Crockpot sesame chicken recipe is here! Sticky honey sweet chicken with a kick served on top of a bed of rice will be your favorite slow cooker meal.
Do you love honey sesame chicken at Panda Express? Well this Crockpot sesame chicken recipe has those same great flavors but without the heavy breading. One of our favorite easy crockpot recipes here on The Typical Mom blog. (originally published 10/19, affiliate links present)
NO breading means it’s healthier, but just as yummy so you can have a few extra bites without the guilt!
Served on top of white or brown rice, it is always a family favorite meal.
If you too love slow cooker recipes of all kinds, you’re going to go crazy over this one. First let’s go over a few resources:
- I make a lot of chicken recipes. It’s kinda’ my thing.
It can get boring though night after night unless you have a few amazing sauces you can throw together to jazz that baby up.
This seriously is the best honey Crockpot sesame chicken recipe you will ever try!
A bit similar to our Instant Pot spicy honey chicken, this sauce mixture is homemade and out of this world!
Since it’s a slow cooker recipe it will take longer than 30 minutes to prep and cook though.
Crockpot sesame chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Soy sauce
- gluten free soy sauce alternative here
- 1/4 cup Rice wine vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Brown sugar
Crushed red pepper flakes and sesame seeds are of course optional add ins.
- Garlic powder
- Corn starch to thicken the sauce when done
- Instant Pot white rice recipe
- brown rice could be served with it too
There really is very little prep that goes into this, which is why I love it.
What is sesame chicken made of?
Traditionally this dish involves chicken, usually thighs, that are de-boned, battered and deep-fried. We are skipping the last part here which makes it more of a healthy sesame chicken recipe.
- It’s dressed with a semi-thick sweet sauce made from cornstarch, vinegar, wine or sake, chicken broth and sugar, the last of which is a major contributor to sesame chicken’s sweetness.
The main ingredients are the same and if you chose to use thighs that wouldn’t be an issue here.
That is preference for sure. I swap out what I use with this as well as our Crockpot cheesy chicken and rice dish depending on what I have on hand really.
Sticky honey chicken in a slow cooker
This is where it’s at when you’re thinking of what to cook this week. I guarantee it will become a new family favorite in your home too.
Here are the basic steps to follow:
- Dice chicken into bite size pieces and put into your slow cooker.
- Whisk together all other ingredients other than your cornstarch and sesame seeds and pour that in too.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours until each piece is fall apart tender and smothered in sweetness.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and set aside. Cover to stay warm.
- Pour liquid from Crock pot into a pan so it begins to boil.
- In a small bowl I added the cornstarch and some water. Whisked them together until it was smooth, then poured it into the pot and stirred.
- this will thicken your sauce
- cooking time for this is just a few minutes, then remove from heat
- Serve chicken over 1/2 cup to 1 cup of rice with steamed broccoli on the side and pour sauce on top.
Sprinkling sesame seeds on top with some chives is a nice added touch.
Is Chinese sesame chicken healthy?
Sesame chicken paired with rice can be a healthy meal. It is a good source of healthy carbohydrates and protein.
Since we eliminated the large amount of oil used to deep-fry the chicken it reduces the fat dramatically, but maintains the same great taste.
What to serve with Crockpot sesame chicken:
- Rice or quinoa
- Won tons
Want to make this even faster?? Try our Instant Pot sesame chicken recipe!
What is the healthiest Chinese food?
Kung Pao chicken – this spicy stir-fried dish of chicken, peanuts, a few vegetables and chili peppers is intense, so you’ll likely eat less
- Beef and Broccoli is always a winner with our family
- Broth based soups like egg drop or miso soup
- Shrimp dinner choices
- Chop suey is something new
- Our Instant Pot cashew chicken is a WIN too if you love Asian inspired meals.
Want something spicy? Try our Crockpot buffalo chicken sliders.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Ok let’s jump to the recipe below and get to cookin’ y’all!!
Crockpot Sesame Chciken
- Place chicken in crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl and pour over chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 2-3 hours or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from pot and set aside in a bowl. Pour liquid from pot into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Whisk together 1/4 c cold water and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved and smooth.
As sauce is boiling, slowly stir in cornstarch mixture until sauce is thick.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped chives.
- Serve over rice.