How to make tortilla chips in air fryer or Ninja Foodi is here! Using store bought or homemade tortillas in air fryer into a crispy snack. Use flour or corn with salsa for total YUM.
Air fryer tortilla chips are so good. From scratch is always better and that doesn’t stop at just dinner. Just grab the 1 ingredient you need with a bit of olive oil and seasonings of your choice and make a few to try for yourself. You may never buy chips at the store after this easy air fryer recipe. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Tortilla Chips
Whether you want a big batch for game day or just a crunchy snack for the weekend with our copycat Qdoba salsa verde these are always a hit. You can use any brand you might have at home. You don’t want them to overlap too much or you won’t get the texture you want so larger is better.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
- 6 tortillas – corn is preferred
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/5 tsp cumin
- 4 tbsp olive oil
If you wanted to add a bit of spicy to them a dash of chili powder or red pepper flakes work well. For a citrus flavor squeeze some fresh lime juice on top when they are done too.
If you love easy air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
How to Make Tortilla Chips from Flour Tortillas
You can in fact do this same thing with store bought or homemade flour tortillas you have made. It is easiest if you use a sharp pizza cutter so they are all the same size and you can just run it thru. If you stack a few on top of one another the prep doesn’t take very long.
- Take the flour tortillas and stack them together. You can stack several tortillas at a time, depending on how many chips you want to make.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut the tortillas into triangles or desired chip shapes. Each tortilla can be cut into 6 to 8 wedges.
- Place the cut tortilla pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer, making sure they don’t overlap.
- Lightly brush or spray the tortilla triangles with cooking oil. This will help them crisp up.
- If desired, sprinkle salt or any other seasonings or spices of your choice over the tortilla chips. Common options include chili powder, paprika, cumin, or garlic powder.
These would not work with egg white tortillas as those are very delicate and would fall apart I think. Those are better for wraps instead if you ask me.
How to Make Tortilla Chips in the Air Fryer
Biggest tip as far as success goes is to give them a bit of space. You want the hot air to be able to rotate well around each piece to brown and crisp up well. If they aren’t in a single layer the pieces that are touching will remain softer.
- Mix seasonings together in a bowl + 1 tbsp of olive oil. Brush the corn tortilla with the oil and spice mixture using a silicone brush.
- Cut the yellow corn tortillas into small 1-2 inch pieces. (use a pizza cutter and slice like you would a pizza into triangular pieces)
- Place the tortilla pieces in the air fryer basket and fry for 3 minutes cooking time total at 360 F.
- After 2 minutes, shake dried chips and air fry for 1 more minute.
- Then do this again and again with the next tortillas;
- Brush the next tortilla with oil, salt and paprika. Then cut into chips.
- Transfer the paprika tortilla pieces to the air fryer basket and fry for 2 minutes, then shake the basket and fry for 1 more minute.
- Brush with oil and salt the next tortilla, cut into pieces.
Transfer the tortilla pieces to the air fryer basket and fry for 2+1 minutes. Repeat all steps with the remaining oil and spices. Allow crispy chips to cool to room temperature before serving with all the dips you love.
How to Make Tortilla Chips in the Oven
You would follow the same prepping steps as explained below in the recipe card. Instead you would preheat your traditional oven to 350 degrees F though. Once they were cut, brushed with oil or olive oil cooking spray and seasoned, just leave them on the baking sheet and put into the preheated oven. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the chips become golden brown and crispy. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
Homemade Tortilla Chips Recipe
Ok so let’s go over a few questions that have come up so far with my followers that have made these shall we?
Normal deep fried chips soak up the oil they are being cooked in which will add to the fat and calorie content. BUT if you make our homemade tortilla chips in air fryer that we share here they are pretty healthy actually! Only requiring a light brush of oil and seasonings you get the same crunch.
Corn chips are typically what people think of when they see Fritos while tortilla chips aren’t always made with corn tortillas. You can use flour tortillas to make chips too, we will show you how to make both of them in an air fryer.
Air Fryer Chips
If you want another crispy dish to serve with these, a bit heartier you should make our Instant Pot Frito chili pie!! You could in fact do the same thing with these and transition it from a snack to more of a meal depending on what you serve it with. Salsa is a given but think way beyond that!!
What can I eat with tortilla chips if I don’t have salsa?
Well the list is long and endless really. If you wanted to make Taco bell cinnamon sugar chips you could do so like this but sprinkled with a cinnamon and sugar mixture instead of salt. Works well with flour low carb tortillas this way as well. Those can be enjoyed with something sweet like our Philadelphia cream cheese dip.
- Our queso dip with meat is beyond delicious. I make it in a disposable aluminum pan for easier cleanup. I’ve made this in the oven as described in the link here as well as on the grill smoker.
- If you want to add some seafood, our shrimp rotel dip is a fun one that is ooey gooey.
If you have a large crowd over it is fun to make a chip bar on your buffet table so they can become more of a meal with hearty choices to serve with, like 5 ingredient chili and more.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How to Make Tortilla Chips in Air Fryer
- Mix seasonings together in a bowl + 1 tbsp of olive oil. Brush the corn tortilla with the oil and spice mixture using a silicone brush. Cut the corn tortilla into small 1-2 inch pieces. (use a pizza cutter and slice like you would a pizza into triangular pieces)
- Place the tortilla pieces in the air fryer basket and fry for 2 minutes at 360 F. Shake dried chips and fry for 1 more minute. Brush the next tortilla with oil, salt and paprika. Then cut into chips.
- Transfer the paprika tortilla pieces to the air fryer basket and fry for 2minutes, then shake the basket and fry for 1 more minute. Brush with oil and salt the next tortilla, cut into pieces.
- Transfer the tortilla pieces to the air fryer basket and fry for 2+1 minutes. Repeat all steps with the remaining oil and spices. Fry the chips for another 2+1 minutes. Now you have four types of tortilla corn chips.