This easy Instant Pot teriyaki chicken takes just 3 minutes to cook and is so tender when it’s done! It’s a really healthy pressure cooker chicken recipe that’s inexpensive and flavorful too served with rice. Add a bit of pineapple for extra flavor and your kids will love it too.
When I started developing new Instant Pot recipes one of the first things I tried to make was the best Instant Pot teriyaki chicken. It came out great in just 3 minutes! Now it’s one of our go to easy Instant Pot recipes we love. Sponsored by Soy Vay. (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Teriyaki Chicken InstaPot
Make some rice and you are set with a great and healthy meal that everyone in my family enjoys. You could add some onion into the pot too if you desire but we stuck with chunk pineapple and sauce to make ours. That way you get this sweet and tangy sauce with your meat swimming inside. The fruit gives you a bit of texture to it too.
You can make this in a Crockpot Express or a Ninja Foodi recipe as well. They all have the pressure cook function so it doesn’t matter the brand. Brown is the same as the saute button which you will use to brown your meat at first if you wish, but isn’t necessary. You’ll love this one my friends.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Maybe it is because I was born in Hawaii but I love anything teriyaki! I could put this sauce on just about any piece of meat and it just tastes amazing. Just like any other recipe you can add or omit what you love or don’t prefer to have added.
With this one you could add a bit or a lot of heat into the mix if you so chose to do so. I would suggest using either Sriracha or some red pepper flakes to do this. Be light handed at first so you don’t go to a level you cannot handle.
You save yourself a step by cutting the chicken into chunks before adding it to the Instant Pot / pressure cooker too. This does a few things such as make it easier to serve up later, and get the sauce to soak in better since there is less surface area.
We all need a few recipes “in our pocket” that only use a few ingredients and take less than 15 minutes. You know for those evenings when you only have an hour in between soccer practice and homework….we’re there a lot. 😉 This is one of those! I used to make it on my stovetop but this is better.
Made under high pressure you really lock the flavors into each piece of your meat more than if it were sauteed in it. You just throw it all in, lock the lid, and in a few minutes you’re set to enjoy.
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Jar of Teriyaki marinade – this Veri Veri Teriyaki is our favorite, not too thick and great taste
Boneless skinless chicken breasts – diced into bite size pieces. You really could use thighs if you prefer, I have, it’s totally up to you.
Ninja Foodi Teriyaki Chicken
If you have this pot you have two choices. You can use the pressure cook mode like you need for this one, or air crisp it from the get go. I will show you a picture of that method at the bottom with a link to those instructions too. Biggest difference is the texture. Instead of just tender you get crispy on the outside edges too that way.
- Chunk pineapple – just use the small can for this, or a snack pack works too
- Jasmine rice – this is how to make the perfect Instant Pot white rice
- or on top of brown rice
- if you wanted a lower carb bed you could make cauliflower rice too
- Cornstarch slurry (optional if you want to thicken sauce at the end)
- Diced green onions are optional
Of course you could make your own teriyaki sauce using brown sugar and a few other ingredients but if you really need a quick throw together Instant Pot chicken recipes this is perfect. It only takes about 3 minutes to cook once you throw everything in there.
If you do have a bit more time to make homemade teriyaki sauce the cook time will not vary. You will just need the following ingredients.
Homemade teriyaki sauce recipe
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce, regular or low sodium soy sauce is okay
- Minced garlic and ginger
- Brown sugar
- Hoisin sauce
- Cornstarch if you want to thicken it
- Sesame seeds for top are optional
Just follow the directions in our spicy teriyaki Instant Pot chicken recipe for the amount of each ingredient you’d need. You can skip the spicy and keep it mild too if you prefer.
Here are a few other of the best Instant Pot recipes you will love
- Instant Pot shredded chicken uses pineapple as well
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken is sweet with a bit of heat if you want to add some
- This Instant Pot teriyaki ribs recipe uses this teriyaki sauce too and comes out so tender and juicy you’ll never cook ribs any other way again
Pressure cooker teriyaki chicken
You can see just how much teriyaki sauce the chicken soaked up just by the color of it!
The pressure cooker does all the work for you which is great. Your whole meal will be done in about 10 minutes total and can be done in a Ninja Foodi too.
Great lunch option for me who works at home. If I need a quick meal I know all 5 of us will enjoy this is my go to recipe
InstaPot teriyaki chicken
I haven’t tried it together but imagine if you had a trivet on top of the rice with your chicken and sauce in an approved pot it would be fine in 12 minutes on high. Here are the basic steps to make our pressure cooked chicken with a sweet and savory sauce.
- If making homemade teriyaki whisk ingredients in a bowl.
- Dice and add the chicken pieces into your pot.
- Pour in bottled or the sauce you made on top.
- Stir contents.
If you wanted more of a stir fried dish you could easily slice a bell pepper and add that in too with 1 onion sliced thick. Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 3 minutes. If adding more than 3 med. diced chicken breasts you may need to increase time to 4-5 minutes
- Wait a minute once it ends and then do a quick release
- Open the lid and if you’d like sauce a bit thicker whisk 1 tbsp cornstarch with hot liquid and add into pot on saute
Here is a slow cooker teriyaki chicken recipe if you’d like to try that too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Cube chicken into small bite size pieces. Add into Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Pour jar of teriyaki sauce, pineapple chunks, and soy sauce into pot. If making homemade teriyaki, whisk all ingredients in a bowl and pour in now.
- Stir so all chicken pieces are mostly covered with liquid.- do not use thick teriyaki sauces as those will burn
- Put lid on, close pressure valve, and set to pressure high for 3 minutes.
- When it beeps allow it to sit for 1 minute to avoid splatter, then do a quick release on your steam valve and carefully lift the lid and make sure your largest piece of chicken is not pink.
- If you want the sauce to be a bit thicker remove your chicken, set pot to saute, and put about 3 tbsp. of your hot liquid in a small bowl with about 2 tbsp. cornstarch and whisk together until smooth, then add back into the mix and stir.
- Allow to bubble so the sauce thickens a bit. Add chicken back in. Serve over rice!