Here’s a free printable refrigerator clean out checklist to help keep you on task and clean our your kitchen this month! Tips on cleaning your refrigerator and freezer quickly while you purge.
Ok so it’s time for a refrigerator clean out!! I know, but it really needs to be done every few months (especially if you have kids). In a perfect world our fridge would be perfectly organized with all the labels facing forward, nothing left inside that was expired, and there would never be spills!! Well, that’s not reality…at least not in my mom world. 😉 Here are a few tips and a refrigerator clean out checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything and can breathe a sigh of relief when you’re done too. This post brought to you by Green Works and is one of our most helpful organization printables! The content and opinions expressed below are that of The Typical Mom. (originally posted 2/17)
I don’t know about you but it makes me feel a lot better after I’ve purged my freezer and refrigerator, and cleaned the shelves that have been neglected. It’s like an inner cleanse….or something like that. LOL. I swear every time I get done I can breathe a bit easier and am not ashamed when people come over and say “I’ll just pop this in the fridge until we’re ready to cook”. Yes there are times when I cringe because it has been far too long since the last good purge.
I’m almost embarrassed to post this picture of my fridge but to be quite honest when I go over to my friends’ houses who have kids they don’t look much different.
Over time things are thrown in, not organized, and many times there are a few bottles of the same thing but nobody notices….that’s the time to do a major clean out!
First thing first, I like doing this by myself. I typically engage my kids to help when cleaning is involved but I think it is easier to purge and clean when I can organize it all on the counters, and not have little hands grabbing things out of the fridge in the process.
It is a helpful guide to focus on one room at a time and this refrigerator clean out checklist is a great addition to that when you focus on the kitchen.
This are the steps I take when cleaning out my refrigerator and organizing it.
Refrigerator Clean Out
- Start with the items on the door
- Take out each thing, starting from the top butter storage, and check the date
- If it is expired toss it, if it is good put it on the counter
- Once everything on that shelf on the door is out, remove it and close the refrigerator door
- Put the shelf on the counter and spray with Clorox Green Works® spray
- Wipe clean with a paper towel (it removes dirt and stickiness well without scrubbing)
- Rinse your shelf off with water and dry off
- If you want to save yourself time cleaning your fridge next time, line the top of each shelf with press n seal wrap
- Return clean shelf to the fridge and put back items that you’re keeping and aren’t expired
- Continue doing this with all shelves on the door, then move to shelves inside fridge
- Remove produce drawers, follow same purging steps, wipe clean/rinse using the same process
- Print out the Refrigerator Clean Out printable checklist you see here in green, or here’s a black and white printer friendly version of this refrigerator clean out checklist too to make sure you don’t miss anything along the way!
If you purge and clean your fridge every few months it doesn’t become a daunting task, and using an all purpose cleaner that doesn’t leave a harsh chemical residue while removing the grime and stickiness that comes with having kids makes it easier too.
If you are someone who likes to organize your house a little at a time and not get overwhelmed you should refer to my free monthly cleaning schedule ebook, and these other cleaning printables.
- Garage organization ideas
- Best way to organize school keepsakes and paperwork
- Backyard clean up
- Weekly house cleaning schedule
If you’re purging your refrigerator in conjunction with a move we have a move in move out cleaning printable to refer to as well.
If you’ve never used it it’s easy to save with Cartwheel APP right on your phone…..which always makes your wallet happy too. Double bonus! 😉