Easy Instant Pot hamburger soup recipe with vegetables, potatoes and more! A healthy protein packed pressure cooker soup with ground beef we love is here! Want to make it a spicy version use sausage in this for a simple one pot meal.
If you have a block of ground beef at home you should try our Instant Pot hamburger soup with potatoes tonight! Packed with tomatoes, peas and carrots too it’s become a new favorite easy InstaPot recipe at our house. (affiliate links present, originally published 4/20)
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup with Potatoes
Ok so of course there are many tweaks you can make to this one which I love. Jimmy Dean spicy ground sausage is a great option we love if we are in the mood for some heat! As far as vegetables go we love carrots, peas and diced tomatoes but you could go well beyond that. Use fresh, canned or frozen is best.
You don’t have to include Instant Pot potatoes if for some reason you don’t want the extra starch but they do make it a heartier dish. The brand on the machine doesn’t matter either. Our Crockpot Express and Ninja Foodi both do the same job just the same.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
You really could make this in a slow cooker cooked all day long for a good 6 hours until veggies are tender. Only have a stove, use a pot! Simmer everything on low heat covered for a few hours until softened and you’ll be set that way too. Super versatile friends.
Add potatoes, broth, tomatoes, and vegetables if you want like you see here. If on the stovetop you’d have to simmer 15-20 minutes BUT this way only takes 6 minutes! It is one of my kids’ favorite Instant Pot soup recipes for sure. I mean anything with ground beef is usually a winner for them.
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup with Barley
If you wanted to use this grain instead or in addition to the others you totally can. I would use the timing from our barley soup recipe for that. I have used that many times with different meats, leftover ham works well for that one too.
How do you make hamburger stew from scratch?
We will show you how in a quicker manner. You are still going to brown onions, ground beef, and garlic until no pink remains but on the saute function.
Can you put raw ground beef in soup?
No, you’re going to need to precook it beforehand. That is what’s great about Ninja Foodi and pressure cooker recipes in general. Use one pot to brown, pressure cook, and you can even air fry with a CrispLid. We are only going to use the first two functions to make this potato soup version though.
What is the healthiest ground beef?
- Ground round and ground sirloin have the lowest fat content so they’re said to be the two lightest and/or healthiest options. They are also more expensive though so there is a trade off.
Choose whatever type you like best, spicy ground sausage is really tasty to use too! We used this in our Instant Pot sausage soup and was amazing.
Easy Ground Beef Soup
I like to use a wooden spoon or spatula to prep the meat at the beginning. That way you won’t cause scratching and all. A ladle is needed at the end for serving.
- Pressure cooker
- I highly suggest you get a non stick pot, linked at the top of this post
- Lean ground beef
- or ground turkey
- ground sausage could be used too
- Beef broth
- Frozen veggies
- it’s best to use frozen vegetables so they don’t fall apart as easily when cooked
- Onion and celery could be added too if you wanted
- Rotel is what was used here
- you could opt to use diced tomatoes instead to omit all the heat
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder and/or Italian seasoning
- If you wanted to add a bay leaf you could
Cook time is only about 15 minutes total so it’s a great recipe if you’re pinched for time. Comfort food at it’s best I tell you!!
Hamburger soup Instant Pot
You really can tweak it to your liking. Want a thicker base? Decrease the amount of broth or stock and instead use some tomato sauce. I have even used spaghetti sauce at times to really amp up the flavor, and that is what I had on hand.
- For more bold flavors, throw in a tablespoon or two of Worcestershire sauce too!
- I always say you should cook to your liking AND use what you have on hand.
- If you have red potatoes that need to be cooked, then use those instead of russets.
This easy hamburger soup recipe is very forgiving, and one of our favorite cheap Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog.
Other varieties of this popular healthy soup are:
- Hamburger soup with pasta is good
- Good old meatball soup is a tweak on this one
- A hamburger soup with cabbage
- We made a sort of hamburger soup with rice before but it came out more like a casserole.
We’ve made another cheesy Instant Pot hamburger casserole as well.
Instant Pot hamburger vegetable soup
First you’ll want to have your onion diced up and turn your pressure cooker to the saute function. You can use your Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi to make this as well.
- Add the onion, some olive oil and your hamburger meat to the pot. Break up and start to cook that down.
- Brown the meat, once that is done turn your pot off.
- If you don’t have a non stick pot you’ll need to deglaze your pot.
- Add all other ingredients now and stir together.
- Close lid and steam valve and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Serve with some parmesan cheese on top for best results!
Ground beef is always easy to find at your local grocery store, or if you’re like us and buy half a cow each year you already have lots in your freezer. 😉
What is regular ground beef?
When people say this they are generally referring to the type that is 70 to 85 percent lean. For every 3 ounces there are approximately 230 calories and 13 grams of fat in 70 percent lean ground beef. Very lean ground beef is 90 to 95 percent lean with 196 calories and 10 grams of fat in the same amount. Either one is fine for this recipe.
If you need instructions on how to cook Instant Pot frozen ground beef to begin with we have that too!
It actually works quite well if your meat is frozen solid to begin with. You can easily defrost it in about 15 minutes and then proceed as usual with step 1 below.
- I have made this with a roll of Jimmy Dean spicy sausage and it is incredible!!
- Take note that I do not like insanely spicy things but when you use it in this soup the other ingredients tone down the heat so all you get are the seasonings.
- I’d highly suggest trying that as well, if not the first time but in your next go around maybe.
What to serve with your dinner recipe
Our air fryer garlic bread or easy roll recipe are always winners.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Set pot to saute with a tbsp of olive oil, ground beef and diced onions. Cook until meat is no longer pink, then turn pot off.
- Deglaze pot with bit of broth to get stuck on meat off the bottom. Add in remaining ingredients and stir.
- Close lid and steam valve and set on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Do a quick release, lift lid, stir, and serve with parmesan cheese on top.