How to make copycat Velveeta cheese sauce for broccoli, nachos or baked potatoes. Easy with only 3 ingredients and tastes just like store bought.
This is how to make homemade Velveeta cheese sauce, because we love that stuff! Using it in all sorts of recipes, on top of vegetables or on top of chips it’s great. Cheap and simple to throw together and make yourself. An easy side dish you too will find lots of uses for. (affiliate links present)
Homemade Cheese Sauce for Pasta
If you want something really easy for an after school snack, you can totally make some Instant Pot pasta and just toss this right in. Sort of a cheater macaroni and cheese recipe that is sure to get thumbs up from your kiddos for sure.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
How to Make Velveeta Cheese Sauce
Throw in some diced up leftover chicken to add protein and voila you have dinner in a flash. Have picky eaters who need some cheese for vegetables all the time or they won’t touch it? I get it, I have 3 girls and we were there once. I’d use this early on, add less and less as the years went on and it was a way to get kids to eat vegetables.
Homemade Cheese Sauce for Broccoli
This is what I used it on most of all. I love this green veggie but yes I do believe that cheddar cheese sauce just makes everything better. These are the 3 ways we make it and then smother this goodness all over the top:
- I most commonly make Instant Pot broccoli because it takes a whopping ONE minute.
- Air fryer broccoli is our second favorite way because it gives the edges just a little crisp.
- You can opt for this steamed broccoli with cheese if you aren’t big on kitchen countertop appliance cooking.
You will want a food processor to blend this all together. If you don’t have one just use a blender instead, that will work.
How to Make Homemade Cheese Sauce
You can make this spicy nacho cheese if you want to add some heat or just keep it mild like we did here. There are a few ways to add heat, my favorites would be to add a squeeze of Sriracha, diced fresh roasted jalapenos or some cayenne pepper. To make the base you will need:
- Pre shredded cheddar cheese – sharp cheddar is best
- Non fat dry milk powder
- Powdered gelatine unflavored mix
- Boiling water can be done in the microwave or in a pot over medium heat
If you are just keeping it liquified and don’t want to harden it like a copycat Velveeta recipe of sorts then that is all you need. To make it into a “log” you’ll do this by pouring it into a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so it lifts out easily. This is better when making queso dip with meat.
Easy Cheese Sauce Recipe
My girls actually like this as a chicken nuggets dipping sauce too. Like I said, they love cheesy all the things so why not on chicken too right?
You want to make sure the liquid you add is very hot and boiling. That way the dry milk will dissolve and cheese will melt smooth and won’t be grainy. Adding some soft cheeses into the mix like fontina, Gouda, Gruyere or Havarti will make it extra creamy as well.
Want to make it heartier, similar to our sausage gravy that is killer on top of all the things too? Add some precooked sausage or ground beef into the shredded cheese melted mixture too. A tbsp. of garlic powder and/or onion powder can be a yummy add in too.
Copycat Velveeta Cheese
You can serve it right away if you’re making Velveeta mac and cheese after it is melted and nicely smooth. Or make into a block like you commonly see it at the store packaged up. If you are melting a piece of the block later into a sauce, add milk to the bowl so it smooths out nicely again in the microwave.
- All you do is in a food processor pulse together gelatin and dry milk. Add hot boiling water into your machine and pulse again a few times.
- Add the cheese and blend it up until it has melted and dissolved everything and mixture is creamy.
- If you want it to make this into a block, line a loaf pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Pour hot mix into loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place into your fridge overnight to solidify.
Now jump to recipe below and use it in one of our Velveeta recipes like our
- Instant Pot chicken spaghetti
- Easy Instant Pot fondue
- Crockpot mac and cheese recipe
- Or make some shrimp rotel dip with it
Want more dairy YUM? Try air fryer grilled cheese for lunch!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How to Make Velveeta Cheese Sauce
- In a food processor pulse together gelatin and dry milk. Carefully add boiling water into machine and pulse again a few times.
- Add shredded cheese and blend until it has melted and mixture is creamy.
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper so all sides are covered so you can lift it out once hardened. (not necessary if using as a cheese sauce only)
- Pour into loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place into your fridge overnight to solidify. (if you want it as a solid block)