Best steak dry rub you will ever taste! Whether you want smoked steaks, barbecued, or made in a pan you’re going to love the bold flavors this will bring.
Want to bring your beef to the next level? We have the best steak dry rub you’ll ever make. You’ll never eat a T-bone or filet plain again.
I bet you have all the ingredients you need in your spice cupboard already. If not you can order it online and make it in bulk if you want. Store it in a freezer bag and season when ready!
What is the best way to season a steak?
If you don’t want to add much you can still make them great of course. Just before grilling you can just brush them lightly on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
BUT this steak rub recipe is so much better!!
This is what you’ll need to take out:
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika or regular
Yes you can buy a bottled spice blend but this is a salty sweet mixture you’re going to love it. We use this on pork chops too!! It’s super versatile.
What are different types of steak?
Tenderloin. Other names for this are; Filet mignon, fillet, filet etc..
- New York Strip. Other names for this are; New York strip, Manhattan, Kansas City strip, top sirloin, and top loin
- Porterhouse. Otherwise known as; T-bone or date steak
- Ribeye. Otherwise known as; Entrecôte, Delmonico, Scotch fillet, Spencer, market, or beauty
- Flank steak is quite lean, also known as London Broil
- Skirt steak
How long do you leave dry rub on steak?
Once it’s rubbed on both sides of the steak, you can just cook the steak right on the grill!
If you’d rather prepare it ahead of time you can leave a dry rub on for 30 minutes or so, I don’t typically let it sit longer than that. With a wet rub you can have it marinate for several hours though.
Homemade steak rub
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Steak Dry Rub
Get a glass jar or bowl out. Combine all the ingredients together, mix.
Leave meat out so they reach room temperature. Rub homemade steak seasoning recipe on both sides of your meat.
Cook grilled steaks on bbq, in your smoker, in the oven or on your stovetop
Allow your great steak to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing
Enjoy the amazing flavor of your juicy steak taste with your favorite side dishes!
What should I serve with steak?
What temperature should steak be cooked at?
Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill:
- 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare, an internal temperature of 135 degrees
- 5 to 7 minutes for medium, 140 degrees
- 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well, 150 degrees
How do you make steak tender?
- You can tenderize the meat using a meat mallet. This is a pretty effective way to break down those tough muscle fibers and make it much more tender than if you didn’t do this.
- Use a marinade if you like
- Don’t forget to season it with this steak dry rub recipe
- Let it come up to room temperature before cooking or grilling it
- Cook it low and slow as they say
- Do not overcook it, use a meat thermometer so you hit the right internal temperature
- Allow your meat to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.
- Slice against the grain for best results and to keep it nice and tender
- NO matter what way you make it, your MUST use your steak dry rub on your meat first to bring it from good to excellent tonight!
You can print recipe below. When you absolutely love it (and I know you will) you might want to make this in bulk!! You can if you want, just store it in a jar or baggie marked steak dry rub.
Steak Dry Rub
- Mix all ingredients together well in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over 3-4 steaks, press down, then pick up and allow excess to fall off.
- BBBQ, smoke, or cook as you wish.