This Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni recipe will take you back to your childhood! Just 10 minutes in your pressure cooker makes this cheesy goulash hamburger helper style pasta dinner. Your whole family will love it!
We are huge cheese lovers and love our Instant Pot now too. Adding lots of shredded cheese along with some hamburger was what I was thinking when about when I created this Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni recipe. I looked at a few of my other great recipes to figure out how to make a creamy sauce and bring this childhood favorite back into our house. One of our favorite comfort food Instant Pot recipes yet. (originally published 4/17, affiliate links present)
- We made a crockpot hamburger helper recipe before and that was good. But it took quite a while to finish so we could eat. This Instant Pot hamburger helper version has a VERY short cooking time and my kids’ favorite quick and easy meal.
You don’t even have to pre cook the pasta! Just throw it all in with your onion and garlic powder and set to high pressure with a quick release at the end. BAM!
It’s one of our favorite Instant Pot ground beef recipes.
This is what you will need to make Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni (or pressure cooker goulash of sorts):
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker – this is the one I have
- Elbow macaroni – this is what I use (if you use organic or gluten free it will take longer and you will need to add a few more minutes.
- Cheddar cheese soup – Campbell’s has this one in the soup aisle
- Hamburger meat – do not use more than 1 lb. or it won’t turn out properly
- Onion – optional
- Sour cream
- Cheese – we like sharp cheese
- Water – or better yet substitute for chicken or beef broth
This is what it looks like when it is just done.
The longer you let it sit the thicker it gets and tastes amazing.
If you love traditional hamburger helper but with added cheese this pressure cooker pasta dish is for you.
- As with all of my other Instant Pot recipes it is very easy and you only need a few ingredients.
You could also use another style of noodle other than elbow macaroni but I had that in the house so that is what I used. I like to use what I already have on hand if possible.
If you like a thicker consistency let it sit in the pot for about 5 minutes after you have turned it off. Like I said, t will thicken quite a bit as it sits!
If you like it a bit soupier like you see here above then serve and eat immediately.
Either way this easy Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni is creamy and delicious.
- If you want something quick here’s how to make boxed Kraft mac and cheese in a pressure cooker too
Looking for more Instant Pot pasta recipes your family will love?
- Instant Pot spaghetti
- Spaghetti squash pasta is a healthier version of “noodles” but was a hit in our house and takes no time at all in your IP
- Our Instant Pot potato corn chowder is wildly popular too so keep that in mind for another dinner this week!
- Cheesy Instant Pot goulash
Here’s a video showing you how we made this Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni
You can pressure cook this cheeseburger helper in your Ninja Foodi as well.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni
- 1 c elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1 c water or can use chicken or beef broth for more flavor
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 onion diced (optional)
- 1 tsp salt optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 - 1 c sour cream (depending on your liking & how thick you want it)
- 1 c cheddar cheese shredded
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and add your olive oil and ground beef.
- Start to brown your beef, then add your diced onions and cook together until ground beef is no longer pink. Turn instant pot off by pushing the cancel button (important step). Drain grease and return pot.
- In a separate bowl whisk together your water, salt, garlic powder, & cheddar cheese soup. Pour on top of your ground beef.
- Pour your uncooked noodles in and do not stir, just push noodles down gently so they are submerged in the liquid. Close your IP lid and set to manual, pressure, high for 3 minutes.
- When done do a slow release meaning barely move your steam valve so the steam comes out slowly, and carefully lift your lid.
- Set IP to saute. Add your sour cream and shredded cheese.
- Stir slowly and allow it to come to a boil and bubble.
- It will thicken a bit after a minute or two. Turn IP off. The longer it sits the thicker it will become too. Serve! (top with more cheese if you're a real cheese lover.