Super easy crockpot chicken fajitas recipe your whole family will love!! Our favorite slow cooker recipe that’s cheap, really easy and a healthy meal too.
We are all about easy crockpot recipes here at The Typical Mom and this crockpot chicken fajitas recipe is another great one. It’s ingredients are healthy, incorporate veggies, and tastes amazing stuffed inside a small tortilla with toppings. Let us know if this is your favorite crockpot recipe! (originally published 8/16)
- I will start by saying I typically do not like onions or bell peppers in anything. These and a multitude of seasonings give the slow cooker chicken fajitas so much flavor though!!
Even if you don’t eat those and just eat the chicken it is the tenderest and very flavorful. You literally throw everything in, cover and cook on high for a short cook time and it’s done.
- I actually prefer it for a longer duration on low especially if I’m gone all day but that’s your choice. Either way it’s my kind of favorite gluten free meal!
Are chicken fajitas healthy?
YeS! They are packed with nutritious ingredients including lean protein, and fiber. That means they’re not only good for your body but also that you’ll feel satisfied and full for a long time after your meal.
This is thanks to all the protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
- If you don’t have a larger slow cooker, this one is my favorite.
I used a whole onion and 2 bell peppers, you could use more if you wanted for sure.
You put them on top of your chicken breasts which have all of your spices sprinkled on top of those.
- You could buy and use the packet of fajitas or taco seasoning you find in the store but really you can use what is in your cupboard.
- That’s really a mixture of seasoning salt, cumin and some heat like chili powder.
What you need to make easy crockpot chicken fajitas
- Chicken breasts
- use the best fajita seasoning here to make your chicken taste incredible
- or buy ready made taco seasoning
- I like using medium sizes, if quite large slice chicken in half before adding
- Bell peppers
- really add all the peppers and onions you want
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Jar of salsa
- if you don’t want any heat you could substitute for the same amount of diced tomatoes
- Toppings – cheese, sour cream, avocado
- some like a squeeze of lime juice on top
Add more chili powder or cayenne powder if you want more spice or less salt if you’re watching your intake but these measurements turn out amazing for us! It is a pretty inexpensive and quite healthy crock pot recipe too which I love.
I like topping our fajita tacos with some sour cream, a slice of avocado, some shredded spicy jack cheese and could add some salsa too.
- The chicken is really flavorful and is great the next day too if you have anything leftover.
How do you serve fajitas?
Typically they’re served with flour tortillas on the side. Then you fill them with your choice of fillings.
Tortillas are rolled next to your plate and then eaten with your fingers. Some spread soft fillings like refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, or melted cheese inside.
- Then add the strips of beef, chicken, or seafood on top with any garnishes.
Looking for more easy cheap crockpot recipes?
- This Crockpot hamburger helper recipe is wildly popular with everyone.
- Homemade Crockpot slit pea soup is healthy and made from scratch with dry peas.
- Then try our easy bbq pulled pork crockpot recipe for dinner
Printable recipe is below with nutritional information listed too.
What do you serve with chicken fajitas?
Of course the possibilities are endless and focus on what you’d put on tacos really. These include:
- pico de gallo and/or salsa
- shredded cheese
- shredded lettuce
- refried beans
- Spanish rice
- grilled vegetables are great on the side
- sour cream
Crockpot chicken fajitas
- Chop onion and bell peppers into large chunks. Place chicken breasts at bottom of pot (if breasts are unusually thick and large cut them in half first). Sprinkle with taco seasoning and cumin.
- Put onion and bell peppers on top of meat, then pour jar of salsa on top of everything.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Shred meat, stir, and serve inside tortillas with sour cream and cheese!
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉