Air fryer teriyaki chicken turns out delicious! With a thick flavorful sauce, you can now make tender marinated chicken in no time at all.
I bet you’ve thought about air fryer teriyaki chicken, but didn’t think it was possible. Well I perfected it the other night so we could enjoy this easy air fryer recipe and share it with y’all! (affiliate links present)
Yes I air fry everything nowadays. No, seriously like I use this one and my Ninja Foodi pot daily.
It just makes everything that much more delicious and with an easier cleanup than keeping an eye on it on the stovetop.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
There are a few choices you can make, and substitutions as well. I add a bit of minced garlic and ginger sometimes. You can leave one or both of these out and it will still be totally delish.
The brand of teriyaki sauce you use is your choice too but thicker is better in this case. Since I cook it directly inside the air fryer basket you want it to really adhere to the meat.
- This one is best. I tried Veri Veri I used in my Instant Pot teriyaki chicken and it wasn’t as thick as I’d like it to be. This one below was perfect.
You can make your own spicy teriyaki sauce too, recipe for that is in this post.
This is really all you need. To enhance the flavors to be stronger and more intense, just marinate chicken longer. I only let it sit coated well for about 15 minutes and it was still great. Depends on how much time you have.
Teriyaki Chicken Air Fryer
- Teriyaki marinade – This one is best
- Chicken thighs – or cubed breasts work too, I feel thighs are more tender
- Onion if you want to add that
- You could add a tbsp of diced fresh or jarred garlic if you love all things garlic
Here are a few questions you might have before getting started making your teriyaki chicken:
Well that depends on the nutritional value of the sauce you’re using and how fatty your meat is. On the whole, air fryer marinated chicken is quite healthy with NO oil required to make it crispy on the outside.
I do. Especially if you cube the meat into bite size pieces like we did here it is best to shake the basket halfway thru. That way each piece rotates and gets a bit of crisp all the way around.
That depends. If it is a larger piece, I find that it’s best to lower the heat to maybe 350 F. In this case they are boneless bite size pieces so 380 F was better and only took a few minutes to cook to perfection.
You could easily coat the meat and refrigerate for a good hour to get bolder flavors. Only have a few minutes, no problem. The thicker the better in that case.
I tested this out a few times. First I used a thin chicken marinade and it was yummy (kids agreed). Then I used this one and it was more “teriyakiy” if you know what I mean. 😉
I thought about using a springform pan but mine was leaking so I opted to not do that but you could so the sauce wouldn’t leak thru the basket at all. It would likely take a bit more time to cook this way though.
How do you make teriyaki chicken from scratch?
This is pretty close to it other than using jarred sauce. I have made homemade teriyaki sauce with brown sugar, rice wine vinegar and a few other ingredients before. You could too. With some hoisin the sauce is thickened nicely and a great consistency for this.
Here are quick step by step directions, there is a printable recipe card at the bottom too.
Time needed: 8 minutes.
Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken
Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes. Trim boneless chicken breasts and cut into equal sized bite size pieces.
Put in a bowl with teriyaki sauce (and onion if you want) and stir so every piece is coated well. Let sit at least 5 minutes to up to an hour if you’d like it to really soak in.
Pour into air fryer basket and shake so they are in one layer overlapping the least amount. Close and cook for a total of 8 minutes cooking time shaking the basket after 4 minutes.
At end check to ensure chicken is cooked thru by taking out largest piece and cutting in half. If it is no longer pink inside you’re good, if not add 1 more minute at a time until all chicken is cooked properly and safe to eat.
Serve over bed of white or brown rice.
Air Fryer Chicken
If you’ve only used a pan or slow cooker to make this, I would suggest you try this version next time. Then decide for yourself which you love best. You’ll be surprised how well this turns out.
We have a bunch of other easy Ninja Foodi chicken recipes you can make too. Any brand works though…
- If you’re forgetful, like me, our frozen chicken wings in air fryer post may save dinnertime for you too.
- Want to make air fryer barbecue chicken breasts or Cornish hen in air fryer, we have done those too.
Try it tonight! When reheating chicken in air fryer there are a few tips you should remember too, we go over them in the above post.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki
Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Trim boneless chicken breasts and cut into equal sized bite size pieces. Put in a bowl with teriyaki sauce (and onion if you want) and stir so every piece is coated well. Let sit at least 5 minutes to up to an hour if you'd like it to really soak in.
- Pour into air fryer basket and shake so they are in one layer overlapping the least amount.
- Close and cook for a total of 8 minutes shaking the basket after 4 minutes.
- At end check to ensure chicken is cooked thru by taking out largest piece and cutting in half. If it is no longer pink inside you're good, if not add 1 more minute at a time until all chicken is cooked properly and safe to eat.
- Serve over bed of white rice.