Air fryer whole chicken is amazing! Super crispy skin outside and tender meat inside makes the best dinner ever. Give this easy air fryer recipe a try.
Did you know you could make an air fryer whole chicken in about an hour right at home??!! Picture a rotisserie chicken from the store but FRESH and super crispy skin that hasn’t been sitting around all day. That is what we’re talking about. Once you fall in love with this try our other easy air fryer recipes too.
- We made a Ninja Foodi roast chicken since that is the machine we have, but you can use any brand of air fryer for this.
In case you aren’t familiar with the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker and air fryer we will tell you why we love it!
Now get out your crisper and let’s get going with our easy air fryer whole chicken instructions here. 😉
Air fryer accessories you will need
- I chose to use the air fryer basket that comes with the Ninja Foodi machine. (seen below)
- You can also use an air fryer trivet so the top skin doesn’t get as brown.
- This is because the trivet will be lower and further away from the heating element.
- That is it, you’re ready!
- I also recommend spraying non stick spray on either way before placing chicken on top.
How to cook a whole chicken in an air fryer
- Wash your chicken and remove bag from inside cavity.
- Season your whole chicken.
- Put on to your trivet or into your air fryer basket.
- Spray with non stick spray first to avoid sticking when it’s removed.
- Turn the temperature to 360 for 60 minutes.
- Remove immediately, slice and enjoy!
This is your air fryer whole chicken once it’s done!
Yes the very top skin does get quite brown but believe it or not it still tastes amazing.
The first time I made this I looked at the air fryer cooking times printable to determine how long it would take. For the size I purchased 75 minutes seemed too long so I set it to 60 instead. I wouldn’t cook it any longer than that. It was absolutely perfect.
If you’re wondering how tender the meat inside this air fryer whole chicken is you can see here.
It’s not overdone at all, tasty and juicy for sure.
If you’re cooking a Ninja Foodi chicken there is a second way to cook a whole chicken.
- You follow the first 3 steps below the same way.
- Then close your pressure cooker lid (one that isn’t attached).
- Follow directions in our pressure cooker whole chicken post.
- Once this is done switch lids and close your air fryer lid.
- Press crisp button 390 degrees for 10 minutes or until the top is as brown as you want it.
- Remove immediately and slice.
Details about the whole chicken we used:
- It was 4.2 lbs.
- I wouldn’t buy one more than about 4.5 lbs.
- Our whole chicken was organic.
- Personally I feel these are leaner and have a better texture.
- There was no bag inside our cavity to be removed.
- Which means we could use our pressure cooker frozen whole chicken instructions.
Things to serve with your air fryer whole chicken
- Brussel Sprouts in the air fryer
- Air fryer pretzels are kinda’ like rolls
- Our air fryer baked potatoes are great.
- Here are other Ninja Foodi recipes if you have that machine.
* Always ensure the internal temp. of your chicken is at least 165 degrees to be safe.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 4 lb whole chicken ours was 4.5 lbs.
- 1 tsp seasoned salt we use Lawry's
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Wash your chicken and remove bag from cavity if there is one.
- Pat dry, then sprinkle seasonings on the top with the breast side facing up.
- Spray the inside of your air fryer basket and place your whole chicken inside (breast side up). I wouldn't recommend cooking a chicken much more than 4.5 lbs. because it will be very close to the top of the air fryer lid and may not fit into your basket.
- Set air fryer to 360 degrees for 60 minutes (for 4.5 lb. chicken).* Alternatively if you don't want your skin to be quite as crispy on top you can put in chicken upside down for 30 min, flip to breast side up and cook remaining 30 minutes at 360 degrees.
- Remove when done, cut into pieces and enjoy!