Crockpot Hawaiian chicken has only 5 ingredients! Some call this slow cooker pineapple chicken because it’s sweet with a bit of a barbecue kick to it!
Crockpot Hawaiian chicken is sweet chicken breast that can be shredded for even more fun dinnertime ideas. If you love healthy, easy, Crockpot recipes too I bet this will be a hit in your home.
I first made this Instant Pot Hawaiian pulled pork. It was incredible and we all loved the sweet and tanginess of this dish.
- Now it was time to use this basic idea in a slow cooker recipe using chicken.
If you too love slow cooker recipes of all kinds, you’re going to go crazy over this one. First let’s go over a few resources:
Once you find a great sauce you’ve gotta’ use it on all the things I say, so using whole chicken breasts were next. If you’re a super fan of thighs instead, then use those by all means.
You can plan to make these chicken breasts a few different ways. Serve them whole once done, or shred the meat once it’s fall apart tender and slap some inside tortillas for tacos!
Here are a few questions you might have before getting started on this:
Just as it sounds, it’s chicken cooked in pineapple and barbecue sauces. This makes for an incredible meal. It is so easy we have even used it to make our simple Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe too.
The names are interchangeable really. Kailua, Aloha and or Hawaiian chicken may refer to the same dish as you see here. All have the tropical flavors you love and are served over warm rice.
Crockpot chicken recipes are just the best. Setting it to low is the best way to go. Hurrying things up isn’t the best idea for this method of cooking. SLOW cooker it’s called remember. 😉
As always you can certainly make your own homemade barbecue sauce or use bottled doctored up as you see here.
Slow cooker Hawaiian chicken
- Chicken breasts
- boneless, skinless
- Crushed pineapple
- Barbecue sauce
- if you like sweet heat this is our favorite
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Soy sauce is optional but I usually add it in
- Could add large chunks of bell pepper
- Diced green onions for serving
Ok so this is a bit like our Crockpot bbq chicken recipe except we left the breasts whole this time and added more than 3 ingredients. That is a good one too if you want another throw together recipe.
What does pineapple do to chicken?
Pineapple is a fruit that pairs well with beef, pork, chicken and some types of fish. While giving your meat a great deal of flavor, pineapple juice helps tenderize your meat as well.
- Whether you use it in your Instant Pot or slow cooker it does the same thing.
- The enzyme in pineapple, digests protein which softens the tissues before cooking it.
Steps to take when making this slow cooker Hawaiian chicken recipe with bbq sauce.
Time needed: 7 hours.
Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
- Add ingredients
Lay breasts or chicken thighs into your pot. Add the pineapple chunks over the top.
In a small bowl mix together bbq sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, soy sauce and salt. Pour this over the chicken as well.
Put lid on and cook on high heat for 4-5 hours or 6-8 hours until chicken is done to correct temperature in the middle to 165 degrees.
Crockpot Hawaiian chicken
If you’re looking for a low carb dish you can serve it as is or with a side of quinoa.
- I usually serve it with a side of white rice or mixed vegetables.
- A side of crispy brussel sprouts with bacon is great too.
- If I shred it and serve it as soft tacos I load up on avocado and sour cream on top. It’s an easy recipe to throw together in the morning and serve for taco Tuesdays in our house.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes?
- We share a bunch of easy Instant Pot chicken recipes in this post.
- These Crockpot chicken sliders are a quick meal too.
Our Instant Pot Hawaiian chicken has similar flavors, but a much faster cooking time. It’s made diced up into bite size pieces in the beginning. Both are great but this one comes out a bit saucier than the first.
Have leftover chicken? Use it in this easy chicken pot pie recipe!
You can print recipe below. Enjoy friends!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
- Lay chicken breasts into your pot. Pour pineapple over the top.
- In a bowl mix together bbq sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, soy sauce and salt. Pour this over the chicken as well.
- Put lid on and cook on high for 4-5 hours or 6-8 hours until chicken is done to correct temperature in the middle to 165 degrees.
- Slice or shred and serve over rice or inside tortillas for tacos. If shredding I would shred meat, submerge in liquid, and cover for an additional 20 minutes or so to soak up more of the juices.