Have you tried Instant Pot cheeseburger soup yet?? It’s a fun pressure cooker or Ninja Foodi meal that your kids will love and will make you come back for seconds.
We love this easy Instant Pot cheeseburger soup! It’s quick and easy with tons of flavor, you should make it tonight. I’ve been creating easy Instant Pot recipes for over a year now and this is a fave. Sponsoring by Snapfish. (originally published 6/18, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Cheeseburger Soup
This one is really easy. Then again all of my Instant Pot soup recipes are easy to make! We are all about comfort foods like this when it is snowy outside, okay and year round. You can use ground beef or sausage in this. Use half and half spicy to add some heat too which is amazing.
You can use any brand of electric pressure cooker you have at home. I have a Mealthy, Crockpot Express and Ninja Foodi pot and the directions below work the same for all.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
First thing you’ll need is a cutting board to dice up a few things. Isn’t this one cute??!! Made with my name on it and a great gift idea if you ask me (hello Mother’s Day and Christmas). With different designs to choose from and personalized for that special person in your life!
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup no Potatoes
The ingredients can be adjusted a bit, but the base and amount of liquid needs to remain the same. If you wanted to further thicken it at the end you could make a quick roux with cornstarch or gluten free arrowroot flour.
I always add diced onions to just about everything but those could be left out if your kids are a hard no for them. There aren’t any diced potatoes in here but if you wanted to add those it would work well too. Would be a bit like our Instant Pot potato corn chowder in a sense, but with cheese.
Cheeseburger Soup Pressure Cooker
Oh, my apron you ask. Yep that is personalized through Snapfish as well! Super cute right??!! Mine has pictures of all of us cooking something. Silly photos I love of each person.
Now let’s talk about ingredients. I don’t use “weird” stuff you can’t find easily in your local grocery store. I mean, let’s make it easy on ourselves shall we? Now once my husband had to go dairy free I did adjust this so he could enjoy it too. Not as hard as I once thought, and the taste isn’t all that different.
You can always use plain almond milk instead of dairy varieties, there are DF sour creams out there, coconut milk instead of heavy cream and Daiya has a great shredded cheese.
Cheeseburger Soup Instant Pot
Here is a list of what we used here. I have a printable recipe card with all this information listed as well but let’s talk about it beforehand.
- Electric pressure cooker
- I HIGHLY suggest getting a non stick Instant pot liner
- When using your Ninja Foodi or IP it is great that you can saute everything and pressure cook in the same pot = less cleanup!
- Ground beef, spicy ground sausage – or lower in fat ground turkey
Chicken or beef broth – your choice, beef will make it a deeper color, I used chicken broth here
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup with Hashbrowns
If you wanted to add 1 cup of frozen hashbrowns into the mix at the beginning it will thicken the meal up on it’s own. The refrigerated and bagged type works well too. Just know that it will mainly act as a thickener and will break down so it won’t resemble potatoes in the end.
- Heavy cream
- Shredded cheese – I like sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Cornstarch – to thicken the broth
- Spices, salt and pepper to taste
You could add 1/2 cup sour cream at the end to make it creamier if you wanted too. 😉
Let’s start by saying this is not a “healthy” dinner. I mean everything in moderation right? I have nutritional info. listed below for this homemade soup recipe.
Wait until it is room temperature before storing in airtight containers. Then reheat and consume within 4 days.
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Whether you use your stovetop or your Instant Pot, you’ll want to cook your ground beef and diced onions together. I personally leave the little bit of grease that is left over in the pot. It adds flavor, but you can drain it.
Once that is done you’re going to add everything else except for the cheese and cook it for just 3 minutes on high pressure!!
- If you’re using a pot on your stovetop you just want to simmer it on low with a top on until all the flavors are melded together.
Then remove from your heat, or do a quick release and either put a dollop of sour cream on top of each bowlful, or mix some into the whole batch. We loved this soup!!
Quick and Easy Cheeseburger Soup
That’s the beauty of cooking in a pressure cooker. You can throw all your ingredients in at once, close the lid and set to your cook time. Come back when it beeps and you’re ready to enjoy. No more babysitting a pot on the stovetop making sure it doesn’t bubble over the top or burn.
- I used leftover bacon from the day before this time. If you don’t have that you can cook your diced bacon in with your ground beef and onions to really meld those flavors together!
Once it’s done you’re going to add most of your cheese. Stir until it melts which won’t take long. Thicken the soup with a bit of cornstarch and you’re ready to top with a bit more cheese and green onions!
I haven’t made this in my slow cooker yet, but it would be similar to the stovetop method. You’d need to precook the meat first, throw everything else in and cook on low all day. We love this recipe any way it’s cooked really. Want a lower calorie version? Try our Instant Pot hamburger soup too.
You can print out our recipe card at the bottom of this post but let’s talk a minute about how we made this shall we. Remember the brand you have doesn’t matter but the most common is the IP for sure. I rarely use the soup button but rather set the minutes myself to ensure it is done perfectly.
Instant Pot Cheese Soup with Ground Beef
Time needed: 7 minutes.
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Set Instant Pot to saute and add butter, ground beef and diced onions. Cook until most of pink in ground beef is cooked (3/4 way or so). If your bacon isn’t already cooked you can dice it and add it in now to cook it all together.
Dice celery and cooked bacon and add into pot, if you haven’t added the bacon already. Turn your Instant Pot off.
- Add ingredients
Sprinkle in seasoned salt and garlic powder, stir together. Pour in chicken or beef broth and stir.
Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 3 minutes. Do a quick release when done.
Turn pressure cooker off and then press saute, normal, again and add heavy cream and 1 1/2 c. of your cheese. Stir allowing cheese to melt.
Add some of this hot liquid soup to a bowl with your cornstarch and whisk together, then add back into the Instant Pot and stir so it thickens.
Turn Instant Pot off, stir in remaining 1/2 c of cheese and serve topped with additional shredded cheese and chives/green onions or a dollop of sour cream.
Cheeseburger Soup no Velveeta
Below is the printable recipe with nutritional information included like protein, saturated fat, etc.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb spicy ground sausage could use ground beef if you prefer
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 8 pcs bacon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp seasoned salt we used Lawry’s
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 c chicken broth could use beef broth
- 2 c cheese
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 3 tbsp cornstarch to thicken if desired
- 1/2 c sour cream optional, for topping at end.
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add butter, ground beef and diced onions. Cook until most of pink in ground beef is cooked (3/4 way or so). (if your bacon isn’t already cooked you can dice it and add it in now to cook it all together.)
- Dice celery and cooked bacon and add into pot, if you haven’t added the bacon already. Turn your Instant Pot off.
- Add seasoned salt and garlic powder, stir together. Pour in chicken or beef broth and stir.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 3 minutes. Do a quick release when done.
- Turn pressure cooker off and then press saute, normal, again and add heavy cream and 1 1/2 c. of your cheese. Stir allowing cheese to melt.
- Add some of this hot liquid soup to a bowl with your cornstarch and whisk together, then add back into the Instant Pot and stir so it thickens.
- Turn Instant Pot off, stir in remaining 1/2 c of cheese and serve topped with additional shredded cheese and chives/green onions or a dollop of sour cream.
Now you’re silly to think this Instant Pot cheeseburger soup recipe is just for the winter time, we eat it year round!
Ladle some in a bowl and enjoy a nice day outside together. I guarantee everyone will love it…even those spending the day in the pool.
Angela S. Nunez
Saturday 2nd of January 2021
I had to do two modifications. No celery and not enough Seasoning Salt in the house but I do have Celery Salt. I just switched the measurement of seasoning salt to the celery salt and I had two russet potatoes that were hanging around. Peeled ‘em and made 1/2 inch cubes. Tossed ‘em all in and continued with the recipe. Got Raving Reviews. I doubt I’ll be making the original recipe based on all the EXTREMES positive comments that were made. Thanx for a yummy addition to my Recipe Box!
Saturday 1st of December 2018
Seriously, best soup!!! Only thing I change.... Double it so I have left overs.
The Typical Mom
Sunday 2nd of December 2018
OH yeah, so glad you loved it.
Sunday 24th of June 2018
Carbs at 54 seems a bit high considering the ingredients. Do you know where thoseare coming from?
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 26th of June 2018
The plugin calculates it, not me, and many times it is off.