This easy 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe is the easiest you will ever make. Just dump everything into your slow cooker in the morning and enjoy for dinner! You can spice it up if you like or leave it as is. Serve it inside baked potatoes or on top rice for the perfect hearty dinner.
I came up with this 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe years ago. It worked well on a day when I was going to be away. It’s great when it’s “chilly” outside! 😉 It’s one of our very first and our most popular crockpot recipes. (originally published 12/12, post may contain affiliate links)
Even when it is warm outside this is our go to meal! It’s actually pretty healthy and inexpensive to make…not to mention it tastes great and I love it because it is really a dump and go meal we all enjoy!
Here is what you will need and just how easy it is to prepare this easy 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe in your slow cooker / crockpot.
- Ground beef (or ground turkey, ground spicy sausage is great, or omit entirely)
- Kidney beans (I usually use these)
- Diced tomatoes (I like these)
- Tomato sauce (this small can is perfect)
- Chili seasoning or a blend of your own spices
Diced or minced onions are optional but I’ll usually add them in too if I have some on hand.
If you’re in a real hurry you can make this in under 30 minutes flat. Use our easy Instant Pot chili directions here.
Here is basically how we make our 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe
- First brown ground beef or sausage on your stovetop over medium high heat until outsides are no longer pink. Pour cooked beef into the crockpot
- Then dump all other remaining ingredients into the crock pot on top of that.
- add chili powder and/or red peppers if you want some heat to it
- Let it cook all day long on low which makes the means really soft and flavorful as they, and the meat, soak up the good juices from the sauce.
- We typically serve it on top of rice or inside potatoes, here’s the best way to make baked potatoes
- It’s a great meal and quite healthy too!
- If you don’t like meat just make it vegetarian.
I like to use a smaller crockpot to make my 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe
- Smaller meaning it still feeds the 5 of us with leftovers for lunch the next day. It’s about a 3 quart size crockpot, like the one you see here .
I swear by my rice cooker and pressure cooker. Jasmine rice is our go to as far as serving goes. It is cheap and everyone just loves it. If you don’t have one I would HIGHLY suggest picking either one up!
They aren’t expensive and last forever.
What goes with chili for a party?
Let me tell you, if you have a large crowd you have got to make a chili bar with all the fixings! It is super cheap to put together and people love it!
Some of the best chili toppings are as follows:
- Cheese is a given of course
- Diced onions give it a bit of texture
- Tobasco or diced jalapenos give it a real kick of heat
- Sour cream is actually a new favorite of ours
What bread goes best with chili?
Best way to serve chili:
Looking for more easy crockpot recipes?
5 Ingredient Crockpot Chili Recipe
- 1 can diced tomatoes we like petite, 15 oz.
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz.
- 1 can kidney beans 15 oz.
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 packet chili seasoning spice aisle (or use 1 tbsp. Lawry's + 1 tbsp. minced dehydrated onions)
- 1/3 c. water only if you want a thinner version
- 1 tsp chili powder optional - if you want a bit of spice
- Brown your ground beef on the stovetop
- Drain meat and add to your crockpot.
- Add all other ingredients and stir
- Put on low in your crockpot to cook all day but at least for 4 hrs minimum.