Here are TWO easy cheesy crockpot macaroni and cheese recipe styles we love! Just dump it into your slow cooker and let it cook by itself all day long. I will never make homemade mac and cheese any other way now.
To make my crockpot macaroni and cheese recipe you will need just a few ingredients (you probably already have them in your cupboard) and it’s quick to throw together.
Unlike boxed macaroni and cheese this is richer and smoother than that and is fabulous the next day too.
I have made this two different ways and am including both recipes in this post. One way tastes like if you made it totally homemade in the oven with the crispier edges of cheese on top and is a no boil macaroni and cheese recipe (which I love).
Here’s what you need to make this crockpot macaroni and cheese recipe and a video showing you how we made it
- Uncooked macaroni noodles
- Cheddar cheese – or us a mix of mozzarella and cheddar
- Evaporated milk
- Bacon bits – optional
The other uses canned cheddar cheese soup and comes out smoother and more like a velveeta textured mac and cheese.
Both are good, just depends on your preference. The first version below you do NOT have to boil the noodles which makes it uber easy!!
Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups macaroni noodles uncooked
- 4 c cheese a mix of mozzerella or jack and sharp is best
- 1.5 c Milk
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp bacon bits optional
- 2 eggs
- Pour milks and eggs in slow cooker. Whisk together (if you want to omit egg, there is a time adjustment below)
- Pour noodles and 3 cups of your cheese in too and stir until mixed.
- Top with 1 cup cheese and bacon bits.
- Put cover on and cook for 5 hrs. on low or if omitting the egg cook for 2.5 hrs. on low (or until noodles are desired softnesss). You don't want it to be overdone so check before these times using a toothpick to feel if noodles are done.
Here’s a quick video showing how I made the second version (quite a while ago) using canned cheddar cheese soup, but boiled the noodles before putting them into the crockpot. It’s still pretty easy to make in your slow cooker, just a different variety.
The recipe for this crock pot mac and cheese is below.
The first version I found on food.com quite a while ago and modified it over time to what it is here as posted, the second I learned from my cousin and modified it over time as well.
We hope you enjoy them both!
We also have a quick Instant Pot macaroni and cheese recipe you can try!
The second way to make crockpot macaroni and cheese is to
- boil 16 oz. of noodles and drain when they are about 1/2 way done, so yes they are al dente quite a bit (they will soften and if you put them in fully cooked they will get mushy).
- Throw the noodles (16 oz. or so, I used this whole box) in the crockpot on low (or 300 if you have one like mine here).
- Shred 2 cups of cheddar cheese and throw in, put in the whole can of cheddar cheese soup just like it is in the can
- Add 1 1/2 cups sour cream (you can use light).
- Cook this for an hour.
- After that hour pour 2 cups of milk in and stir
- Allow it to cook about an hour more and it is done and delish!!
- You can just add everything together at once and cook for 2 hours and it turns out wonderful too.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉