Great green chile rice recipe side dish you can make during the holidays or throughout the year for dinner. Cheesy and full of flavor, this casserole will hit the spot!
I’m always down for a warm cheesy side dish when it comes to the holidays especially. A comfort food that pairs well with ham for Christmas or Thanksgiving is a win and this easy green chile rice is just that. Easy and full of lots of flavor…and heat if you want it! One of our favorite quick and easy casseroles. (originally published 5/18, affiliate links present)
Green chiles come in many forms. Year round you can find them in the store canned and already diced if you like.
- For a few weeks out of the year you can find hatch chiles which I used in this pressure cooker sausage rice casserole recipe recently and it was amazing.
You just need a few items from the store, or your cupboard.
Grocery list to make green chili rice casserole
- Baking dish – oven safe 2 quart
- Large bowl to combine ingredients
- White rice
- Green chiles – you can find them canned here
- If you want to make your own smoked chiles in your smoker you can do that too (seen below)
- Sour cream and cheese
It is really a throw it together appetizer or side dish. Going in the oven with everything else, it can easily sit on the counter for quite a while until everything is done. Casseroles tend to thicken up even more as they cool so no worries. Heating it up the next day too is amazing.
This is how you make it:
Step 1 – Use your large bowl to combine all your ingredients including your shredded cheese. If you aren’t using canned chiles make sure you remove the seeds and then scrape the inside soft tissue out. That is what you are going to use. Discard outside skins and seeds.
#2– Pour mixture into your casserole dish and smooth out so it’s the same thickness all the way across. This will ensure it bakes evenly and the middle gets done. As with any other casserole the edges will get a bit more done than the center. I like this as I prefer the crustier pieces, where others like a softer consistency. No worries, the whole thing will be absolutely delicious, believe me!
Then – Bake in the oven at 350 degrees as directed in the recipe card below.
Next – Optional step is to add 1/2 cup of additional cheddar cheese to the top 5 minutes before it’s done for an added layer of YUM.
Finally – Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack for a good 10 minutes so it can thicken up just a bit more.
Serve and enjoy this cheesy cooked rice dish! Believe me, everyone will ask for this easy recipe and you can be the hero of the evening. 😉
If you’re looking for a creamy rice casserole for dinner this is a great choice, and really cheap to make as well which is always a win.
Other hatch chile recipes you will love:
- Mexican casserole made in your pressure cooker in just 20 minutes
- Corn casserole
- Our stuffed pepper casserole is amazing and low in saturated fat
- Chicken and hatch chile stew
Then make our hearty green chile chicken casserole!
Here’s the printable recipe and nutritional information.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Green Chile Rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until the cheese begins to brown around the edges. Cool slightly before serving.