Have you ever had a Frito pie??!! Well if not you’re in for a treat because we made this Instant Pot Frito chili pie recipe last night and it was the bomb!
If you’ve never tried this you aren’t totally alone. I will say you’re missing out though!! Oh yes you NEED to make this easy Frito chili pie recipe on the stovetop or in your Instant Pot!! Definitely a favorite amongst all of our easy Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Frito Pie
Think about total comfort food with a bit of a kick, this is it! We started with our 5 ingredient Instant Pot chili and created this oldie but goodie dish. You could make Ninja Foodi chili too, it doesn’t matter what brand of pressure cooker you have at home.
Loaded up with all the toppings you love on tacos, with crunchy and crispy corn chip crunch you love.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
You can totally make it either way but I’m a bit obsessed with my fancy pressure cooker so we are going to go with that….but I’ll explain both ways to you…..
I had it for the first time when I lived in Texarkana and went to a local fair.
Frito chili pie recipe
Frito chili pie
- Bag of Fritos – I used the traditional smaller size, not dip size – This is a GREAT camping recipe too, cook over a campfire, pour chili into small Frito bags, topped with toppings and serve in bag!!
- Black beans
- Enchilada sauce – I used mild and it still had quite a bit of kick to it
Ground beef – you could use ground sausage too and I think that would be pretty killer
- Onion – just adds lots of flavor to everything
- Taco seasoning – you can make your own but I’m too lazy for that and buy the one in the packet
- Diced tomatoes – I like petite diced in the can personally
- Avocado – or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Slow cooker cornbread is a great side
Load on the toppings I say…….
Ninja Foodi Frito Pie
Like I said, you can make this Instant Pot Frito chili pie style or on the stovetop.
If you’re making it on the stovetop make it like this:
- Use a medium size pot on medium heat
- Add olive oil
- Put in ground beef and break up
- Add diced onion
- Cook until ground beef is cooked and onions are softening
- Turn heat to low
- Add packet of taco seasoning and stir so meat and onions are coated
- Add enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes and can of black beans
- Allow mixture to come to a slow simmer and then turn off heat
Put Fritos on plate + scoop of meat + some Fritos + all the toppings you want
Instant Pot Chili Frito Pie
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Frito Chili Pie Recipe
- If using Instant Pot set to saute and add ground beef and onions, cook until pink is gone, if making on stovetop do the same on low in a pot on the stovetop.
- Turn Instant Pot off or leave on low on the stovetop and add taco seasoning packet, mix until meat is covered with seasoning.
- Add can of black beans, enchilada sauce, and diced tomatoes and stir. Put lid on Instant Pot and close steam valve. Set to pressure high for 3 minutes or if using stovetop allow to heat up until it simmers nonstop while stirring consistently and then turn off stove and serve as directed below.
- Do a quick release on Instant Pot and serve as follows:Put a layer of Fritos, then a scoop of chili mixture, then fritos, a layer of cheese, slices of avocado, a dollop of sour cream and chives on top if desired. Serve!