This easy 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe is the easiest you will ever make. Just dump everything into your slow cooker in the morning and enjoy for dinner! You can spice it up if you like or leave it as is. Serve it inside baked potatoes or on top rice for the perfect hearty dinner.
I came up with this 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe years ago. It worked well on a day when I was going to be away. It’s great when it’s “chilly” outside! 😉 It’s one of our very first and our most popular crockpot recipes. (originally published 12/12, post may contain affiliate links)
5 Ingredient Chili
I will tell you that we make this every single week. We change it up by serving it inside potatoes, on rice, or alone smothered with cheese. It’s cheap, healthy and super versatile and GREAT for a crowd. Double for Super Bowl times or for a family it is just about perfect.
Saves really well too if you have one extra serving you save for the next day. I kid you not I don’t know how many thanks I have received from others who love it too. Give it a whirl and you will see, and likely will be added into your meal rotations too.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Even when it is warm outside this few ingredient recipe is our go to meal! It’s actually pretty healthy and inexpensive to make. It tastes great and I love it because it is really a dump and go meal we all enjoy!
5 ingredient Crockpot chili
- Ground beef (or ground turkey, ground spicy sausage is great, or omit entirely)
- Kidney beans (I usually use these)
- Diced tomatoes (I like these)
- Tomato sauce (this small can is perfect)
- Chili seasoning or a blend of your own spices
Diced or minced onions are optional but I’ll usually add them in too if I have some on hand.
If you’re in a real hurry you can make this in under 30 minutes flat. Use our easy Instant Pot chili directions here.
5 ingredient slow cooker chili recipe
- First brown ground beef or sausage on your stovetop over medium high heat until outsides are no longer pink. Pour cooked beef into the crockpot
- Then dump all other remaining ingredients into the crock pot on top of that.
Of course, please add chili powder and/or red peppers if you want some heat to it. I usually do not but that is totally up to y’all.
- Let it cook all day long on low which makes the means really soft and flavorful as they, and the meat, soak up the good juices from the sauce.
- We typically serve it on top of rice or inside potatoes, here’s the best way to make baked potatoes
- It’s a great meal and quite healthy too!
Of course you could omit the meat entirely if you want to make a 5 ingredient vegetarian chili of sorts.
I like to use a smaller crockpot to make my 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe
- Smaller meaning it still feeds the 5 of us with leftovers for lunch the next day. It’s about a 3 quart size crockpot, like the one you see here .
I swear by my rice cooker and pressure cooker. Jasmine rice is our go to as far as serving goes. It is cheap and everyone just loves it. If you don’t have one I would HIGHLY suggest picking either one up!
They aren’t expensive and last forever. You can serve this mild hearty chili over rice or we have even put some inside crockpot baked potatoes with some shredded sharp cheese on top! The possibilities are endless once you have the basics that you need to prepare them.
What goes with chili for a party?
Let me tell you, if you have a large crowd you have got to make a chili bar with all the fixings! It is super cheap to put together and people love it!
Some of the best chili toppings are as follows:
- Cheese is a given of course
- Diced onions give it a bit of texture
- Tobasco or diced jalapenos give it a real kick of heat
- Sour cream is actually a new favorite of ours
If you want some heat you can of course add dry red chili pepper flakes into the mix. Be gentle at first as you don’t want to make it too hot because you can’t tone it down easily at the end. Diced jalapenos work well too if you’d prefer.
What bread goes best with chili?
5 Ingredient Crockpot Chili
Looking for more easy crockpot recipes?
- Crockpot macaroni and cheese recipe
- Bloody mary chili can be made in the crockpot
- Easy crockpot lasagna recipe
If you have a bunch coming over you can serve it in a multitude of ways really. We have tried them all.
Best way to serve chili
- In bowls with cheese on top of course
- On top of rice – Instant Pot white rice is the best
Five Ingredient Slow Cooker Chili
Here’s a quick rundown below but in the recipe card at the bottom you can actually print it all out.
Time needed: 6 hours.
5 Ingredient Crockpot Chili
In a pan brown your ground beef or ground sausage on the stovetop. If you want to add freshly diced onion do so at this time so they can soften along with your meat.
- Add ingredients
Drain the grease from your meat (or keep it if you think it adds more flavor, either way is fine). Dump it into your crockpot. Add all other ingredients and stir together.
Put on low in your crockpot to cook all day but at least for 4 hrs minimum. Serve with cheese on top or inside baked potatoes.
This really is our favorite dump dinner of all times we’ve made for 10+ years now.
McCormick Slow Cooker Chili
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
5 Ingredient Crockpot Chili Recipe
- 1 can diced tomatoes we like petite, 15 oz.
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz.
- 1 can kidney beans 15 oz.
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 packet chili seasoning spice aisle (or use 1 tsp. Lawry's + 1 tsp garlic salt + 1 tbsp. dry minced dehydrated onions + 1/4-1/2 tsp chili seasoning)
- 1/3 c. water only if you want a thinner version
- 1 tsp chili powder optional – if you want a bit of spice
- Brown your ground beef on the stovetop
- Drain meat and add to your crockpot.
- Add all other ingredients and stir
- Put on low in your crockpot to cook all day but at least for 4 hrs minimum.