Air Fryer hot dogs or chili dogs are the perfect quick dinner idea our whole family loves! Load your buns up with toppings & they come out nice & crispy.
Looking to make a batch of easy air fryer hot dogs or chili dogs for dinner tonight??!! Well we perfected how to make a crispy hot dog and bun lathered with chili, cheese and onions if you want. It is a great throw together meal that the kids ask for all the time now! We’ve got a lot of other easy air fryer recipes here too. (originally published 2/19, participant in the Amazon program, affiliate links present)
Have you tried to make air fryer hot dogs yet??
If not you’ve come to the right place. We are all about easy family meals for those busy nights when you only have about 20 minutes to prepare and cook something.
We started with making Instant Pot hot dogs which are great but not crispy at all…and when it comes to dogs we love them crispy on the outside. Now that we have a Ninja Foodi we can pressure cook them if we want, and then use the air fryer to crisp them. For this recipe we are just using the air fryer function though.
- Find more Ninja Foodi recipes here too.
- Then LIKE our easy air fryer recipes page to get new ideas for meals and snack ideas daily!
Best tasting hot dogs
- That is very subjective depending on the person
- When it comes to processed meats I prefer Boars Head hot dogs hands down
- I don’t always have them on hand though, thus the photo above which was what I found that day and what was on sale
Best hot dog buns
- Once again this is subjective
- For us we like Hawaiian hot dog buns which bring a bit of sweetness, salty-sweet is the best
- Fresh and soft is great because they will get crispy on the edges when making air fryer hot dogs
Best hot dog chili recipe
- We use our 5 ingredient dump chili that can be made in the pressure cooker, crockpot or just thrown together and warmed on the stovetop.
How to cook hot dogs in the air fryer
- You will need an air fryer basket, some like the Ninja Foodi have a removable basket and some are attached.
- Place hot dogs by themselves inside the basket, no need to pierce them.
- Close air fryer lid
- Turn machine on
- Press air crisp, or button on your machine to turn air fryer function on
- Set to 375 degrees
- You’ll be air frying for 6-8 minutes
- timing depends on how crisp you like them on the outside
- if you’re continuing on to make chili cheese dogs then set air fryer and cook for 6 minutes
Best hot dog toppings
- Diced onions
- Shredded cheese
Best canned hot dog chili when making air fryer hot dogs into chili cheese dogs
- We could probably get into a debate on this one but for us we choose this canned chili over the others
Once you’ve completed the initial stage of making air fryer hot dogs by themselves, then it’s time to transform them into chili cheese dogs.
- Ours come out looking like this!
Seriously the slightly crispy hot dog underneath, with the edges of the buns toasted and smothered with chili and cheese. OH MY!!
Here are a few other air fryer recipes you’ll love:
You can print recipe below and keep it on hand for all your holiday get togethers, or for an after school snack. Nutritional information such as saturated fat and calories will vary with brands.
Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Put 2-4 hot dogs inside your air fryer (add as many as you like as long as they don't overlap - keep in mind that typically only 2-3 prepared chili cheese dogs will fit at one time)
- Turn machine on, press air crisp, set to 375 degrees and cook for 6 minutes (8 if you want them quite crispy on outside).
- Serve if you just want air fryer hot dogs.If you want air fryer chili dogs put these cooked hot dogs inside buns.
- Spoon about 2 oz. of chili on top of hot dog in bun, add diced onions if you want on top of this, and then sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese on the very top.
- Close lid and set again to 375 degrees for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown enough for you. (4 min. is perfect for us)
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉