Perfect Instant Pot Broccoli every single time! Our favorite steamed vegetable side dish can now be cooked in a pressure cooker in no time at all.
We’re back with more to add to our long list of easy Instant Pot recipes with this Instant Pot broccoli! Yes I have been trying to eat healthier so we cook a lot of vegetables in our pressure cooker. I’m also glad to say my girls LOVE any and all veggies so I need a variety to serve with every meal. (originally published 2/19, participant in the Amazon program, affiliate links present)
Steam Broccoli in the Instant Pot
We don’t need to smother it with cheese either to love it (though that is yummy too).
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Of course you can just enjoy it as is with a pinch of salt and pepper or amp it up with other things on top.
- Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top with a little butter and seriously I think we could eat 3 bunches between the 5 of us. My kids would choose vegetables over eating meat any day!
Broccoli in Instant Pot
Steam Broccoli Instant Pot
Why is pressure cooker broccoli better than using the stovetop?
- There is NO need to constantly check on it to make sure it doesn’t overcook when using a pressure cooker (1 min. too long for broccoli can mean a mushy mess and no veggies for that night).
You just throw it all in and walk away knowing your Instant Pot steamed broccoli will be perfect when the beeper goes off.
- It won’t make your entire house smell like broccoli
- It doesn’t particularly bother me but using a pot and steamer basket on the stovetop seems to emit the smell while it’s cooking and it isn’t always pleasant for everyone
- Cooking broccoli in a pressure cooker is just EASY once you know how long it takes, which I’m going to share with you below.
I use this Instant Pot vegetable cook times sheet to remind me of approximately how long each vegetable takes to cook/steam. Feel free to print it out yourself so you can keep it handy too!
How long does Instant Pot broccoli take to cook perfectly?
- Just like Instant Pot shrimp it is quick and easy. 1 minute is perfection for me but my daughters prefer 2 minutes so it’s VERY soft.
- Yes it takes a few minutes until the pot comes to pressure too
- If you like it cooked but not super duper soft then 1 minute will do it
- But if you love soft (but not mushy) steamed broccoli then set for 2 minutes
- This comes down to personal preference and if it is your first go around I would set for 1 minute and test it out, if you want it a bit softer then you know 2 minutes is your time.
- 0 minutes works well if you still like it firmer but cooked, totally up to you but 1 minute is perfect for us.Timing below is for 1 head of broccoli with the stalk removed and cut into florets (med. size pcs.)
If you have 2 larger sized heads I’d increase the time by 1 minute. So if you cook for 1 min. normally I’d set for 2 min. for double the broccoli just remember as a general rule you shouldn’t fill your pot more than 3/4 of the way full. Make sure to immediately release the pressure or it will over soften quickly.
Crockpot Express Broccoli
Broccoli in pressure cooker
- Instant Pot vegetable steamer basket
- Head of broccoli
- This is where you can get groceries delivered to your door now.
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cup of water
- Olive oil if you just want to drizzle that on the top vs. butter
Get to cooking your Instant Pot broccoli, and then enjoy these other Instant Pot vegetable recipes:
- Easy Instant Pot brussel sprouts will get you to LOVE this underrated veggie
- Instant Pot cauliflower with a cheese sauce that is keto friendly too
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker you can try this easy steamed broccoli recipe
Pressure cooker broccoli cheese soup should be next!
Ninja Foodi broccoli
If you need to make this as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe you will follow the same instructions below. Use your pressure cooker lid (the one that isn’t attached), press the pressure cook button high for 1 minute then quick release!
- BUT you can go a step further with this machine too!
- You can add parmesan to the top when done and close air crisp lid to melt.
- OR use our air fryer broccoli recipe and use that method from the beginning.
Crockpot Express works the same as an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Follow same instructions below for that brand or any other.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Broccoli
- Pour 1.5 c of water into your Instant Pot and put your vegetable steamer basket inside.
- Wash your broccoli and cut off stalk, into smaller pieces.
- Put into steamer basket, close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 1 minute. *alternatives* Set for 0 minutes if you still like a bit of crunch to it, or 2 minutes if you like your broccoli VERY soft or you have more than 2 heads cooking at one time. Do not overfill pot past 3/4 mark inside pot.
- Do a quick release and lift out basket, pour florets into a bowl.
- Pour melted butter on top and sprinkle parmesan cheese on and serve.