Here is a really easy homemade Instant Pot spaghetti sauce recipe! All you need are a few cans of this and a roll of that to make the most flavorful pressure cooker sauce ever. I literally threw this together in 10 minutes and 20 minutes later it was done. Way better than any jarred sauce.
Ok so if you follow The Typical Mom at all you know I am all about easy. Well this homemade Instant Pot spaghetti sauce is probably the easiest thing I’ve made and it happened kind of by accident. Of course I planned to make this in my pressure cooker so I could add it to my collection of Instant Pot recipes, and it went from there. (originally published 3/18)
Here’s the story. I was at the grocery store when I noticed the rolls of spicy sausage in the meat department were just $.99. It’s seriously the best, and use it a multitude of recipes so I took one and thought “I’m going to figure out something to make with this today.”
One I got home I found a can of peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce in the cupboard. I figured that would be a good base for homemade Instant Pot spaghetti sauce!
Of course one of the many reasons I love this fancy pressure cooker is you only dirty one pot to make the whole thing. Browning the sausage and onions together on saute, and then adding all the other ingredients make it super simple.
It literally is a dump and go, ready in 30 minutes from prep to finish kind of homemade Instant Pot spaghetti sauce.
For years my husband simmered and babied his sauce in a huge pot on the stove top, and he even had to admit this one was so good there wasn’t much difference. HAH…..I win. 😉
I simmered it on the soup setting for 20 minutes. If you were in a hurry you could set it for 10 minutes and I think it would still be great too. You are just warming everything together at that point because the meat is already cooked.
One of my earliest Instant Pot recipes was this Instant Pot spaghetti. It’s one of my most popular pressure cooker recipes on my site. For that one I used jarred sauce and it’s a great no fail dinner to try for sure.
If you prefer homemade sauce though, you can start with this recipe. Then follow the pressure cooker spaghetti recipe above where you submerge the noodles into the sauce.
Then follow timing to cook for a bit longer in order to cook your noodles and homemade sauce all together.
Some people prefer to boil the noodles separately so it’s totally your choice. Either way making homemade spaghetti sauce is now so easy!
Here’s what you need to make this easy homemade Instant Pot spaghetti sauce
- Whole peeled tomatoes
- Spicy sausage – seriously way better than using ground beef, I like this one
- Tomato sauce
- Can of tomato paste
- Diced tomatoes
Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes 28 oz
- 1 roll spicy sausage 12 oz
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 6 oz water
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 onion diced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt to taste
- Put Instant Pot on saute, medium. Spray inside of pot with non stick spray. Add onions and sausage.
- Cook until sausage is completely cooked.
- Turn Instant Pot off by pushing cancel.
- Add all other ingredients into your pot and stir. (I cut up the whole peeled tomatoes into smaller chunks).
- Close lid and steam valve and set to soup function, medium setting, for 20 minutes.
- Quick release, stir and put on top of noodles....or add about 8 oz of spaghetti noodles broken in half, submerge in liquid and set to manual, high, for 8 minutes to cook everything together.