This is the best enchilada lasagna casserole we have for dinner often that my kids absolutely love! If you’re looking for a baked cheesy casserole packed with lots of flavor and ground beef that is easy to throw together, this is it. Layered with Mexican flavors and corn tortillas it’s like an enchilada met a lasagna!
I wasn’t quite sure what to even call this when I made it the first time. We thought the name enchilada lasagna just made sense! Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Manwich. It’s a favorite quick and easy casserole. (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
As with any casserole it’s a combination of our favorite foods put together to make a warm comfort food full of yumminess and of course lots of cheese! Similar to a sort of enchilada casserole, though layered like lasagna.
You don’t just have to use beef but typically that’s what we use. If you have leftover chicken breasts you could use that too for sure! Even shredded pork would work, you’d just skip the browning part for precooked meat.
The prep work is under 30 minutes which is great and if you have any left over it’s great warmed for lunch the next day too.
- Layered with black beans, cheese, corn, mild chiles and a Manwich that gives it a kick of added flavor. This enchilada lasagna casserole is just the best. 😉
It is easier than traditional lasagna since there is NO boiling required and the only thing you need to precook is the ground beef. If you’d rather make it vegetarian you can leave this step out and quite frankly it would still taste amazing.
- Mix all the Texas beef and other ingredients together.
You can use as little or as much cheese as you’d like too, but we are all about cheesy goodness so we use it in between and on top of this dish. Here’s the entire recipe for you to follow, let us know what you think!
- Manwich – 15 oz. can
- could alternatively use enchilada sauce
- Corn tortillas
- Corn – canned is what I use
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes – I like petite
- Diced chiles – canned
- Cheese – Cheddar and Jack
- Ground beef
- Drained can of 4 oz. diced green chiles would be good too
- A dash of chili powder would add a bit of heat
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving
Looking for more easy casserole recipes?
- Lasagna casserole recipe is a delicious one with all the flavors you love but a lot less work for you.
- No noodle lasagna is wonderful if you have a bunch of zucchini and want a lower carb version of this favorite meal
- Easy chicken pot pie casserole is a fun one where you can use shredded rotisserie or even canned chicken
- Pressure cooker sausage rice casserole is a great hatch chile recipe we make during the July/August months when they’re in season.
- Crockpot lasagna casserole is great for a throw it all in and leave for the day one pot meal
Layering is the trick, and lots of cheese is the way to go for us. When it’s cooking all the flavors meld together, soften the tortillas, and creates a warm dinner that is perfect as is or topped with a bit of sour cream and chives!
If you’ve never thought of using Manwich outside of sloppy joes this is a great new recipe to try.
Time needed: 40 minutes.
- Brown meat
In a large skillet brown your meat on the stovetop over medium heat with a bit of olive oil and diced onions. Add meat and all of the other ingredients (excluding tortillas and cheese) into a bowl and mix well.
Spray a 9×12″ dish with non stick spray and add a small layer of your meat mixture. Add layers of tortillas, about 6 overlapping a bit so it covers your meat layer. Sprinkle 1 c. of cheese on top of tortilla layer.
Repeat layers of meat mixture, then another tortilla layer, cheese on top of that. The last top layer is the remainder (1/3 on each layer) of your meat mixture.
Cover with tinfoil and bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Take foil off and sprinkle last 3/4-1 c. of cheese and bake for 10 more minutes uncovered.
Could add a dollop of sour cream on top and chives when serving too!
If you want it to stay together like lasagna and come out in a less messy allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes when it comes out.
Try it for dinner tonight!! It’s a great recipe that’s like a casserole form and a feel good meal y’all will love.
- Brown your meat on the stovetop with your diced onions.
- Add meat and all of the other ingredients (excluding tortillas and cheese) into a bowl and mix well.
- Spray a 9×12″ dish with non stick spray and add a small layer of your meat mixture.
- Then add 6 tortillas overlapping a bit so it covers your meat layer. Sprinkle 1 c. of cheese on top of tortilla layer.
- Add another layer of meat mixture, then another tortilla layer, cheese on top of that, and then last top layer is the remainder (1/3 on each layer) of your meat mixture.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Take foil off and sprinkle last 3/4-1 c. of cheese and bake for 10 more minutes uncovered. Serve! Could add a dollop of sour cream on top and chives too!
- If you want it to stay together like lasagna and come out in a less messy way allow it to cool for about 15 minutes when it comes out before cutting…but either way it is delicious.