This is how to make the perfect Instant Pot white rice in your pressure cooker. How long to cook it, what liquid to use, and tips on serving the best tasting rice are here. Whether you are a beginner or use your Instant Pot daily this basic recipe will become your go to for dinnertime.
Ok so I have been busy creating a ton of easy Instant Pot recipes since I got mine Christmas of 2016 but I neglected to share the most basic recipe, Instant Pot white rice. I guess you just assume it is easy but I remember the first time making it I had to adjust the amount of liquid a bit, and what I used for liquid to achieve what we consider to be the best recipe for rice in the pressure cooker. We eat rice a lot, like probably every other day. I grew up in Hawaii and that was just a staple so I guess I assumed it was for everyone else. For those in the midwest I’ve heard their go to is potatoes with just about everything…ours is white rice. (originally published 1/18)
I’ve had a rice cooker ever since I was a kid and watched my mom cook it that way night after night.
In that it was always a 2:1 ratio of water to rice (it isn’t the same for the IP). She always just used water and I never thought twice about it as a kid.
When I got married the first thing I put on my wedding registry was a rice cooker…a big one, that is how engrained white rice is in my life. lol.
Now I just use my Instant Pot to make white rice….and everything else……
At first it was a learning curve for sure and I made rice several times before I figured out the perfect rice recipe, then I wrote this post on how to use an Instant Pot to help everyone else out too!
Why I love Instant Pot white rice
- It’s inexpensive to make
- Everyone in my family enjoys it
- It’s a healthy side dish (if you aren’t watching your carb intake)
- White rice really goes with every protein
When I had a family and started cooking rice night after night I never thought differently, but once I got my Instant Pot it didn’t turn out quite the same. I made different versions of Instant Pot white rice in order to figure out the exact ratio of liquid to rice I needed.
I found that I preferred chicken broth (or a mix of broth and water) much more than plain water because it gave it so much more flavor, and rinsing the rice before putting it in my pressure cooker made it “whiter” than before so I started doing that as well.
We make 2 cups of uncooked rice for the 5 of us, you could cut this recipe in half if you needed to.
I got tired of swapping liners, or cooking my rice, emptying the pot, and then cooking my main dish in my Instant Pot so last month I broke down and bought this Instant Pot mini 3 qt. and now I can have the entire dinner done and on the table in under 30 minutes flat…I love it….so worth it!
Here are my tips for making the perfect Instant Pot white rice
- Put your uncooked white rice in a strainer and rinse it under some running water
- Pour it into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Use a little more than a 1:1 ratio of liquid to white rice in your pot (we prefer to use a combo of water and this can of chicken broth + uncooked white rice)
- 2 c. uncooked rice + 2 1/2 c. water seems like the perfect ratio for us to make the perfect Instant Pot rice. Not too dry, not mushy.
- Push the rice button (should automatically set the time to 12 minutes) & close steam valve
- Do a quick release
- Enjoy immediately for best results
I have a recipe for how to make the perfect quinoa in your Instant Pot here too!
Like I said I make my rice now in my Instant Pot mini while my main dish is being cooked in my 6 qt. Instant Pot. I use my Instant Pot almost every night and make something new to add to The Typical Mom every single week.
To make this easy Instant Pot white rice recipe you do not need any additional items but I do recommend a few Instant Pot accessories here that have made my pressure cooker journey in the kitchen easier.
If you’re looking to make Instant Pot brown rice, follow these instructions
- Rinse your rice, we still cook 2 cups at a time
- Dump rice into your Instant Pot
- Add 2.5 c. of water with your 2 cups of uncooked brown rice
- Set to high pressure for 20 minutes
- Allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes
- Release rest of pressure
- Fluff and serve
** Note – cook times differ depending on how you like the texture of your rice, this timing works well for our tastes. If you prefer it to be more tender add 2 minutes next time.
If you’re looking for a few easy Instant Pot recipes you can click on the tab at the top of my website where all are listed, or try these below to start that are great recipes paired with white rice!
- Pressure cooker broccoli and beef
- Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken thighs
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken
After you make your perfect Instant Pot rice a few times you might want to try some other side dishes
- Instant Pot cheesy bacon ranch potatoes
- Pressure cooker baked potatoes
- Instant Pot potatoes with Italian seasoning
Instant Pot White Rice
- 2 c white rice not instant rice, we prefer Jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 c liquid you can use water or half chicken/beef broth half water
- Use a strainer and rinse your rice.
- Pour rinsed white rice into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Pour water or broth on top of your rice.
- Close lid and steam valve, push rice button and wait until it beeps when done.
- Do a quick release
- Best when served and eaten immediately.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉