This is the easiest and most tender Instant Pot whole chicken recipe ever! If you’re looking to cook an entire chicken in your pressure cooker here are the instructions. Placed on edible trivets the whole thing is cooked and ready to eat in just 25 minutes. You’ll never use your oven again.
Ok I’m beck with another one of my favorite Instant Pot recipes that we made just today! I have made a whole chicken in the crockpot before and I figured I could use the same philosophy. But I knew it would get done much faster in my new favorite appliance! Making this Instant Pot whole chicken took just 25 minutes and came out perfect! Not only did the chicken turn out moist and delicious but the potatoes were amazing. 😉 (originally published 1/17)
OH yes, I know….you want to try cooking an Instant Pot whole chicken tonight!!
- Such a healthy and inexpensive dinner idea, from start to finish it’s done in 30 minutes! When you’re using a pressure cooker you want to elevate your meat so it isn’t sitting in the juices. We used potatoes for this!
They worked great, and are edible at the end! Better yet they soak up the juices and taste so amazing you won’t want to share.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot Whole Chicken recipe
- You’ll need an Instant Pot or pressure cooker .
- Whole chicken – around 4.5 lbs.
- Red potatoes – you can use a trivet but seriously these are better.
- Olive oil
- Spices – use whatever you would normally use to cook a whole chicken
- I use 1 tsp. Lawry’s seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Sprinkle of oregano and maybe some basil
- Then you can follow our pressure cooker gravy recipe when your chicken is done. Using the drippings for a wonderful sauce to pour on top.
Now what if your chicken is frozen?
What if you’re cooking frozen whole chicken in the Instant Pot
- Just follow our pressure cooker frozen whole chicken directions and you’re set!
- How to make your chicken skin nice and crispy. Just throw it under the broiler for 3-4 minutes and it’s done.
If you need a Crock Pot Express whole chicken recipe the steps below will work just the same. 😉
- Both machines have the poultry button so you’re set. 😉
We probably cook a whole chicken every week. It used to take a minimum of an hour and a half and now it’s done in a snap.
Looking for more easy Instant Pot chicken recipes?
- Instant Pot chicken and dumplings
- Easy 3 ingredient Instant Pot teriyaki chicken
- Our most popular Instant Pot chicken and rice
- Pressure cooker beer can chicken is another great way to cook a whole chicken in your Instant Pot.
Here’s a video showing you how easy Instant Pot whole chicken is to make:
Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth can use water but broth is much better
- 3 red potatoes
- 1 3.5-4.5 lb. chicken whole, would keep around 4.5 lbs.
- pinch of spices to go on top chicken like thyme oregano, salt, garlic salt
- Put your Instant Pot on saute low setting.
- Add olive oil and put chicken inside to lightly cook outside skin for about 2 minutes, then flip chicken and cook on other side for 2 minutes. Turn off by pressing cancel.
- Remove chicken from IP and add your chicken broth and potatoes into your IP so they potatoes are close together, so your chicken can sit right on top of them like a trivet (watch video in this post).
- Place chicken on top of the potatoes in your IP (use them like a trivet). Close lid, make sure steam valve is secure, and set to poultry, normal setting, for 25 minutes. (if your chicken is abnormally large it may need longer, always check temp. when done to ensure it is fully cooked before eating, if it needs more time put lid on and cook for additional 5 min. at a time until thoroughly cooked thru and not pink)
- When it beeps do a quick release.
- Serve as is or if you want to brown the skin put it in a pan and on the broiler setting in your oven at 350 for 3-5 minutes or so or until it browns as much as you wish on the top.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉