Air Fryer Sesame Chicken with honey is to die for! With our homemade sauce that is sweet and tangy you can make this healthy Asian meal year round.
If you love Asian recipes but didn’t know you could make it in your hot air machine, you’re wrong! Air fryer sesame chicken is out of this world delicious and a super duper easy air fryer recipe we make often. (affiliate links present, originally published 8/21)
Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken
Many have made our Instant Pot sesame chicken recipe and that is fabulous as well. The biggest and really only difference between the two is that this one has crispy bits on the outside, while the other does not. Take your pick, you can’t go wrong with either one though.
There are a few basic ingredients you always have to have on hand with Asian chicken. Honey and garlic are a must so some call this:
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Air Fryer Honey Sesame Chicken
Yes you could use a bottled sauce and add a bit of thickener at the end if you’d rather but homemade really doesn’t take that long to whisk together. I have made this with the sauce already added, and then cooked inside the air fryer basket. As you can imagine, about half of the sauce will drain to the basket underneath.
It still soaks up a lot of it and we still enjoyed it quite a bit but then we combined it all into this pot with a handle. That way it was all cooked together and soaked up more. It did take a bit longer since there was more contents to heat but it was great.
The third way was probably the best and will be explained below in the printable recipe card. A few ingredients coated the meat and that was cooked first.
Then if you take 5 minutes to heat and whisk the homemade sesame chicken sauce together and then add the cooked poultry in at the end it is perfection. The bit of cornstarch thickens it nicely and it gets sticky and FULL of flavor using this method.
Sesame Chicken in Air Fryer
- You can use bite size boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, either way works great. The latter will be a bit more tender.
- Honey is a must
- We used minced garlic like it is going out of style.
- Soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken broth is used to thin it out a bit.
- Rice vinegar gives it a bang
Diced green onions or chives gives it some color when it is served, and of course sesame seeds as a garnish are a must. Served over some rice and you have the perfect meal. Quinoa is higher in protein if you’d rather.
Air Fryer Honey Chicken
So to start you just coat the meat with the thickener, a bit of soy sauce and your seasonings of choice. Chili pepper flakes could be added at this time if you wanted to really intensify the heat, we didn’t. Only salt and pepper were used but garlic powder would be a good add in too.
- In a bowl mix together bite sized chicken thighs or breasts, cornstarch, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp soy sauce. A bit of sesame oil is great too if you like. Stir together so all meat is nicely coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees for 5 minutes. Spray basket with non stick cooking spray and pour coated chicken inside.
- Cook for approximately 8 minutes flipping after 4 or until largest piece of chicken is cooked and no longer pink inside.
- In a small saucepan combine remaining ingredients listed under sauce above. Cook and whisk over medium heat for a few minutes until bubbling. (You can whisk it together and warm in microwave if you’d rather but sauce won’t be quite as thick).
Then pour cooked chicken inside pot. Stir to coat nicely and allow to thicken and bubble for about 2 minutes. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and/or chives/green onions on top.With prep time this probably takes about 20 minutes start to finish.
If you need a gluten free option you could use aminos instead of soy. Check other ingredients added as some brands may differ from others. Under high heat but then coated with this thick sauce I am telling you that you’re in for a real treat of a dinner.
Ninja Foodi Sesame Chicken
We have several different brands including the Foodi, Cosori and AirWave. They all work basically the same for this one since you don’t need to pressure cook it. If you do have that pot though you can try our spicy teriyaki chicken recipe which is out of this world too. Dual function kitchen appliances are the best I tell you.
Want to make this or our air fryer teriyaki chicken the other way I explained? You can, just follow those instructions. No extra saucepan or anything other than just throwing it right into the basket and this is how good it turns out.
Absolutely. If I have it on hand I will use this type other than olive to keep chicken from sticking because it gives the meat another layer of Asian flavors for sure. Usually you can’t find it in aerosol, but added to a small glass spray bottle it sprays very easily.
Can you reheat sesame chicken in air fryer?
If you have gone out to eat and have leftovers you can surely throw that in and warm it up nicely. 380 degrees F for about 5 – 6 minutes shaking halfway thru usually does the trick. You will once again get that nice crispness on the corners even if it is a day or two old. Remember to let it come to room temp. first for best results.
How do you crisp chicken in an air fryer?
You can air fry everything basically. To reheat chicken in air fryer read this article, nothing is off limits my friend! All cuts are better heated in this baby. Even our air fryer firecracker chicken is as good next day.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Sesame Chicken
- 1-1.5 lb chicken breasts or thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 5 tbsp honey
- 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- sesame seeds for topping, optional
- green onions diced, optional
- In a bowl mix together diced chicken, cornstarch, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp soy sauce. Stir together so all meat is nicely coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Spray basket with non stick spray and pour coated chicken inside. Cook for approximately 8 minutes flipping after 4 or until largest piece is no longer pink inside.
- In a small saucepan combine remaining ingredients listed under sauce above.
- Whisk sauce together and heat until bubbling, then pour cooked chicken inside pot. Stir to coat nicely and allow to thicken and bubble for about 2 minutes. (You can whisk it together and warm in microwave if you'd rather but sauce won't be quite as thick).
- Serve over rice with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and/or chives/green onions on top.