Have you ever had a Frito pie??!! Well if not you’re in for a treat because we made this Instant Pot Frito chili pie recipe last night and it was the bomb!
If you’ve never had a Frito pie you aren’t totally alone but I will say you’re missing out!! Think about total comfort food with a bit of a kick, loaded up with all the toppings you love on a taco really with the corn chip crunch you love. Oh yes you NEED to make this easy Frito chili pie recipe on the stovetop or in your Instant Pot!! Definitely a favorite amongst all of us when they look at all the Instant Pot recipes I’ve made over the years.
You can totally make it either way but I’m a bit obsessed with my fancy pressure cooker so we are going to go with that….but I’ll explain both ways to you…..
I had it for the first time when I lived in Texarkana and went to a local fair.
I had NO idea what a Frito chili pie recipe was since I was a CA. native. When I tried it I was hooked!
This is what you’ll need to make this Frito chili pie recipe for your family too.
- Bag of Fritos – I used the traditional smaller size, not dip size – This is a GREAT camping recipe too, cook over a campfire, pour chili into small Frito bags, topped with toppings and serve in bag!!
- Black beans
- Enchilada sauce – I used mild and it still had quite a bit of kick to it
- Ground beef – you could use ground sausage too and I think that would be pretty killer
- Onion – just adds lots of flavor to everything
- Taco seasoning – you can make your own but I’m too lazy for that and buy the one in the packet
- Diced tomatoes – I like petite diced in the can personally
- Avocado – or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Green onions
Load on the toppings I say…….
Like I said, you can make this Instant Pot Frito chili pie style or on the stovetop.
If you’re making it on the stovetop make it like this:
- Use a medium size pot on medium heat
- Add olive oil
- Put in ground beef and break up
- Add diced onion
- Cook until ground beef is cooked and onions are softening
- Turn heat to low
- Add packet of taco seasoning and stir so meat and onions are coated
- Add enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes and can of black beans
- Allow mixture to come to a slow simmer and then turn off heat
- Put Fritos on plate + scoop of meat + some Fritos + all the toppings you want
Here are the Instant Pot Frito pie directions and a video showing you how we make it in our pressure cooker:
Frito Chili Pie Recipe
- If using Instant Pot set to saute and add ground beef and onions, cook until pink is gone, if making on stovetop do the same on low in a pot on the stovetop.
- Turn Instant Pot off or leave on low on the stovetop and add taco seasoning packet, mix until meat is covered with seasoning.
- Add can of black beans, enchilada sauce, and diced tomatoes and stir. Put lid on Instant Pot and close steam valve. Set to pressure high for 3 minutes or if using stovetop allow to heat up until it simmers nonstop while stirring consistently and then turn off stove and serve as directed below.
- Do a quick release on Instant Pot and serve as follows:Put a layer of Fritos, then a scoop of chili mixture, then fritos, a layer of cheese, slices of avocado, a dollop of sour cream and chives on top if desired. Serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉