Instant Pot sesame chicken takes less than 15 minutes to make in your pressure cooker now! A sweet and sticky sauce with tender chicken over rice is a fave.
Have you ever gone out to dinner and had that sweet sesame chicken with rice and thought “I wish I could make this at home, it’s so good”?? Well here’s an easy Instant Pot sesame chicken recipe you can enjoy with your family tonight! With a thick sweet sauce and tender chicken pieces, it’s amazing served as is if you’re looking for a low carb protein packed dinner or atop rice. It’s one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes.
Our easy sesame chicken recipe is really a throw it together meal you could make with raw chicken like you see here, or if you have leftover chicken you could use that as well, it’s really all about the sauce after all…..
Of course there is always plenty of ginger and garlic added into Asian inspired recipes so we have just enough of that thrown in there too.
- Likelihood is you have everything you need for this sesame chicken sauce at home except for maybe a bottle of hoisin sauce, which is amazing by the way.
- Don’t worry…the rest won’t go to waste because after you’ve made this pressure cooker sesame chicken you’re going to want to make our Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken thighs that uses this sauce in the mix too.
I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and dice them up so they are bite size pieces.
Why do I dice the chicken up?
- Smaller pieces of chicken makes each piece more tender in the cooking process
- Bite size pieces allows the delicious sauce to soak all the way in so each piece has that delish sesame chicken taste
- It makes it easier for the kids (and me) to eat when the chicken is already cut up
Alternatives to using fresh chicken:
- If using diced up pre-cooked chicken (i.e. rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken) alter the recipe below this way
- Add your pre-cooked chicken at the beginning as it states but skip the initial browning process on saute
- Mix together your diced chicken pieces with the diced onions, garlic and ginger still, then skip to step 4 where you add the sesame chicken sauce
- On step 5 set to pressure high for 2 minutes vs. 3
Once your chicken is no longer pink on the outside you’re going to whisk together the ingredients for your homemade sesame sauce and pour it right in. Make sure you then stir it around so all the chicken is coated and the flavors will really soak in.
- Any good sesame chicken recipe is all about the sauce really!
Now once the 2nd cook time is over it will be done but really it is best if you use a bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce so it’s ooey gooey delicious. I use 4 tbsp of cornstarch whisked together with 4 tbsp of cold water, add that in on saute and allow that to bubble and thicken.
Of course you can use less if you want it thinner than what you see here, but really if you ask me this is just perfection…….
This is what you need to make our easy Instant Pot sesame chicken recipe
- Diced chicken – boneless, skinless
- Green onions
- Minced garlic
- Soy sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Cornstarch – if you want to thicken sauce
After you make this we have some other easy Instant Pot chicken recipes you will love:
- Easy Instant Pot butter chicken
- Instant Pot orange chicken recipe – healthy version
- Instant Pot teriyaki chicken
Here is the printable recipe for you as well.
Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
- 1 onion diced
- 2-3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, diced into bite size pcs.
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp garlic minced
- 5 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 green onion diced, more for topping if desired
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp ginger I use minced, jarred
- 4 tbsp cornstarch + 4 tbsp cold water
- Add your diced onions, olive oil, diced raw chicken breasts, 1.5 tbsp minced garlic and 1.5 tbsp minced ginger into your pot. Set to saute.
- Mix all ingredients together so chicken pcs. are coated, cook until pink on outside of chicken pcs. is gone.
- Turn Instant Pot off.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients except cornstarch, and only use 1 tbsp of your sesame seeds, pour into your pot. Stir so all chicken pieces are nicely coated.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release, lift lid and set to saute again if you want the sauce to be thicker.
- In a small bowl whisk together your cornstarch and cold water well so there are no lumps, add this into your IP once it begins to bubble on the saute setting.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes until sauce begins to thicken, then turn pot off and unplug so it doesn't continue to cook.
- Serve on top of rice sprinkled with your remaining tbsp of sesame seeds and add some diced green onions if desired.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉