Super easy crockpot chicken fajitas recipe your whole family will love!! Our favorite slow cooker chicken recipe that’s cheap, really easy and a healthy meal too.
We are all about easy crockpot recipes here at The Typical Mom. This crockpot chicken fajitas recipe is another great one in the cheap and healthy category. Let us know if this is your favorite crockpot recipe! (originally published 8/16, affiliate links present)
These ingredients are healthy, incorporate veggies, and tastes amazing stuffed inside a small tortilla with toppings. I have done this throughout the whole year. If you are someone who only thinks about their Crock in the Fall, don’t!! Yes I do love my pressure cooker but when we have a really busy day I still love this baby.
Use either chicken breasts or thighs. I tend to choose breasts just because they take a bit longer to cook but large thighs would work as well. The latter is a bit cheaper and does have more flavor than the other too so go with your favorite cut really.
Frozen Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
You can make this one with fresh, defrosted or frozen chicken breasts. Thighs work too if you prefer dark meat over white. Believe it or not, the cook time doesn’t change with it either way. SO if you’re forgetful like me at times this may save dinner for sure.
We love this dish SO much we have ventured out and made air fryer fajitas too the other week. I used shrimp once and then thin strips of beef the next. Those are amazing and do have a different crispy texture on the outside for sure. I suggest you try both with your brood and see which you prefer.
OR just mix it up because you could use a different protein each week and serve them up more often that way. Fixings really make a huge difference too. I mean those possibilities are endless. Salsa is just the beginning. It is best if you set up a fajita bar for dinner and add ALL the things on the countertop to load ’em up!
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas with Fajita Seasoning
I will start by saying I typically do not like onions or bell peppers in anything, other than this and our fajita soup. BUT they get so very tender in this and add so much flavor that I can overlook it, and quite enjoy them.
- These and a multitude of seasonings give the slow cooker chicken fajitas so much flavor though!!
It is easy to make homemade taco or fajita seasoning you see here. Packaged or in a jar already made works too if you want a real throw it together dish in the morning. I will share how to make it yourself too though. If you find that you make it quite often just make it in bulk! Store it in a container and then you don’t need to measure going forward.
Even if you don’t eat those and just eat the chicken it is the tenderest and very flavorful. You literally throw everything in, cover and cook on high for a short cook time and it’s done.
- I actually prefer it for a longer duration on low especially if I’m gone all day but that’s your choice. Either way it’s my kind of favorite gluten free meal!
YeS! They are packed with nutritious ingredients including lean protein, and fiber. That means they’re not only good for your body but also that you’ll feel satisfied and full for a long time after your meal
This is thanks to all the protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
- If you don’t have a larger slow cooker, this one is my favorite. I use it often for this dish and our boneless skinless chicken thighs Crockpot recipe too.
I used a whole onion and 2 bell peppers, you could use more if you wanted for sure. You put them on top of your chicken breasts which have all of your spices sprinkled on top of those.
You could buy and use the packet of fajitas or taco seasoning you find in the store but really you can use what is in your cupboard. That’s really a mixture of seasoning salt, cumin and some heat like chili powder.
- Chop onion and bell peppers into large chunks. Slice chicken breasts in half if they are thick, then place at bottom of pot.
- Sprinkle meat with taco seasoning and cumin, can add any others you love but this is our go to.
- Put onion and bell peppers on top of meat, then pour jar of salsa on top of everything.
Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours, high heat is not recommended as you want low and slow so it’s fork tender. Shred meat, stir, and serve inside tortillas with sour cream and cheese!
Slow cooker chicken fajitas
- Chicken breasts
- use the best fajita seasoning here to make your chicken taste incredible
- or buy ready made taco seasoning
I like using medium sized breasts. If you can only find them quite large, I’d recommend slicing each one in half before adding into your pot.
- Bell peppers
- really add all the peppers and onions you want
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Jar of salsa
- if you don’t want any heat you could substitute for the same amount of diced tomatoes
Toppings are many and you can of course choose a few or a lot – cheese, sour cream, avocado. Some like a squeeze of lime juice on top.
3 Ingredient Crockpot Fajitas
The main three are the meat, salsa and seasoning packet. The rest are optional but highly suggested to make it bulked up with lots of veggies and onions. If you wanted to add heat to make it spicy I would suggest diced roasted jalapanos.
Add more chili powder or cayenne powder if you want more spice or less salt if you’re watching your intake but these measurements turn out amazing for us! It is a pretty inexpensive and quite healthy crock pot recipe too which I love.
I like topping our fajita tacos with some sour cream, a slice of avocado, some shredded spicy jack cheese and could add some salsa too.
- The chicken is really flavorful and is great the next day too if you have anything leftover.
How do you serve fajitas?
Typically they’re served with flour tortillas on the side. Then you fill them with your choice of fillings. Tortillas are rolled next to your plate and then eaten with your fingers. Some spread soft fillings like refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, or melted cheese inside. Then add the strips of beef, chicken, or seafood on top with any garnishes.
Looking for more easy cheap crockpot recipes?
- This Crockpot hamburger helper recipe is wildly popular with everyone.
- Homemade Crockpot slit pea soup is healthy and made from scratch with dry peas.
- Then try our easy bbq pulled pork crockpot recipe for dinner
Printable recipe is below with nutritional information listed too.
What do you serve with chicken fajitas?
Of course the possibilities are endless and focus on what you’d put on tacos really. These include:
- guacamole or slices of avocado are my all time favorite topping.
- pico de gallo and/or salsa can be store bought or homemade as well.
- a lot of shredded mixed cheeses is a must for us. The already done Mexican blend at the store is usually what I grab because it has more taco seasonings sprinkled within it too.
- shredded lettuce
- refried beans are great because they are easy to prepare when canned. BUT if you have never made these babies homemade you should. Click on the blue link above and give them a whirl, you will likely never go back.
- enchilada rice
- sour cream
Air fryer vegetables are great on the side too, probably our favorite choice. You really don’t need an additional side dish though. There are veggies inside and adding cabbage or something inside is pretty yummy if you want to add even more.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Chop onion and bell peppers into large chunks. Place chicken breasts at bottom of pot (if breasts are unusually thick and large cut them in half first). Sprinkle meat with taco seasoning and cumin.
- Put onion and bell peppers on top of meat, then pour jar of salsa on top of everything.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Shred meat, stir, and serve inside tortillas with sour cream and cheese!
Tuesday 2nd of July 2019
Is there anyway I could convert these fajitas from crock pot to instant pot/mealthy pot?
Saturday 27th of January 2018
I made this with chicken cut into fahita strips. Let it cook the full time. Big mistake, good flavor but the chicken was dry and all of it was to bland. Will have with salsa and use full breasts next time
Thursday 9th of February 2017
I don't see that you added any liquid to cook this... the chicken doesn't dry out?
Tuesday 26th of May 2020
I cooked with chicken broth. Cause I don't understand how you don't put any liquid in it. It turned out amazing. Definitely going to make this more often.