Great green chile rice recipe side dish you can make during the holidays or throughout the year for dinner. Cheesy and full of flavor, this casserole will hit the spot!
This easy green chile rice is so creamy and delicious. Easy and full of lots of flavor…and heat if you want it! One of our favorite quick and easy casseroles. (originally published 5/18, affiliate links present)
I’m always down for a warm cheesy side dish when it comes to the holidays especially. A comfort food that pairs well with ham for Christmas or Thanksgiving is
Green chiles or hatch chiles come in many forms. Year round you can find them in the store canned and already diced if you like.
- For a few weeks out of the year you can find hatch chiles which I used in this pressure cooker sausage rice casserole recipe recently and it was amazing.
Either one you choose for this green chili rice side dish, it will turn out amazing.
You just need a few items from the store, or your cupboard.
Green Chile Rice
- Baking dish – oven safe 2 quart
- Large bowl to combine ingredients
- Pre-cooked White rice
- or you can use Jasmine rice if you wish, both need to be cooked before adding
- Green chiles – you can find them canned here
- If you want to make your own smoked chiles in your smoker you can do that too (seen below)
- Sour cream and cheese
It is really a throw it together appetizer or side dish. Going in the oven with everything else, it can easily sit on the counter for quite a while until everything is done.
Casseroles tend to thicken up even more as they cool so no worries. Heating it up the next day too is amazing.
Green Chili Rice
Here is a quick step by step but there is a printable recipe at the bottom of this post as well.
Time needed: 37 minutes.
Green Chili Rice
Cook white rice so you have 3 cups cooked, set aside. Use your large bowl to combine all your ingredients including your shredded cheese.
Use prepared and diced canned chiles or if they’re fresh char the outsides and then remove the seeds and membrane. Scrape soft tissue out and dice to add.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Get ready
Pour mixture into your casserole dish and smooth out so it’s the same thickness all the way across. This will ensure it bakes evenly and the middle gets done.
As with any other casserole the edges will get a bit more done than the center. I like this as I prefer the crustier pieces, where others like a softer consistency. No worries, the whole thing will be absolutely delicious, believe me!
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Optional step is to add 1/2 cup – 3/4 c. of additional cheddar cheese to the top 5 – 10 minutes before it’s done.
Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack for a good 10 minutes so it can thicken up just a bit more.
Serve and enjoy this cheesy cooked rice dish! Believe me, everyone will ask for this easy recipe and you can be the hero of the evening. 😉
If you’re looking for a creamy rice casserole for dinner this is a great choice, and really cheap to make as well which is always a win.
Other hatch chile recipes you will love:
- Mexican casserole made in your pressure cooker in just 20 minutes
- Corn casserole is a must during the holidays for us
- Our stuffed pepper casserole is amazing and low in saturated fat, whereas this chile relleno casserole is just over the top….
- Chicken and hatch chile stew is fabulous
Then make our hearty green chile chicken casserole! Adding meat makes it a main meal instead of just a side.
Here’s the printable recipe and nutritional information.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Green Chile Rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until the cheese begins to brown around the edges. Cool slightly before serving.
- If you want to add a layer of cheese on the very top, add another 1/2-3/4 cup 10 minutes before cook time ends so it can melt and brown.