Air Fryer Fajitas are so easy to make! We’ve made this with shrimp, chicken and beef with a dry rub, onions and bell peppers. They were great in our Ninja Foodi and Cosori machines.
These low carb keto air fryer fajitas are amazing! Made with a beef dry rub and as many vegetables as you’d like you too can make this easy air fryer recipe for dinner for your family. (originally published 7/19, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Fajitas
We will show you 3 different styles we’ve made thus far. Whether you use strips of beef, shrimp or make our chicken fajita tacos, they are high in protein with TONS of flavor. You choose which one you like the best.
You can make this in any brand you have. I currently use an AirWave (seen below), Cosori and Ninja Foodi air crisp. They all basically work the same, the biggest difference is the size of the air fryer basket.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Air Fryer Shrimp Fajitas
This is one style. We also have made this with strips of beef or steak and both are amazing. Just one of many great air fryer beef recipes we love for dinner. The trick with the meat is to make it bite size. Not only does this make it easier to serve and eat but it absorbs more flavor too.
If you do choose to use seafood don’t buy the precooked type. You want raw so you aren’t basically cooking it twice and drying the meat out. This is a great way to add all the things with veggies too. I mean onions and bell peppers are the obvious ones but you could go well beyond that.
I would suggest trying them both and serving it next to some brown rice or inside of tortillas. It is one of our very favorite meals and it really isn’t very expensive at all to feed all of us. Serve a larger group in no time. You can just make them in batches so it’s fresh every time someone wants another serving.
Air Fryer Beef Fajitas
Both are made quite similarly. You use the same dry rub and olive oil as listed below in the printable recipe card. Just the meat is swapped out. I used 2 bags of precooked, thawed out bags of medium shrimp.
The bag said there were 41-60 pieces in each one so I’d guess there was a total of 100 or so. Only prep for these is to rinse them, remove the tails, lay on paper towels and pat dry so the seasonings will stick well.
Air fryer fajitas ingredients
- Beef cut into thin slices – you could slice t bone or flank steak, any kind really works
- or medium defrosted, precooked shrimp with tails removed
- Bell peppers and onions
- Olive oil
Fajita seasoning you need to make the best dry rub for beef.
We’ve made this fajita marinade before too but this is how to make fajita seasoning dry rub that isn’t as messy. Your choice.
- Bell peppers
- you can add large chunks of zucchini too
- chopped shallots work well, onions…
- Garlic salt
- Garlic powder
- Dry Sriracha
Add as much or little chili powder you want for heat. We like ours mild medium so we don’t add much.
Air Fryer Steak Fajitas
We will start with how to make steak fajitas in air fryer. First, slice meat. Then you’ll add 2 tbsp. of your olive oil and mix together so the seasonings will stick well.
- Then mix your dry marinade together and dump that in too.
- Mix so all meat is coated well.
- Next add your slices of onion and bell peppers so everything gets flavorful throughout.
I like to preheat my air fryer at 390 for 3 minutes but if you forget it isn’t a huge deal breaker.
- Add half of your mixture into your air fryer basket so it doesn’t overlap.
- Timing will depend on how well done you like your meat.
- 7-10 minutes has worked well for us depending on how thick our beef strips are.
Air Fryer Fajitas Vegetarian
You could chop up some broccoli, smaller pieces of cauliflower, leeks and leave the protein out if you’d rather too. It is important to have just one layer so everything gets done at the same time. You don’t want your meat pink in one spot because a piece of bell pepper was laying on top of it.
- The thinner you slice your vegetables the softer they will be in the end too. So, slice accordingly.
I imagine you could use thinly sliced chicken breast to do the same thing, and make air fryer chicken fajitas.
I haven’t done that yet. When I do I will add any additional cook time details but I’d imagine it would be on the lower end. Maybe 6 minutes would do it.
How can you cook fajitas?
Well we have made Instant Pot fajitas as well and those were yummy. In the past we’ve enjoyed crockpot chicken fajitas and now we’re here to show you the air fryer method too.
We’ve made sheet pan steak fajitas too in our oven.
What goes with fajitas?
- We serve ours inside small flour tortillas topped with:
- slices of avocado or guacamole
- sour cream
- pico de gallo salsa
What cut of beef is best for fajitas?
Rump, skirt, or flank steaks are typically the best cuts of beef for fajitas! Skirt steak is tenderer and more flavorful than flank most people say. It can be cooked well done too without getting too tough.
What is the difference between skirt steak and flank steak?
Skirt steak is a thin long cut of beef from the muscles of the cow. It has a more beefy flavor than flank. To get the tenderest texture it should really only be cooked to rare or medium rare.
- It’s great in our steak fajita cups too.
Other air fryer dinner recipes you should try:
- Air fried chicken recipe is great but air fryer scallops bring a meal to the next level
- Kids love air fryer hot dogs
- This air fryer roast beef is on our list to try next
- Then try air fryer chicken thighs for a healthy meal
Follow directions for both air fryer recipe ideas and let us know what you think:
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Fajitas
- 1 lb beef flank or skirt steak is best cut into strips, defrosted raw shrimp, or strips of chicken
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1/2 large onion sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder or more
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry sriracha or more for more heat
- Put your sliced meat into a bowl and pour 2 tbsp of your olive oil on top. Mix together. If using shrimp: rinse, remove tails, place on paper towels and pat dry.
- Combine all your spices in a small bowl and mix together well, then add in with meat and stir to coat.
- Add sliced bell peppers and onions and add your remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil on top. Stir so vegetables and meat are all coated well.
- Preheat your air fryer at 390 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Add half your fajita mixture into basket and spread out so there is little overlap.
- Set to 390 degrees for a total of 7 minutes for beef or 5 minutes for shrimp, shake basket halfway thru. If you want your meat to be more well done then just add 1 more minute and check again. Timing will depend on how well done you like your meat and how thick your slices were.
- Put in second half of batch and do the same. Then serve inside small tortillas topped with sour cream, avocado, etc…
Tuesday 19th of January 2021
Made steak and chicken fajitas. Delicious!! Better than any restaurant fajitas. Can’t believe how simple and quick these are to make it!
The Typical Mom
Thursday 21st of January 2021
Saturday 7th of November 2020
This is a wonderful air fryer fajita recipe. The drawback is there's no juice if you choose to serve over rice.
Sunday 26th of July 2020
So simple yet delicious; thank you for a great recipe!
Tuesday 14th of January 2020
These turned out amazing!! thank you so much!
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 15th of January 2020
Yay so glad!!!