This easy Instant Pot teriyaki chicken takes just 3 minutes to cook and is so tender when it’s done! It’s a really healthy pressure cooker chicken recipe that’s inexpensive and flavorful too served with rice. Add a bit of pineapple for extra flavor and your kids will love it too.
When I started developing new Instant Pot recipes one of the first things I tried to make was the best Instant Pot teriyaki chicken and it came out great in just 3 minutes! Make some rice and you are set with a great and healthy meal that everyone in my family enjoys. You could add some onion into the pot too if you desire but we stuck with chunk pineapple and sauce to make ours. It’s one of our go to easy Instant Pot recipes we love. This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Soy Vay. All opinions are 100% mine. (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Maybe it is because I was born in Hawaii but I love anything teriyaki! I could put this sauce on just about any piece of meat and it just tastes amazing.
Just like any other recipe you can add or omit what you love or don’t prefer to have added.
I started out simple when making this Instant Pot teriyaki chicken recipe. Adding pineapple chunks, a bit of juice, and the teriyaki was it!
You save yourself a step by cutting my chicken into chunks before adding it to my Instant Pot / pressure cooker too.
We all need a few recipes “in our pocket” that only use a few ingredients and take less than 15 minutes. You know for those evenings when you only have an hour in between soccer practice and homework….we’re there a lot. 😉
What you need to make this quick Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Jar of Teriyaki marinade – this Veri Veri Teriyaki is our favorite, not too thick and great taste
- do not use thick sugary sauces in IP, it will burn
- this is what burn on Instant Pot means and how to prevent it
- do not use thick sugary sauces in IP, it will burn
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – diced into bite size pieces
- Chunk pineapple – we like this one
- Jasmine rice – this is how to make the perfect Instant Pot white rice
- or on top of brown rice
- Cornstarch slurry (optional if you want to thicken sauce at the end)
- Diced green onions are optional
Of course you could make your own teriyaki sauce using brown sugar and a few other ingredients but if you really need a quick throw together Instant Pot chicken recipes this is perfect because it only takes about 3 minutes to cook.
If you do have a bit more time to make homemade teriyaki sauce the cook time will not vary. You will just need the following ingredients.
Homemade teriyaki sauce recipe
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Minced garlic and ginger
- Brown sugar
- Hoisin sauce
- Cornstarch if you want to thicken it
- Sesame seeds for top are optional
Our spicy teriyaki Instant Pot chicken recipe using whole chicken thighs is amazing too.
Here are a few other of the best Instant Pot recipes you will love
- Instant Pot shredded chicken uses pineapple as well
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken is sweet with a bit of heat if you want to add some
- This Instant Pot teriyaki ribs recipe uses this teriyaki sauce too and comes out so tender and juicy you’ll never cook ribs any other way again
Here’s a video showing you how easy pressure cooker teriyaki chicken is to make
You can see just how much teriyaki sauce the chicken soaked up just by the color of it!
The pressure cooker does all the work for you which is great. Your whole meal will be done in about 10 minutes total and can be done in a Ninja Foodi too. Great lunch option for me who works at home. If I need a quick meal I know all 5 of us will enjoy this is my go to recipe
I have 3 pressure cookers so I have one going with my pressure cooker teriyaki chicken, and another with rice. I haven’t tried it together but imagine if you had a trivet on top of the rice with your chicken and sauce in an approved pot it would be fine in 12 minutes on high.
Here are the basic steps to make our pressure cooked chicken with a sweet and savory sauce.
- If making homemade teriyaki whisk ingredients in a bowl.
- Dice and add chicken into your pot.
- Pour in bottled or the sauce you made on top.
- Stir contents.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- if adding more than 3 med. diced chicken breasts you may need to increase time to 4-5 minutes
- Wait a minute once it ends and then do a quick release
- Open the lid and if you’d like sauce a bit thicker whisk 1 tbsp cornstarch with hot liquid and add into pot on saute
Here is a slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe if you’d like to try that too.
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 jar teriyaki sauce Soy Very Very Teriyaki sauce 15 oz.
- 2 -3 chicken breasts boneless skinless, cubed into bite size pcs.
- 1 c pineapple chunk, optional
- 1 tbsp cornstarch optional
- 1 tbsp soy sauce optional
- homemade teriyaki sauce ingredients use above, or these below - one or the other for your sauce
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1/4 c hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- Cube chicken and add into Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Pour teriyaki sauce (3/4 of jar or enough to cover cubed pcs. of chicken), pineapple chunks, and soy sauce. If making homemade teriyaki, whisk all ingredients in a bowl and pour in now.
- Stir so all chicken pieces are mostly covered with liquid.- do not use thick teriyaki sauces as those will burn
- Put lid on, close pressure valve, and set to pressure high for 3 minutes. (if adding 3 large chicken breasts set to 4 minutes, 4 large chicken breasts diced up set to 5 minutes - keep in mind if you add double the chicken, add double the teriyaki sauce so they're mostly covered)
- Chicken will absorb yummy teriyaki sauce in just 3 minutes.
- When it beeps allow it to sit for 1 minute to avoid splatter, then do a quick release on your steam valve and carefully lift the lid and make sure chicken is not pink (if cut into bite size cubes 3 minutes should be perfect).
- If you want the sauce to be a bit thicker remove your chicken, set pot to saute, and put about 3 tbsp. of your hot liquid in a small bowl with about 1 tbsp. cornstarch and whisk together until smooth, then add back into the mix and stir.
- Allow to bubble so the sauce thickens a bit. Add chicken back in. Serve over rice!