Air fryer pigs in a blanket are my kids favorite snacks! Easy recipe to make with crescent rolls and hot dogs that turns out crunchy to perfection every time.
If you ask my girls these air fryer pigs in a blanket are true perfection! Now that they’re older they can make this easy air fryer recipe themselves, a great way to start cooking I say.
Let’s go over a few details about what we have at home:
- We have both the Ninja Foodi and a Cosori which is featured here
- You can grab a cookbook here. 😉
- and a free air fryer cooking times chart.
- Sign up for my free newsletter so you can get new recipes via. email too!
- You’ll find more Ninja air fryer recipes here too.
- Join my Ninja Recipes group or air fryer recipes Facebook page for more recipes.
You could even use a Ninja Foodi Grill to make the best pigs in a blanket recipe ever.
Now let’s talk about the pigs in a blanket ingredients you’ll need:
- Can of refrigerated crescent rolls or sheet
- occasionally you can find what says sheet on the outside, this is better because there are no perforations
- Hot dogs
- my favorite is Hebrew National or any brand that offers uncured meat
- Non stick cooking spray
- olive oil spray is my jam
- Knife to score the wieners
What is a crescent roll? Well, it’s pretty much a crescent shaped puff pastry. Pillsbury makes this type of pre made puff pastry dough you see here. It was invented in the United States in the 1960’s and is used for a multitude of recipes such as this one.
- We’ve used them to make air fryer sticky buns and quick cinnamon rolls
- Peanut butter and jelly donuts use them too
Since they didn’t have crescent sheets at my local grocery store I just pinched all of the perforations together so it was pretty smooth.
- Then I made it easier on myself by using a pizza cutter to create strips width wise to wrap around my hot dogs.
- This worked pretty well and start to finish they were done in less than 10 minutes!
I suppose you might be able to use puff pastry too but I haven’t tried that. You just don’t want a dough that is really thick or else the inside will remain doughy while the meat is overcooked.
Now to ensure your hot dogs get warm inside too I scored one side three times with a knife as you see here. That was key to not ending up with perfection outside and cold meat inside.
- Leaving them inside your air fryer basket for a few minutes once the cook time is up is an important step in the process too.
- Yes you could use cocktail franks instead but to me that would be really labor intensive so I used whole weiners instead.
If you wanted to make this into an air fryer appetizer of sorts you could very easily use lil’ smokies and follow these same instructions. I might take off a minute though and test to see how brown they got.
Now just roll ’em up! Since the crescents are a bit sticky when they’re raw I decided to spray the inside of my basket with olive oil spray, that helped a lot.
- I also think preheating your air fryer is an important step too. This step ensures that you’ll get an even cook throughout your cook time.
- If you forget don’t freak out, it just will take an extra minute or so.
- In just 3 minutes the outsides were a golden brown BUT I made sure to leave them in for another three minutes in order for the insides to warm.
- I used this same technique when making air fryer corn dogs.
- This step was very important, otherwise the hot dog inside ended up being slightly cold. NO good.
Including preheating time these pigs in a blanket in an air fryer only take 10 minutes flat to cook to perfection!
Want to make just plain air fryer hot dogs or corn dogs? We have done that too and they’re great!
- Now of course you can serve these with ketchup and regular yellow mustard BUT our 4 ingredient mustard pretzel dip is better!
- Want to make homemade pretzel dough and wrap that around instead? You can try that.
Looking for other easy air fryer recipes your kids will love?
- Air fryer SPAM and potatoes was a winner in our house
- You can really air fry everything like bacon or frozen french fries in an air fryer and they’re better than in the oven!
- Frozen pizza in air fryer is always fun for them to make themselves, they even love my baked brie!
Now here is the printable recipe to follow so you can enjoy these too. Sign up for our free newsletter to get more recipes and free printables via. email.
Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket
- 6 hot dogs
- 1 roll crescent rolls or crescent sheet is better
- Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Roll out crescent roll sheet but do not pull pieces apart, rather pinch perforations so it is one solid sheet. (sometimes you can find what says crescent sheet on the outside, that is better)
- Use a pizza slicer widthwise to slice 2" long pieces.
- Score each hot dogs 3 times (not all the way through) on one side (see photo).
- Start with the bottom of the crescent and hot dog and roll it up to the top so almost the whole hot dog is wrapped (ends will be showing).
- Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick spray and place wrapped dogs inside.
- Cook at 360 degrees for 3 minutes, then leave them inside the basket without opening it for 3 more minutes to continue to warm the inside of the meat.