Instant Pot hamburger casserole is a cheesy ground beef and rice dish our family loves for a quick and easy dinner! Get our your pressure cooker and try this tonight.
This Instant Pot hamburger casserole is a bit of cheesy goodness! Use spicy ground sausage instead if you want to add a bit of heat to our ground beef and rice meal. Load up the cheddar cheese for out of this world Instant Pot recipes flavor. (originally published 6/19, affiliate links present)
My girls agree this is on the top of their list for Instant Pot kids recipes for sure.
We pack it with a blend of Mexican cheeses so it’s extra ooey gooey.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- But that’s not all. Top it with some grated cheddar cheese and chives to take this Instant Pot ground beef and rice casserole over the top!
Like I said, a pound of spicy ground sausage is a great twist, or us half and half. If you make a lot of pressure cooker ground beef recipes add this to your rotation.
- If you love any variation of Instant Pot white rice you can find you’ll love this Instant Pot ground beef and rice casserole.
Here’s where you start……
Ninja Foodi hamburger casserole
- The only difference with this would be that you could melt an additional layer of cheese on top.
- Just sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese after stirring the rest in and set your air crisp lid to 400 degrees for about 6 minutes.
No matter what machine you use, you’ll start with the saute setting adding your olive oil, onion and ground beef.
What are the different types of hamburger meat?
There are many out there, and it is really your preference. We buy half a cow at the beginning of each year and use that. It is as organic and low fat as you can get but I have used 80/20 in the past.
- The four main types of ground beef are; ground chuck, ground round, and ground sirloin.
- These will all look quite similar in a grocery store or butcher’s shop. They may be labeled under a variety of names and may be a major difference in the price you pay.
Generally the leaner you buy the more expensive it is, and organic is always more money as well (but we think it is worth it).
Another way we have made it (which I like more than any other) is to mix ground sausage and ground beef together. Use 1/2 pound of a spicy roll of breakfast sausage + hamburger of your choice. This will create a WHOP of flavor and a bit of heat we all love.
Instant Pot hamburger casserole
- Pressure cooker
- I HIGHLY recommend that everyone get this non stick pot if you don’t already have one.
- or spicy ground sausage / ground turkey
Can of diced chiles is a great add in and not spicy if you choose the mild variety. You could add medium or spicy for heat if you wanted to.
- White rice
- uncooked, not Minute rice
- Cream of chicken soup or mushroom variety
- or make 10 oz. homemade cream of mushroom soup if you’d prefer
- Chicken broth
- store bought or make our homemade chicken broth Instant Pot recipe
- or beef broth if you’re using mushroom soup
- Olive oil
- Can of kernel corn
Cheese is needed too, shredded. Mexican blend is our favorite, or use a mix of sharp cheddar and Jack.
You could omit the cheese entirely if you’d like. HOWEVER cheese is a must for us. The more the better really but that is personal preference.
- A casserole isn’t a casserole without cheesiness y’all!
- I like sharp cheddar but that is up to you too. I’ve used a Mexican blend that was already shredded before because that is what I had on hand and it was fabulous.
- If you have a dairy free household member you can serve them, then add it later too.
Ground beef and rice casserole
- Saute olive oil, meat, and diced onion until hamburger is no longer pink.
- Turn off and whisk together in a separate bowl your condensed soup, broth, milk and spices.
- Pour that into your pot and stir.
- Drain your can of corn and add that in, do NOT stir.
- Pour in uncooked white rice evenly on the top, don’t stir!
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure cook for 8 minutes, followed by a quick release.
Stir in cheese and serve!
Do you cook rice before adding to the casserole?
NO! All of my Instant Pot casserole recipes require uncooked white rice.
- This is a real winner because it means everything can be thrown in together at one time. No prep work needed when making things like our stuffed pepper casserole either.
- We do cook white rice all of the time when serving chicken or a roast but the true definition of a casserole is that everything is cooked as a one pot meal.
I will say this is a bit like our pressure cooker Mexican casserole, but with fewer ingredients. I suggest you try that one next.
If you’re ready for a super easy recipe with a super quick cook time.
- Want to make this with noodles instead of white rice? Follow our Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni recipe.
What if you forgot to defrost your hamburger? Ok I will admit I have done this from time to time. It will be MUCH better if you thaw it out beforehand but I have a tip below if it’s a disaster of a day.
Just follow our instructions on how to cook frozen ground beef in an Instant Pot.
Instant Pot ground beef and rice
- It is just as easy but of course will take all day to become perfectly tender.
- You also have to precook the meat for this one, just keep that in mind as you shouldn’t add raw hamburger to a Crockpot.
Want to make this in a slow cooker? Follow our crockpot hamburger casserole instructions.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Looking for more sausage recipes??
- Slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup is a fave.
- Enchilada lasagna you can make in your oven.
- Sausage pasta is made on your stovetop.
- Our Instant Pot taco casserole and Instant Pot ground beef and rice rocks
Instant Pot Hamburger Casserole
- 1 lb hamburger or ground sausage, spicy is great
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 c milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup could use cream of mushroom
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 c chicken broth or beef broth if using cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can corn kernel, 14 oz., drained
- 2 c rice white, uncooked, NOT minute rice
- 2 c cheese Mexican blend is great
- 4 oz green chiles optional, 1 small can
- Set pressure cooker to saute and add olive oil, ground beef and diced onions. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Then turn off pot.
- In a bowl whisk together cream of chicken soup, broth, garlic salt, pepper and milk so it is smooth. Pour this into your pot and stir.
- Drain your can of kernel corn and add into the pot, add can of chiles if you'd like to add them, then pour in your uncooked white rice and just gently press down so rice is submerged but do NOT stir!
- Close your pressure cooker lid and close steam valve. Set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick release and remove lid. If you are adding cheese stir contents, then add shredded cheese and stir so it melts. Then serve with a bit more cheese on top!