Cloves to minced garlic conversion printable chart is here + what to substitute when you cannot find fresh garlic in the stores. I put this in everything!
Do you love using fresh garlic cloves in your cooking? Who doesn’t! But what happens when the options for fresh garlic are no longer available at the grocery store? Then it’s time for a cloves to minced garlic conversion chart! You NEEd to keep a minced garlic jar in your cupboard at all times, just sayin’. Let us share these cooking basics with you. (affiliate links present, originally published 3/21)
Minced Garlic to Cloves
- It can be hard to switch your thinking from fresh garlic cloves to other ways if you’re not familiar with them.
- Fearful of using too much and overwhelming your dish?
- We’re here to help because we use garlic in everything!
- Now, order a jar of minced garlic here so you ALWAYS have some on hand, then we’ll get started.
We live in a world full of options. Sometimes, when you’re cooking and needing a certain ingredient, you find out that those options are suddenly limited or no longer available.
When it comes to garlic, it happens. When it does happen, you need to be prepared.
How Much Minced Garlic Equals a Clove
Perfecting and understanding the garlic cloves to minced garlic conversion is key. This post will help you understand how to do that successfully.
Let’s start with how to get food delivery to your door. Where to order a jar of minced garlic so you ALWAYS have some on hand!
What is a garlic clove minced?
Cloves are garlic are really just whole pieces of garlic that you can purchase at the store. The good news is that you can easily convert to what the recipe calls for with just a little time and effort.
We share how to convert clove garlic equals minced garlic (and vice versa) will just a little bit of measuring and substitution. Raw or air fryer roasted garlic is the same measurements.
To start to mince the garlic clove, peeling the garlic is fine or you can put the garlic clove on a flat surface and use another flat surface (like the flat side of a big knife) to lay on top and pound.
- This breaks the garlic clove and allows you to have it “raw” to begin to mince. After that, mincing is really just a process where you’re chopping up the garlic into small pieces so you can easily add it to recipes.
How to mince garlic cloves
How to select fresh garlic at the store
Making certain that you choose a good garlic bulb is important. You’re going to want to find bulbs that are a good size and have a dried out layering protecting the middle. This signifies that they’re ripe and full of flavor.
How to store fresh garlic
If you don’t break open the bulbs or cloves, you can store them up several weeks at a time in a cool, dry place. (Sometimes up to 4-8 weeks!) If you don’t break open the bulb, you’ll need to use it up within 3-5 days for the best flavor.
Garlic in the Jar
Yes we love garlic cloves in a jar to use on and in just about everything. They preserve well in olive oil and so much better than bought.
Garlic cloves to minced garlic conversion
If you’re looking for the conversation aspects for various garlic uses, here are some that you should know if you are substituting items.
These conversions are basing everything off of a fresh clove of garlic, but you can at least use this as a basis and adjust if you’re not needing a full clove.
- Here is the garlic conversion printable so you can keep it on hand too!
1 Clove of Garlic Equals How Many Tablespoons
If you feel like after changing out the conversions above that you’re still not getting a strong enough garlic flavor, try increasing your garlic additions by 1/2 teaspoons.
- This will give you a little more flavor at a time until you reach your desired garlic taste and flavor.
Now do you need information on minced garlic to garlic powder?
If you’re really in a pinch you can use this which I’m sure you have in your pantry right now.
How much garlic powder is equal to a tablespoon of minced garlic?
- 3 teaspoons or 1 tablespoon of minced garlic to powdered garlic would equal 3/4 of a teaspoon of garlic powder. If you needed 1/4 Tablespoon garlic you’d cut the others by 4 as listed in the chart.
3 Cloves Garlic Minced
Is garlic powder the same as minced garlic?
No, it’s not. Minced garlic is bigger pieces of typically more fresh garlic while garlic powder is a processed ingredient that is shelf-stable and doesn’t require refrigeration.
Minced garlic will also typically have a stronger garlic flavor just because it is fresher and more potent.
Is crushed and minced garlic the same?
It’s similar, but not the same. Crushed garlic is literally where it is mashed and could even become almost like a paste where minced garlic is chopped into small pieces using a knife and added into the recipe that way.
Substitutions when Fresh Garlic isn’t Available
If your recipe calls for fresh garlic but that just isn’t an option, here are some simple substitutions that you can use instead.
Garlic Cloves to Minced
- Granulated Garlic is coarser than garlic powder that you’re used to here in the US
- My favorite garlic salt is just that, it has the addition of salt into the mix
- Garlic Flakes are slices that have been dried as you can see below
- Juice from garlic cloves isn’t used very often, but is out there
As you can tell, these are all still “garlic” or have the flavors of garlic and they’ll be able to substitute in your recipe just fine.
- It’s also equally as important to understand that each of these will require you to adjust the amount that you’re adding to the recipe because they’re all different in flavor and strength.
What type of foods does garlic pair well with?
Literally almost anything. This is why garlic is such a popular addition to recipes. It goes well with all types of meats and can be such a great enhancement to vegetables as well.
Our pull apart bread is probably our favorite side dish.
It’s used a lot in stir-fry and soup recipes and some people even roast up garlic bulbs and cloves whole and just eat them like candy!
- When garlic is roasted, using a little bit of olive oil with the recipe can make such a huge difference.
- The roasting process is low and slow and it allows the flavors to really come out wonderfully.
- You can make our homemade flour tortilla recipe and dip it inside!
Garlic cloves to minced garlic conversion substitutions
It’s time to try your hand at figuring out how to use garlic in your recipes as well.
You may just find that even when fresh garlic isn’t available, the substitutes work out perfectly fine!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Minced garlic recipes
- Make some seafood pasta with minced garlic tonight.
- Our Crockpot Hawaiian chicken uses fresh or chopped.
- Same as this Crockpot crack chicken recipe.
- This is the best garlic bread recipe is great, or make smoked bread on your Traeger.
- Try our easy Instant Pot taco bowls with flavorful hamburger.
Cheesy potato casserole has some in it too with bacon and other goodies.
Cloves to Minced Garlic Conversion
- 1 paper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 whole clove is the same as 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp granulated garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic juice
- Save conversions to use for recipes
Friday 2nd of July 2021
Very helpful!... but do you have knowledge of whether I can mince fresh garlic and add it to my jar of minced? I know I can make my own, and I may have to do that. But I'm not a big fan of garlic so it would be nice to have it all in one refrigerated container.
Wednesday 3rd of February 2021
I love my garlic, it’s a must in my great grandmothers Old Country Spaghetti Sauce, I also use my own homemade garlic flavored Exrea Virgin Olive on my 1-1/4” thick Porterhouse Steaks grilled at a high temp using Red & White Oak coals with just a small amount of Hickory until they are medium rare, my Garlic Buttered & Breaded Chicken Breast Roll Ups fried in a well seasoned Iron Skillet have become a favorite over the years for my friends and family, I use minced and crushed cloves (when available) in the majority of my main course dishes, even the picky eating grandkids always ask if Popaw is cooking spaghetti sauce whenever they are coming over to eat supper with us, or spending the weekend, I’m looking forward to trying some of the recipes you’ have listed on this site.
Saturday 10th of October 2020
I'm a Cajun momma down here in Southeast Texas. I buy my garlic in the 1 1/4 lb bags. I peel and mince the whole thing all at once. Time consuming initially, but in the long run, it saves tons of time. Once all the garlic is peeled and the dried ends slivered off, I pulse it in my mini chopper and put it in a mason jar with some olive oil and keep it in my fridge. It keeps for a few weeks and I've always got fresh garlic handy.
Wednesday 12th of August 2020
I've printed this and taped it inside my spice cabinet! SO HANDY! Thank you for all the yummy ways to add garlic to my cooking!
Wednesday 12th of August 2020
There is no such as too much garlic in our family! Thanks for all the great info!