick step by step but there’s a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post too. Brush olive oil on both sides of your frozen steaks, on both sides. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides, along with any other seasonings or our tri tip dry rub. Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F. Cook steaks in basket once preheated.
- Set to 18 minutes total for medium well. Cook for 12 minutes for rare.
- Flip the steaks halfway thru. (timing will vary depending on how thick each piece is and how well done you want them to be).
Use thermometer to check internal temp.
- If you read thermometer and it is not as done as you’d like, add an extra minute for each side of the steak and check again.
- Allow meat to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
Eat them with some frozen biscuits in air fryer, air fryer baked potatoes or corn in an air fryer is fabulous. Total perfection right?
Air fried frozen foods have been a game changer for us! I work full time and although I cook food for a living, I don’t always do it every day. I am forgetful as well. Eeeeek.
If I don’t have time for my meat to reach room temperature by the time 5p.m. rolls around, I need tips like this. I hope it helps you out too. 😉
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Frozen Steak in Air Fryer
- Brush olive oil on frozen steaks, on both sides.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides, along with any other seasonings you desire.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F. Put frozen steaks in once preheated.
- Set to 18 minutes total, flipping halfway thru. (timing will vary depending on how thick each piece is and how well done you want them to be)
- Allow meat to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.