Cheesy Instant Pot goulash turned out amazing in my pressure cooker! Creamy goulash with the same flavors you love with two different cheeses within it too. Total comfort food in your pressure cooker that will be your kid’s new favorite dinner for sure.
Who doesn’t love goulash??!! I’m sure it was something you had as a child but maybe forgot about. But maybe this cheesy Instant Pot goulash is just the twist you need to try it again. It is definitely a dinner your kids will love and seriously it tastes even more amazing the next day for leftovers (if there are any). If you’re like me and enjoy easy Instant Pot recipes that take less than 20 minutes to prepare and cook from start to finish, you will love this pressure cooker casserole of sorts that is packed with flavor and drowned in cheesy sauce. (originally published 3/18)
Look at this!!
- Maybe it’s just me but I love casseroles. An easy dump meal that has it all and really needs no side items to prepare is just my style. DONE!
I started my pressure cooker casserole journey with this Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole and it was so popular in my house (and others) that I went from there and knew this called for endless possibilities of comfort food done really quick (and without the need to heat up my kitchen in the morning…..oven doesn’t go on in those months, forget about it).
I work from home so I like making meals that every one of us enjoys, but there is a bit left over so I have lunch for myself the next day, this was a great one (I would dare say even better the next day!).
I have a 6 qt. Instant Pot and this recipe fit just fine. It made enough to feed I would say 6 people easily, 8 if you have kids.
It is filling with sausage (you could use ground beef), pasta, spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes and cheese so you don’t need a heaping bowl to feel full and get that “oh my goodness is this good” feeling.
This is what you’ll need to make our easy cheesy Instant Pot goulash recipe
- Medium / Spicy sausage – I used Jimmy Dean in the sausage roll but you could use ground beef though the sausage brings a tremendous amount of flavor and you need no other spices if you use that
- this is how to defrost Instant Pot frozen ground beef in case you forgot to thaw it out the night before. 😉
- Pasta – We used this style but if you want a traditional looking goulash then elbow macaroni noodles could be used too, your choice
- Spaghetti sauce – I buy whatever is on sale, let’s be honest here
- Diced tomatoes – I like the petite style
- Cheddar and Parmesan cheese – you could use either or but I like a combo of both
- Heavy cream
- Onion & bell pepper – optional but brings a lot of natural flavor to the dish and a bit of texture
It is cheesy in the cheesy sauce kind of way, rather than the stringy you’re going to have a hard time eating it and the cheese is going to get all stuck in your hair when you try to eat it kinda’ cheesy. LOL.
I like it thick so I added just a cup of heavy cream but if you wanted it saucier you could add 1.5 cups of that to thin it out.
- Once you are done cooking it, open the lid and stir in the heavy cream and cheeses, stir so they melt, then it is ready to eat…..BUT if you want it thick like you see here let it sit in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker for 5-10 minutes (allows it to cool down just a tad so it’s easier to eat anyway this way) and it thickens up a lot!
I am sure this will become one of our favorite meals and a family favorite for sure. If you need it to be dairy free (like my husband does), just ladle out your goulash when the cooking is done for that person and then add the cream and cheese for everyone else who wants it cheesy…easy fix for that. 😉
Here’s a video showing you how I make Instant Pot goulash and this cheesy version too:
Looking for other comfort food recipes?
- Here’s a great traditional goulash recipe if you don’t have a pressure cooker
- Pressure cooker lasagna casserole is similar to this goodie but tastes like lasagna
- Pressure cooker Dorito casserole is a family fave
- Here are a bunch of other Instant Pot sausage recipes to enjoy
Here’s the printable recipe for cheesy Instant Pot goulash.
Cheesy Instant Pot Goulash
- 1 lb spicy sausage or ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced, optional
- 2.5 c beef broth
- 4 c uncooked pasta 4 measuring cups full of uncooked pasta, we used rotini
- 24 oz spaghetti sauce
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 1 c heavy cream
- 3/4 c parmesan cheese grated
- 3/4 c cheddar cheese grated
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil, sausage or ground beef, onions and diced bell peppers.
- Cook until meat is no longer pink, turn Instant Pot off/cancel button.
- Pour in your beef broth, then spaghetti sauce, then diced tomatoes, then your uncooked noodles and DO NOT stir.
- Push noodles down so they are submerged in liquid and close lid and steam valve. (if cooking on the stovetop do stir this and boil on low until noodles are soft enough for you and serve)
- Set Instant Pot or pressure cooker to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Stir in heavy cream and cheese, stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately or wait 5 minutes or so and allow goulash to thicken as it sits and then serve!
Do you have a favorite Instant Pot recipe you’ve tried? I’d love to hear about it, or maybe you created something on your own that your family loves….we’d love to try that too!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉