How to make air fryer nachos with chips and cheese or ultimate with meat, beans and salsa too! Cook in your Cosori or Ninja Foodi using the air crisp function. Use store bought bags or this is how to make tortilla chips from scratch first.
Nachos in the air fryer is a game changer for an after school snack. You can add as many toppings as you like or just the melted cheese. When done it is an ooey gooey treat that is cheap and everyone loves this easy air fryer recipe. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Nachos
You can use any brand of machine you have at home. I love it in my Ninja Foodi or Cosori air fryer as well. And yes I have an AirWave too so yeah I’m kinda’ obsessed. They all work basically the same way with hot air circulating all around your food to heat it to perfection to make it crispy. In this case we are using it to just melt really.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
Similar to grilled cheese in air fryer it doesn’t take long to get it all done. My teenagers make this quite often with just store bought Tostitos and shredded Mexican cheese right out of the bag, makes it easy. When done you can really enjoy right out of the basket or if you want to add toppings, transfer to a plate.
If you love easy air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Chips and Cheese in Air Fryer
Now let’s talk about the good stuff shall we. Toppings for nachos is where it is at right? I mean the bottom base is just a vessel to scoop up all the things globbed on the top. There are lots of options including things you could add in between the chips and cheese like drained black beans or pinto beans!
Nachos are a versatile and delicious snack that can be customized with a wide range of toppings to suit your taste preferences. Here are some popular toppings when making nachos:
- Start with a generous amount of melted cheese as the base. Common options include shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend of Mexican cheeses like queso fresco or Oaxaca. I’ve found dairy free from Daiya at the store too.
- Add a dollop or drizzle of red or our copycat Qdoba salsa verde for a burst of flavor. Choose from options like chunky tomato salsa, tangy salsa verde, or spicy pico de gallo.
- A dollop of cool and tangy sour cream balances the heat and adds a creamy element to the nachos. I have found dairy free versions for my husband too!
- Sliced black or green olives offer a briny and salty flavor to the nachos. Sprinkle them over the cheese for an extra dimension of taste.
- Creamy and flavorful guacamole is a classic nacho topping. Mash ripe avocados with lime juice, salt, diced tomatoes, onions, and cilantro for a fresh and 4 Ingredient Guacamole Recipe.
- Fresh diced tomatoes add a juicy and refreshing element to the nachos. They also provide a colorful contrast to the other toppings.
- Garnish your nachos with thinly sliced scallions for a mild onion flavor and a pop of green color.
- Chopped fresh cilantro adds a bright and herbal note to the nachos. It pairs well with the other flavors and provides a fresh finishing touch.
- Sliced pickled or roasted jalapeños add a spicy kick to your nachos. Adjust the amount based on your spice tolerance.
Ninja Air Fryer Chicken Nachos
Optional meat toppings can include cooked and seasoned ground meat (such as beef, chicken, or turkey). Drain corn kernels, slice bell peppers, pickle onions, shred lettuce, or even a drizzle some hot sauce or BBQ sauce on top for added flavor.
Remember to layer the toppings evenly over the cheese and chips for balanced bites. It’s also important to spread the toppings out, ensuring that each chip gets its fair share of deliciousness.
Nachos in Air Fryer
If you want to make this dish into more of a meal than a snack then add meat!! I will usually use leftover chicken breasts under the cheese if I have some on hand. Shredded beef works, pork, as long as it is precooked you are good to go to throw that on in there on a layer.
It makes a great leftover taco meat recipe too for the next day. Adds tons of flavor with the protein that is already seasoned well. Something my kiddos make pretty often, okay my husband does too. This is about what you should add for one batch that will fit into the air fryer basket;
- 4 handfuls chips
- 1 c cheese shredded
- Chicken precooked and diced is optional
- Black beans drained, optional, canned
- 1/2 c corn kernels, drained, canned
- 1 pinch jalapeno diced, optional
These really don’t save well at all so you will want to make a fresh batch for anyone who is ready to eat. Fresh is best as the cheese will harden after about 10 minutes of sitting out in the open so don’t make them in advance, made to order is best.
Chicken Nachos in Air Fryer
Air fried nachos are super easy for Game Day. What you can do to make to order is have all the fixings laid out on a buffet table and let everyone make their own! Prepare some air fryer ground beef or make cooked chicken ahead of time. Keep warm in a slow cooker or just have in bowls with all the other fixin’s.
- Add chips into air fryer basket to cover bottom, they can overlap.
- Put a layer of chips down and then layer other ingredients you want to add on top sprinkling it on over them all with the cheese being on the very top of everything.
- Close the drawer and set to 350 degrees, air fry for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Remove the drawer and enjoy right out of the basket.
Air fryer nachos recipe here is a quick and easy 15 minute or less creation. I think I have explained it all to you at this point but you can jump to recipe and print it to keep handy or on the table for your guests too.
About 4-5 minutes is all you need to melt cheese in an air fryer really. That depends on how thick the layer is but typically that is enough time. We use this method to make grilled cheese or nachos in air fryer.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Nachos
- Add chips into air fryer basket to cover bottom, they can overlap. Layer the ingredients you want to add on top sprinkling it on over them all with the cheese being on the very top of everything.
- Close the drawer and set to 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove the drawer and enjoy right out of the basket.