Steak in the Instant Pot is great with potatoes cooked all at the same time! Tender sirloin and vegetables for dinner have never been easier to make.
Steak in the Instant Pot works great! Throw in some potatoes with a thick onion gravy and dinner is ready. If you love cooking beef but need it ready lickety split without a grill in the house this is a great idea. Listed as one of the 101+ Instant Pot recipes I’m sure you’ll love it too.
- Instant Pot beef recipes are great when you’re in a rush. Ok they’re excellent when you need a few ideas for your weekly meal rotation too! I’m all about new pressure cooker recipes.
We bought an entire cow a while back and have our little buddy all wrapped up in the freezer. Needless to say we have A LOT of beef to use. These sirloin steaks were on the list of needing to be prepared. I thought some onions and russet potatoes would be a great add in our meal too.
Now let’s’ talk Instant Pot steak. There are a lot of differences obviously.
What are all the different types of steak?
- Tenderloin: Filet mignon, Chateaubriand, filet
- New York Strip: NY strip, Manhattan, Kansas City strip, top sirloin, top loin
- Porterhouse: T-bone, date steak
- Ribeye: Entrecote, Delmonico, Scotch fillet, Spencer, market, beauty
- Flank steak
- Skirt steak
The list is long and they all have different textures and prices. The more tender they are the more expensive they tend to be. I will say I am a filet woman myself, but am too cheap to buy that all the time. It’s a treat really. 😉
What is the most flavorful steak?
Of course you always need liquid when cooking anything in an Instant Pot. I chose to use a mixture of beef broth and onion soup! Yes, it adds a ton of flavor all in one little packet.
How much water do I put in pressure cooker for meat?
Most vegetables are cooked with a 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker when the vegetable only needs to cook for 5 minutes. Use 1 cup of water if the cooking time is 5 to 10 minutes. Use 1 1/2 – 2 cups of water if the cooking time is 10 to 20 minutes.
- Keep in mind that other thin sauces count as liquid when accounting for this amount. Such as in our Instant Pot beef and broccoli there was a fair amount of soy sauce used, that adds into the total amount.
Ingredients needed to make steak in the Instant Pot:
- Steak – sirloin was used this time, timing reflects that
- Potatoes – I’ve used 2 russet potatoes with skins on, or 3 red potatoes
- Onion – this is just something I add to almost every recipe
- French onion soup mix or a packet of dry gravy mix
- Beef broth
- Steak sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Cornstarch – to thicken broth at the end if you desire
This is what it looked like once I threw it all in. Yes you could sear the outsides on the saute function with some olive oil but I didn’t do that. Your choice.
Basic steps to follow when making Instant Pot steak and potatoes:
- Brown steak on saute with olive oil first. If you do so deglaze pot after they’re done.
- Pour 1/4 c of your beef stock or both into your pot with sliced onions sprinkled on top.
- Lay seasoned steaks on top of those overlapping the least amount possible.
- Whisk together the rest of your broth with onion soup mix, steak sauce and minced garlic. Pour that on top.
- Place quartered potatoes on sides of meat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Close lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Allow a natural pressure release before doing a quick release.
- This timing is great for 2 sirloins and tender potatoes.
- cutting potatoes smaller will result in fall apart needing to be mashed potatoes
- Remove and thicken broth inside with a bit of cornstarch and serve.
Taste gravy and add up to an additional 1/2 tsp seasonings to your liking.
What to serve with steak in the Instant Pot:
- 1/4 cup of applesauce is my kids’ favorite – sounds silly and more for pork chops but whatever works right?
- Dinner rolls
Want to cook Crockpot steak too? That’s possible, it will just take a lot longer than this will.
- Then try our air fryer steak wrapped with bacon next! It’s not an Instant Pot recipe, but it’s the next favorite appliance in my kitchen and I HIGHLY recommend getting one. Next to my Crock pot these three items are the ONLY methods of cooking for me.
We’ve also made Instant Pot Salisbury steak which uses ground beef but still along the lines of our favorite comfort foods.
You can print the recipe below and let us know what you think!
Steak in the Instant Pot
- Put pot on saute and add olive oil with steaks. Sear on outsides. Remove and deglaze the pot using 1/4 c of broth. Slice onion and put on bottom of pot.
- Season steak with salt, pepper and anything else you desire and place on top of onions. Try to overlap the least possible.
- In a bowl whisk together rest of your broth, onion soup mix/or package of dry gravy mix, steak sauce and minced garlic. Pour this over your steak.
- Cut potatoes into quarters and place inside pot on sides of steak. Sprinkle salt and pepper on potatoes.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release steam when done, this will take about 15 minutes.
- Remove steak, potatoes and onions and set pot to saute if you want to thicken sauce.
- In a bowl whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. Once it is boiling add this in and stir for 1-2 minutes so it thickens. Turn pot off and pour this sauce over potatoes and steak.