Whole chicken crockpot recipe is a dinner you will love! The best way to cook a chicken in the slow cooker because it turns out super moist and flavorful.
Here is an easy whole chicken crockpot recipe you will love! You just throw it in and it’s done in about six hours. Just pair it with some rolls or rice and you have yourself a healthy meal! It’s one of our favorite crockpot recipes. (originally published 1/16, affiliate links present)
How to Cook Whole Chicken in Crockpot
We eat a lot of chicken in this house! Some nights I don’t have an hour or an hour and a half to cook a whole chicken in the oven.
In that case I like to use my slow cooker instead first thing in the morning.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Can you overcook chicken in a Crock pot?
I mean if you left it in there a really really long time beyond the cook time listed in your recipe yes everything would get dry. Within 30 minutes of the timing would be just fine. That is why I like the programmable models that turn to warm after you set the # of hours on the pot.
- You literally only need a whole chicken, seasoning, and 4 potatoes or a roll of aluminum foil for this easy chicken recipe.
I like to use Russet or red potatoes but if I don’t have a few on hand and I’m not in the mood to go to the store, aluminum foil will work as well. This is how you make a whole chicken in the crockpot.
How long to cook a whole chicken in a Crockpot
Set aside 4-5 hours to get this done. Just wash and poke all 4 potatoes with a fork all the way around so they can get nice and tender. Try to get them to be somewhat the same size because these will be the trivet for your roasted chicken.
- If you don’t have potatoes just wad up balls of aluminum foil large enough to have the chicken lifted off the bottom of your slow cooker.
- You don’t want it to sit in the juices the whole time and get mushy.
If you are making homemade chicken noodle soup with whole chicken then you can just use as is and follow these directions. No need to broil since you’re going to remove the skin anyway for this meal. use the drippings in the bottom + packaged broth to add into the mix.
What if you want to crispy chicken skin on your slow cooker whole chicken?
There are a few ways you can do this depending on the appliances you own. Of course first you will want to ensure the meat is done on the inside. If it reaches 165 degrees when the thermometer is inserted into the middle of the breast you’re good.
Whole chicken crockpot recipe
Then to get crispy skin you can:
- Put it into a baking dish and into your oven using your broiler setting for 3-5 minutes.
- If you have an air fryer this is the BEST way to do it. You’ll need a large air fryer or Ninja Foodi in order to accommodate the size.
- This is how to crisp chicken in the Crock pot once it’s done. 😉
Here’s a run down on how you make it: This is what it looks like after you’ve left it on low for 4.5-5 hours. It is incredibly moist when it is done.
If it’s done early just move it to warm. It can sit for a good hour or two until you’re ready! That’s how easy cooking a whole chicken in your crockpot really is.
If you love easy crockpot recipes try my 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe.
After you try this easy slow cooker recipe, try these others using a whole chicken?
- Instant Pot whole chicken and other chicken recipes you can make in no time at all
- Dutch oven whole chicken comes out fall off the bone moist with veggies.
How to make air fryer whole chicken is probably my favorite method! It is done in an hour and so crispy as you see here.
Can you cook frozen chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, it is possible! If the meat is cooked too long it could end up dry and not juicy and tender. Also, if you use frozen chicken or more chicken than the recipe calls for, you may need to add additional time.
- If you aren’t quite ready to eat but time is up, just switch to warm instead of allowing it to continue to cook.
- You can remove it and put it into a pan with foil on top to keep warm and not overcook it too.
Tips when choosing a whole chicken:
I’m personally very picky when it comes to buying poultry. I’ve purchased cheaper or store brand birds and have regretted it big time. I feel like there is a BIG difference when it comes to the quality of chickens.
I am frugal but spending an extra few dollars to get an organic one makes all the difference. If you haven’t tried it you should at least once.
- In my opinion it is much more tender and never has that stringy texture you sometimes encounter after it’s been cooked.
They are a bit smaller for the most part but it is mostly due to the fact that they aren’t stuffed with fillers to make them appear larger.
Whole Chicken in Crockpot with Potatoes
Time needed: 5 hours.
Crockpot Whole Chicken
Rinse your whole chicken and take bag out of cavity if it is there.
Place rinsed 4 potatoes that have been pierced with a fork inside your Crockpot.
This is where you will place your chicken (breast side up) so make sure they’re about the same size and crockpot lid will close. If too large cut in half and place together as your “trivet”.
Sprinkle your sliced onion around your potatoes and place your whole chicken on top of your potatoes.
Pour your chicken broth on top of everything and then sprinkle any and all spices like garlic powder and onion poder you’d normally put on your meat and close your lid.
Set on low for 5 hours cook time. I do not recommend to cook on high for this one. Should be done but slice 1 chicken breast to ensure it is no longer pink and appropriate temp.
If juices aren’t clear yet, set for another 30 min. and check.
- Crisp chicken skin
To make skin more like rotisserie chicken, put under the broiler inside a pan for 4-6 minutes. OR throw in your air fryer at 400 degrees F for about the same time until crispy.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Whole Chicken Crockpot Recipe
- Rinse your whole chicken and take bag out of cavity if it is there.
- Rinse 4 potatoes, pierce them with a fork and set them inside your crockpot, this is where you will place your chicken (breast side up) on so make sure they're about the same size and crockpot lid will close. If too large cut in half and place together as your "trivet".
- Sprinkle your sliced onion around your potatoes and place your whole chicken on top of your potatoes.
- Pour your chicken broth on top of everything and then sprinkle any and all spices you’d normally put on your whole chicken and close your lid.
- Set on low for 5 hours. Should be done but slice a breast to ensure it is no longer pink and appropriate temp., if not set for another 30 min. and check.
- To crisp the skin you can put under the broiler inside a pan for 4-6 minutes or in your air fryer at 400 degrees F for about the same time until crispy.