This is how easy it is to make Instant Pot hot dogs. Cheap and easy dinner you can make during the summertime, for a potluck, picnic or year round really. This favorite food for kids only takes a few minutes to become plump and juicy, ready for all the fixings. Use cased or traditional wieners and follow this hot dog pressure cooker recipe.
Hot dogs and kids just kinda’ go together. They are an easy meal for lunch or dinner and perfect during the summer when you’re outside and have friends over. There are several methods of heating them up and now there is another using your pressure cooker. In just ONE minute in most cases you can cook these Instant Pot hot dogs so they are plump and ready to be smothered with your favorite toppings! One of the easiest Instant Pot recipes kids love here on The Typical Mom.
- We started by making these Instant Pot brats and sauerkraut. My husband loved those, but the kids just wanted some good old fashioned hot dogs.
The sausages we used for that were uncooked so they took a bit longer. They tasted amazing using beer, we used water to cook/steam these.
Since our Instant Pot hot dogs are precooked I knew it wouldn’t take long at all.
I first started with these traditional wieners we found at the store for $.99, you know the kind. They were fatter than regular cheapo hot dogs but that didn’t matter as far as the timing was concerned, they just plumped up more.
Regular hot dogs you buy in the store traditionally don’t have a casing around them, meaning the outer “skin” you would see on a traditional sausage, so they don’t take much more than a minute.
I personally prefer sausage and hot dogs with a casing, but a tough one, because I think they taste better, typically are made with more quality meats, and have that sort of snap to them when bitten into.
I’ll tell you how to cook both, hot dogs with casings and those without (aka cheapo hot dogs ;))
Really you can cook a bunch of them using this pressure cooker hot dog method, just throw them in and set the timer. WAY easier than waiting for water to boil on the stovetop like I used to do!
Here’s what you need to make some easy Instant Pot hot dogs
- Hot dogs
- 1 beer
- 1/2 beer 1/2 water
- Add into liquid if desired for flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
We have a recipe for air fryer hot dogs you can try too!
Remember, you are really just warming them up so it doesn’t take long whether they have a casing or not. If you cook just 1 package of traditional store bought skinny hot dogs you just cover them with just enough liquid to cover them and 1 minute is sufficient.
- If you are cooking Instant Pot hot dogs in bulk you may increase time to 2 minutes. Use enough water to go about halfway up the pile of hot dogs.
You are really just steaming them so they don’t all need to be submerged. If you’re adding some flavor to the water then add the water, sprinkle in your garlic powder or whatever, stir, and then add your hot dogs.
Instant Pot Hot Dogs
- 8 hot dogs with casings will take a bit longer, can use packaged without casings too
- 3 c water or can use beer, or half and half
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt optional
- 1/4 tsp cayenne optional
- Put hot dogs into Instant Pot or pressure cooker with water (I used enough to cover them barely, if you're cooking multiple packages just cover about half way up, 3 c. is usually sufficient).
- If using hot dogs with casings set to low pressure for 3 minutes, if using packaged hot dogs without casings set for just 1 minute (2 minutes if cooking a bulk of hot dogs at once.
- Quick release and put into buns with all the fixings.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉