Best steak dry rub you will ever taste! Whether you want them smoked, barbecued, Instant Pot steak or made in a pan on the stove you’re going to love the bold flavors this will bring. You’ll take your beef from good to amazing with a quick mix up of seasonings.
Want it a bit spicy too? NO problem you can make that tweak with one more item out of your spice rack. We love both ways on our meat, even frozen steak!
Want to bring your beef to the next level? We have the best steak dry rub you will ever make. You’ll never eat a T-bone or filet plain again. This takes your beef from good to fabulous. One of many dry rub recipes on our site. (affiliate links present, originally published 1/20)
Steak Dry Rub Seasoning
I bet you have all the ingredients you need in your spice cupboard already. If not you can order it online and make it in bulk if you want. Store it in a freezer bag and season when ready!
We’ve even used this as an incredible tri tip dry rub AND on our best baked pork chops. It is great on everything I tell you. I always go with easy. Rest assured you have all of the things in your spice rack or pantry right here and now. If there is one thing I have links to each of them below so you can buy it online.
Best Steak Seasoning Recipe for Grilling
We use this on our grilled steak recipe but it isn’t just fo the grate y’all, or just for beef either. I will say that this is a must if we are cooking on our Traeger or Charbroil outside but well beyond that too. It is a sweet and savory mixture that can have some heat to it too if you want.
Sweet and Spicy Steak Rub
What can you add in order to make it spicier? I do add chili powder with our regular and mild version but you could increase that amount. Instead I would suggest 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes instead. Dry Sriracha is another great choice that will lend more of an Asian flare to it.
What is the best way to season a steak?
If you don’t want to add much you can still make them great of course. Just before grilling you can just brush them lightly on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. BUT this steak rub recipe is so much better!! This is what you’ll need to take out:
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika or regular
Yes you can buy a bottled spice blend but this is a salty sweet mixture you’re going to love it. This isn’t just for beef though y’all. Most of the time I will spray our air fryer frozen pork chops with olive oil and sprinkle this all over them too!! It’s super versatile.
What are different types of steak?
Tenderloin. Other names for this are; Filet mignon, fillet, filet etc..
- New York Strip. Other names for this are; New York strip, Manhattan, Kansas City strip, top sirloin, and top loin
- Porterhouse. Otherwise known as; T-bone or date steak
- Ribeye. Otherwise known as; Entrecôte, Delmonico, Scotch fillet, Spencer, market, or beauty
- Flank steak is quite lean, also known as London Broil
- Skirt steak
How long do you leave dry rub on steak?
Once it’s rubbed on both sides of the steak, you can just cook the steak right on the grill! If you’d rather prepare it ahead of time you can leave a dry rub on for 30 minutes or so, I don’t typically let it sit longer than that. With a wet rub you can have it marinate for several hours though.
- Combine all ingredients together well in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over 3-4 great steaks of your choice
- Press down, then pick up and allow excess to fall off.
- if you want to make this in bulk store in a glass jar with a lid and keep in a cool place
- BBBQ, smoke, or cook as you wish.
Homemade steak rub
Enjoy the amazing flavor of your juicy steak taste with your favorite side dishes! Make it as directed below and then beyond that you can tweak it just slightly to see if you want more heat, less, sweeter etc…
What should I serve with steak?
We have used this on our Ninja Foodi steak recipe as well as these smoked pork chops wrapped with bacon!!
- Baked green beans
- Any type of corn side dish recipe works
- Crockpot mashed potatoes always work
What temperature should steak be cooked at?
Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill:
- 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare, an internal temperature of 135 degrees
- 5 to 7 minutes for medium, 140 degrees
- 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well, 150 degrees
How do you make steak tender?
You can tenderize the meat using a meat mallet. This is a pretty effective way to break down those tough muscle fibers and make it much more tender than if you didn’t do this.
- Use a marinade if you like
- Don’t forget to season it with this steak dry rub recipe
- Let it come up to room temperature before cooking or grilling it
- Cook it low and slow as they say
- Do not overcook it, use a meat thermometer so you hit the right steak internal temperature
- Allow your meat to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.
- Slice against the grain for best results and to keep it nice and tender
How can I make steak at home? Well using a grill or an indoor grill like you see above is a great way to get that sear and marks on the outside. You can also use a pan or make air fryer steak!
Steak in the Instant Pot is another new favorite method of ours. We’ve used this on our air fryer steak bites and Instant Pot tri tip too!
- NO matter what way you make it, your MUST use your steak dry rub on your meat first to bring it from good to excellent tonight!
You can print recipe below. When you absolutely love it (and I know you will) you might want to make this in bulk!! You can if you want, just store it in a jar or baggie marked steak dry rub.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Steak Dry Rub
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- Mix all ingredients together well in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over 3-4 steaks, press down, then pick up and allow excess to fall off.
- BBBQ, smoke, or cook as you wish.
Saturday 15th of January 2022
How much of each ingredient for the dry rub?
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 18th of January 2022
Recipe is in printable recipe card at bottom of the post
Thursday 29th of July 2021
I'm confused I hit link to dry rub for the country style pork ribs in the instapot and this is a steak dry rub am I using the same?
The Typical Mom
Friday 30th of July 2021
Yep, I use that rub for all different sorts of recipes