How to make Instant Pot brats and sauerkraut that taste amazing! Easy way to steam bratwurst or sausage with some beer in your pressure cooker for dinner.
If you love your pressure cooker and steaming in your Instant Pot, this easy Instant Pot brats recipe is for you! Steamed bratwurst that maintains it’s “snap” while cooking, and absorbs the flavors of the liquid inside the pot are a fantastic dinner idea topped with sauerkraut and mustard!! Whether you’re watching the Super Bowl with friends, having people over to celebrate Oktoberfesst, or just looking for a new meal to try this is a delicious choice. It’s one of my husband’s favorite Instant Pot recipes! (originally published 12/17)
Doesn’t this look so yummy?!!
My husband and I had it for lunch this day and although I am not a big sauerkraut fan it was SO good atop these Instant Pot brats which kept their snap while being steamed!
- We made Instant Pot hot dogs for the kids but we got to enjoy these beauties. 😉
This is how easy these bratwurst are to cook in your pressure cooker…….
It is totally up to you whether you want to make your own sauerkraut or buy it ready made in the store, either way these taste delicious.
I had some ready made small french style rolls just the right size for sausages in my freezer so I used those this time but you could use hot dog buns or hoagie style rolls too….or go bunless!
Perfect for the big game get togethers or just a yummy Instant Pot dinner idea.
You can put the brats directly in the liquid, beer, but I find they keep their snap and don’t get as soft if I use a steamer basket so I usually go that route but totally up to you.
This is what you’ll need to make these Instant Pot brats
- Vegetable steamer
- Beer (or other liquid such as water)
- Spicy mustard
- Hoagie rolls or hot dog buns
When making these Instant Pot bratwurst and other recipes you’d like to steam it is really handy to have a basket like this one that has an extendable handle to lift things out without your fingers getting too hot.
- The Vegetable steamer comes in this variety as well as this two tiered vegetable steamer basket I used here.
How long to cook frozen sausage in the Instant Pot
- If your brats or large sausage similar to these are frozen cook on pressure high for 15 minutes
- You can put them under your broiler for 3-4 minutes until the outsides crisp up too if you wish
If you love this you should try our pressure cooker jambalaya made with sausage links too.
Instant Pot Brats
- 6 brats or sausage links of your choosing
- 6 rolls or buns
- 1 c sauerkraut
- 1/4 c spicy mustard or regular mustard
- 1 pint beer left out overnight so it is flat
- Open your beer bottle or can and leave out overnight so it looses it's bubbles and becomes flat.
- Pour it into your Instant Pot and open your Kitchen Deluxe vegetable steamer basket, lower inside your pot.
- Put brats on steamer rack and close lid. Close steam valve and set to manual, pressure, high for 8 minutes. (mine were on the larger side so if yours are smaller then you might want closer to 6 min.)
- Do a slow release (move valve just to the side slightly so steam comes out slowly) and carefully lift lid. Since this is pork always make sure to check that they are cooked completely (can cut one in half to ensure or use thermometer)
- Put in a bun and add sauerkraut and mustard on top...and other favorite toppings.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉