This easy 4 ingredient Instant Pot macaroni and cheese recipe is the best dinner ever! Just 8 minutes to the perfect pressure cooker mac and cheese loaded with creamy cheeses and bacon too if you want. It’s a great after school snack for kids and the quickest homemade macaroni and cheese recipe ever.
OH MY….this 4 ingredient Instant Pot macaroni and cheese is one of our favorite meals! I’ve made it in the crockpot, stovetop, and today made it in my new pressure cooker and seriously it was amazing + only took 10 minutes total! Yes we’ve made the boxed version a lot, and I think I had it at least twice a week this way growing up, but making it from scratch is just amazing! You only really need 4 ingredients + some water too, that’s a easy meal win in my book. 😉 It’s one of my kids’ favorite Instant Pot recipes. Here’s the recipe. (originally published 1/17)
Oh yum is right huh??
It’s the best way to make homemade Instant Pot macaroni and cheese in less than 20 minutes flat I tell you……
and it’s a great after school snack!
Seriously…..amazing, and faster than the boxed version!! Now that’s a huge win. You can use a mixture of different cheese or just use cheddar (sharp is best) which is what we usually do and did here.
Really, I use what I have in the house…I’m that kinda’ cook. 😉
So the only thing you’ll need to “prep” is:
- shred 3 cups of either cheddar (we like sharp), or a mixture of jack and cheddar
- boil your noodles in the Instant Pot for about 3 minutes (longer for gluten free pasta or if you want really soft set to 4 min.)
- add the rest of your ingredients when noodles are done
- stir and enjoy
This is what you’ll need to make this easy homemade Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Here’s a video showing you how easy it is to make:
If you let it sit the sauce will thicken a bit more but we think it is perfect as soon as the cheese is melted and serve it immediately with a pinch of bacon bits on top. It serves the 5 of us just fine with a side of salad for dinner.
Instant Pot macaroni and cheese is a great after school snack because it’s so quick and easy.
Looking for more Instant Pot pasta recipes?
If you want to make boxed Kraft mac and cheese in a pressure cooker we have instructions for that too!
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 c noodles macaroni or shell are good
- 4 c water
- 3/4-1 c evaporated milk 1 cup if you don't want it quite as thick
- 2 c cheese can use more of course
- 3 tbsp butter
- Add your water, macaroni noodles, and salt. Put your Instant Pot or pressure cooker on manual, high pressure, for 2 minutes. (3 minutes if you prefer noodles on the softer side)
- Lock lid on and close pressure valve.
- Do a quick pressure release when time is up, turn IP off. Carefully open the lid. Drain remaining water.
- Set IP to saute low and add your butter (allow to melt), then your evaporated milk (add 3/4 c. then when cheese is melted add remaining 1/4 c if you want it not as thick) then your cheese allowing it to melt and stirring until all cheese is melted and your macaroni and cheese is the consistency you want.
- To thin it out to your desired consistency add more evaporated milk, or regular milk.
- Turn IP off. By now sauce should be a bit thicker and ready to serve. Best when eaten immediately!