Whole chicken crockpot recipe that you will love! The best way to cook a chicken in the slow cooker because it turns out super moist and flavorful.
We eat a lot of chicken in this house! Some nights I don’t have an hour or an hour and a half to cook a whole chicken in the oven, and need to use my slow cooker instead. Here is an easy whole chicken crockpot recipe you will love because you just throw it in and it’s done in about six hours. Just pair it with some rolls and maybe some rice and you have yourself a complete meal! It’s one of our favorite crockpot recipes. (originally published 1/16)
- You literally only need a whole chicken, seasoning, and 4 potatoes or a roll of aluminum foil for this easy chicken recipe.
I like to use potatoes but if I don’t have a few on hand and I’m not in the mood to go to the store, aluminum foil will work as well.
This is how you make a whole chicken in the crockpot.
Just wash and poke all 4 potatoes with a fork.
Try to get them to be somewhat the same size because these will be the “stilts” for your chicken.
- If you don’t have potatoes just wad up balls of aluminum foil large enough to have the chicken lifted off the bottom of your slow cooker. You don’t want it to sit in the juices the whole time and get mushy.
Here’s a run down on how you make it:
Whole chicken crockpot recipe
Leave it on low for 4.5-5 hours and it is incredibly moist when it is done.
If it’s done early just move it to warm. It can sit for a good hour or two until you’re ready!
That’s how easy cooking a whole chicken in your crockpot really is.
If you love easy crockpot recipes try my 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe.
Looking for other whole chicken recipes?
Whole Chicken Crockpot Recipe
- Rinse your whole chicken and take bag out of cavity if it is there.
- Rinse 4 potatoes, pierce them with a fork and set them inside your crockpot, this is where you will place your chicken on so make sure they're about the same size and crockpot lid will close. If too large cut in half and place together as your "trivet".
- Sprinkle your sliced onion around your potatoes and place your whole chicken on top of your potatoes.
- Pour your chicken broth on top of everything and then sprinkle any and all spices you'd normally put on your whole chicken and close your lid.
- Set on low for 5 hours. Should be done but slice a breast to ensure it is no longer pink and appropriate temp., if not set for another 30 min. and check.
For more great tips, recipes like this whole chicken crockpot recipe, and crafts please sign up for my free weekly newsletter & follow me on Pinterest!