Perfect Instant Pot Broccoli every single time! Our favorite steamed vegetable side dish can now be cooked in a pressure cooker in no time at all.
We’re back with more to add to our long list of easy Instant Pot recipes with this Instant Pot broccoli! Yes I have been trying to eat healthier so we cook a lot of vegetables in our pressure cooker. I’m also glad to say my girls LOVE any and all veggies so I need a variety to serve with every meal.
I think broccoli is probably our favorite vegetable…and we don’t need to smother it with cheese either to love it (though that is yummy too).
- Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top with a little butter and seriously I think we could eat 3 bunches between the 5 of us. My kids would choose vegetables over eating meat any day!
Why is Instant Pot broccoli better than using the stovetop?
- There is NO need to constantly check on it to make sure it doesn’t overcook when using a pressure cooker (1 min. too long for broccoli can mean a mushy mess and no veggies for that night).
- You just throw it all in and walk away knowing it will be perfect when the beeper goes off.
- It won’t make your entire house smell like broccoli
- It doesn’t particularly bother me but using a pot and steamer basket on the stovetop seems to emit the smell while it’s cooking and it isn’t always pleasant for everyone
- Cooking broccoli in a pressure cooker is just EASY once you know how long it takes, which I’m going to share with you below.
- I use this Instant Pot vegetable cook times sheet to remind me of approximately how long each vegetable takes to cook/steam. Feel free to print it out yourself so you can keep it handy too!
How long does Instant Pot broccoli take to cook perfectly?
- Just like Instant Pot shrimp it doesn’t take long, 1 minute is perfection for me but my daughters prefer 2 minutes
- If you like it cooked but not super duper soft then 1 minute will do it
- But if you love soft (but not mushy) steamed broccoli then set for 2 minutes
- This comes down to personal preference and if it is your first go around I would set for 1 minute and test it out, if you want it a bit softer then you know 2 minutes is your time.
- Timing below is for 1 head of broccoli with the stalk removed and cut into florets (med. size pcs.)
- If you have 2 larger sized heads I’d increase the time by 1 minute, so if you cook for 1 min. normally I’d set for 2 min. for double the broccoli just remember as a general rule you shouldn’t fill your pot more than 3/4 of the way full.
Got it?!! 😉
What you need to make broccoli in your pressure cooker:
- Instant Pot vegetable steamer basket
- Head of broccoli
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
Get to cooking your Instant Pot broccoli, and then enjoy these other Instant Pot vegetable recipes:
- Instant Pot brussel sprouts will get you to LOVE this underrated veggie
- Instant Pot cauliflower with a cheesy creamy sauce that is keto friendly too
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker you can try this easy steamed broccoli recipe
If you need to make Ninja Foodi broccoli you will follow the same instructions below, use your pressure cooker lid (the one that isn’t attached), and press the pressure button, high, for 1 minute (or 2 for softer), quick release!
Instant Pot Broccoli
- 2 heads broccoli cut off stalk and into pcs as shown in photo
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese shredded
- Pour 1.5 c of water into your Instant Pot and put your vegetable steamer basket inside.
- Wash your broccoli and cut off stalk, into smaller pieces.
- Put into steamer basket, close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 1 minute. (set for 2 minutes if you like your broccoli very soft or you have more than 2 heads)
- Do a quick release and lift out basket, pour florets into a bowl.
- Pour melted butter on top and sprinkle parmesan cheese on and serve.