Air fryer whole chicken is amazing! Super crispy skin outside and tender meat inside makes the best dinner ever. Give this easy air fryer recipe a try.
Did you know you could make an air fryer whole chicken in about an hour right at home??!! Picture a rotisserie style chicken from the store but FRESH and super crispy skin that hasn’t been sitting around all day. That is what we’re talking about. Once you fall in love with this try our other easy air fryer recipes too. (affiliate links present)
- We made a Ninja Foodi roast chicken since that is the machine we have, but you can use any brand of air fryer for this.
In case you aren’t familiar with the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker and air fryer we will tell you why we love it! I have the 6 quart air fryer version, any brand including the xl air fryer works with these instructions.
Now get out your crisper and let’s get going with our easy air fryer whole chicken instructions here. 😉
Air fryer accessories you will need
- I chose to use the air fryer basket that comes with the Ninja Foodi machine. (seen below)
- You can also use an air fryer trivet so the top skin doesn’t get as brown.
- This is because the trivet will be lower and further away from the heating element.
- That is it, you’re ready!
- I also recommend spraying non stick spray on either way before placing chicken on top.
- Beyond this meal there are tons of other easy Ninja Foodi air fryer recipes you’ll love.
How to cook a whole chicken in an air fryer
- Wash your chicken and remove bag from inside cavity.
- Pat dry. Rub with olive oil on both sides.
- Put in air fry basket with breast side facing down.
- Season this side of your chicken.
- Close air crisp lid and set to 360 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Flip chicken, spray with olive oil
- Season this side with same amount as listed in recipe card below.
- Reset to 360 degrees for another 30 minutes
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Put chicken breast side up into your air fryer basket.
- Rub with olive oil. Season.
- Close air fryer lid, set to air crisp, 360 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Remove, allow to sit for 5 min., slice and enjoy!
I mean rotisserie chickens are good but this is great!
This is your air fryer whole chicken once it’s done!
Yes the very top skin does get quite brown but believe it or not it still tastes amazing.
The first time I made this I looked at the air fryer cooking times printable to determine how long it would take. For the size I purchased 75 minutes seemed too long so I set it to 60 instead. I wouldn’t cook it any longer than that. It was absolutely perfect.
If you’re wondering how tender the meat inside this air fryer whole chicken is you can see here.
It’s not overdone at all, tasty and juicy for sure.
If you’re cooking a Ninja Foodi chicken there is a second way to cook a whole chicken.
- You follow the first 3 steps below the same way.
- Then close your pressure cooker lid (one that isn’t attached).
- Follow directions in our pressure cooker whole chicken post.
- Once this is done switch lids and close your air fryer lid.
- Press crisp button 390 degrees for 10 minutes or until the top is as brown as you want it.
- Remove immediately and slice.
We have other great Instant Pot chicken recipes here.
Details about the whole chicken we used:
- It was 4.2 lbs.
- I wouldn’t buy one more than about 4.5 lbs.
- Our whole chicken was organic.
- Personally I feel these are leaner and have a better texture.
- There was no bag inside our cavity to be removed.
- Which means we could use our pressure cooker frozen whole chicken instructions.
Things to serve with your Ninja Foodi chicken
- Brussel Sprouts in the air fryer
- Air fryer pretzels are kinda’ like rolls
- Our air fryer baked potatoes are great.
- Here are other Ninja Foodi recipes if you have that machine.
* Always ensure the internal temperature of your chicken is at least 165 degrees to be safe.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 4 lb whole chicken ours was 4.5 lbs.
- 2 tbsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Wash your chicken and remove bag from cavity if there is one.
- Pat dry, rub olive oil on skin. Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick spray and put into basket with the breast side facing down.
- Season with half the amount of spices listed above on the side facing up. Close air fryer lid, press air crisp at 360 degrees for 30 min.
- Then flip to breast side up and spray with olive oil. Add other half of listed seasonings listed on to the breast side. Then cook remaining 30 minutes at 360 degrees.
- Remove when done, or leave in the machine when done for at least 5 minutes to retain juices, cut into pieces and enjoy!
- Alternatively if you cannot tend to the chicken you can put chicken into basket with breast side facing up with 1/2 seasonings on top and air crisp at 360 degrees for 60 minutes. This is good too but top will get quite a bit more brown.