Instant Pot hamburger casserole is a cheesy ground beef and rice dish our family loves for a quick and easy dinner! Get our your pressure cooker and try this tonight.
Looking for new Instant Pot recipes? This Instant Pot hamburger casserole is a bit of cheesy goodness! Use spicy ground sausage instead if you want to add a bit of heat to this one pot meal, and load up the cheddar cheese for out of this world flavor.
- My girls agree this is on the top of their list for Instant Pot kids recipes for sure. We pack it with a blend of Mexican cheeses so it’s extra ooey gooey. But that’s not all. Top it with some grated cheddar cheese and chives to take this ground beef and rice casserole over the top!
Like I said, a pound of spicy ground sausage is a great twist, or us half and half. If you make a lot of pressure cooker ground beef recipes add this to your rotation. If you love any variation of Instant Pot white rice you can find you’ll love this Instant Pot ground beef and rice casserole.
Here’s where you start……
- The only difference if you’re making Ninja Foodi hamburger casserole would be that you could melt an additional layer of cheese on top. Just sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese after stirring the rest in and set your air crisp lid to 400 degrees for about 6 minutes.
No matter what machine you use, you’ll start with the saute setting.
Ingredients you’ll need to make Instant Pot hamburger casserole:
- or spicy ground sausage / ground turkey
- White rice
- uncooked, not Minute rice
- Cream of chicken soup
- or cream of mushroom soup if you’d prefer
- Chicken broth
- or beef broth if you’re using mushroom soup
- Olive oil
- Can of kernel corn
- Mexican blend is great
- or mix of sharp cheddar and jack works well
- Can of diced chiles
You could omit the cheese entirely if you’d like. HOWEVER cheese is a must for us.
Steps for making this ground beef and rice casserole
- Saute olive oil, meat, and diced onion until hamburger is no longer pink.
- Turn off and whisk together in a separate bowl your condensed soup, broth, milk and spices.
- Pour that into your pot and stir.
- Drain your can of corn and add that in, do NOT stir.
- Pour in uncooked white rice evenly on the top, don’t stir!
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure cook for 8 minutes, followed by a quick release.
- Stir in cheese and serve!
Do you cook rice before adding to the casserole?
- All of my Instant Pot casserole recipes require uncooked white rice. This is a real winner because it means everything can be thrown in together at one time. No prep work needed when making things like our stuffed pepper casserole either.
I will say this is a bit like our pressure cooker Mexican casserole, but with fewer ingredients. I suggest you try that one next.
If you’re ready for a super easy recipe with a super quick cook time.
- Want to make this with noodles instead of white rice? Follow our Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni recipe.
Looking for more sausage recipes??
- Slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup is a fave.
- Enchilada lasagna you can make in your oven.
- Sausage pasta is made on your stovetop.
What if you forgot to defrost your hamburger?
NO problem. Just follow our instructions on how to cook frozen ground beef in an Instant Pot. Then continue with the printable Instant Pot ground beef and rice recipe below.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Instant Pot Hamburger Casserole
- 1 lb hamburger or ground sausage, spicy is great
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 c milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup could use cream of mushroom
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 c chicken broth or beef broth if using cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can corn kernel, 14 oz., drained
- 2 c rice white, uncooked, NOT minute rice
- 2 c cheese Mexican blend is great
- 4 oz green chiles optional, 1 small can
- Set pressure cooker to saute and add olive oil, ground beef and diced onions. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Then turn off pot.
- In a bowl whisk together cream of chicken soup, broth, garlic salt, pepper and milk so it is smooth. Pour this into your pot and stir.
- Drain your can of kernel corn and add into the pot, add can of chiles if you'd like to add them, then pour in your uncooked white rice and just gently press down so rice is submerged but do NOT stir!
- Close your pressure cooker lid and close steam valve. Set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick release and remove lid. If you are adding cheese stir contents, then add shredded cheese and stir so it melts. Then serve with a bit more cheese on top!