Incredible beef air fryer roast with a homemade marinade that takes this protein over the top! We started with an air fryer chuck roast and moved on from there. OMG. Get ready for your new favorite Ninja Foodi air fryer recipe.
Have you tried cooking an air fryer roast yet? Does it seem impossible to do? I have a way to make this cut of beef tender and full of amazing flavors. It’s one of our favorite air fryer recipes for dinner. (affiliate links present, originally published 2/21)
Roast in Air Fryer
Of course you can use your Ninja Foodi on the air crisp mode to make this as well. We have used both machines and there isn’t much of a difference at all between the two when cooking this. If you love moist slices of roast beef for dinner this may replace your old fashioned oven directions.
New to air frying beef and all the things? We are here to help! With easy step by step directions you will see how amazing this machine is and start using it daily too I bet.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Air Fryer Beef Roast
The key to cooking a roast in this hot air machine is keeping it moist with this homemade teriyaki marinade. It’s super easy to throw together and have it ready the next day to cook perfectly.
If you make a pressure cooker roast this isn’t really necessary since it doesn’t dry out as quickly, but is still a great choice. Here’s what you do to start this process, it’s super easy.
Air Fry Pot Roast
I came up with this homemade marinade when I made Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken thighs. From there I’ve tweaked it just a bit for other dishes like this one!
- I toned down the heat a bit this time, but how much of that you add is totally up to you.
- You just can’t go wrong with this mixture, it’s great on ALL THE THINGS!
- I plan on using it on my next batch of Ninja Foodi steak and mashed potatoes. It’s a one pot and done meal we love.
Is teriyaki sauce the same as teriyaki marinade?
The biggest difference is the way in which each is used to flavor your meat. A marinade flavors chicken, beef and fish by slowly being absorbed into the meat.
This is usually done in an airtight container or baggie overnight in your refrigerator. Teriyaki sauce is more for instant flavor gratification once it is already cooked. 45 minutes would be an absolute minimum, I prefer overnight.
Air Fryer Roast Recipe
When it comes to cooking in countertop appliances you will need to keep the size a bit smaller. The basket is only so big and although you could cut it in half you don’t want it to overlap. 2-3 pounds is about max.
- A 2-3 pound roast
- Mine was 6.5 pounds so I cut it in half for this meal and used the other half to make beef tips.
- Soy sauce
- Minced garlic
- Beef broth
- Brown sugar
- Hoisin sauce
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Meat thermometer is always handy
You could use this lemon pepper marinade if you’d rather. Or skip the marinade all together and follow our air fryer rump roast recipe.
Once you’re ready for air frying get your air fryer basket ready with some non stick spray. I like to preheat my machine at all times too. It only takes 5 minutes to do and cooks your meat or vegetables in air fryer a lot more evenly.
Air Fryer Roast Beef Cooking Time
Instead of putting it in whole this was sliced into thick pieces. We’re going to set the temperature to 400 and set 2 pieces in, one if they’re quite large. You really don’t want these to overlap so the amount you can fit will vary a lot.
- With our large air fryer you can fit quite a bit but keep in mind the top pieces will get well done a lot faster.
- Same goes with any other cut of roast beef, air fryer steak or otherwise.
- Of course the thicker your pieces are the longer your cook time will need to be.
Keep an eye on it the first go around because everyone likes their beef a bit differently. My husband would prefer it to still be mooing as he’s taking a bite while I want it DONE!
The roast marinade we share below has a sweetness to it and will caramelize a bit on the edges as you see here. That is not burnt rather it is the best bite to me! If you have another you prefer by all means use that.
Whole Roast in Air Fryer
If you don’t want to slice it and would rather keep it whole follow these directions: First use the best tri tip dry rub on the outside, or the marinade below Either one is over the top delicious, it just depends on your taste buds. (and how much time you have to prep)
- Preheat machine to 390 degrees F for 5 minutes
- Place meat inside and cook for 15 minutes
- Then flip it over to the other side and reduce heat to 360 F.
- Continue cooking for 60 minutes or until internal meat temperature reaches the “doneness” you want
- Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing so it stays juicy
If sliced this is the timing
- Whisk together items for marinade, pour into gallon storage bag. Remove twine from around roast and slice into 3-4 pieces (the thicker they are the rarer they will become when cooked, your choice)
- Put meat into baggie and lay flat in your fridge for 24 hours. Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
Lay 2 sliced pieces of roast into your air fryer basket. Cook for 10 minutes, then flip over and cook another 5 minutes. This should give you a medium well center depending on how thick your pieces are. Cut the timing if you want pink inside.
Allow to rest on cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing to maintain juiciness. This is how ours turned out with the timing below. Perfect to me! You can see just about how thin I sliced it initially too so it could really soak up those flavors and cook quickly.
How long does it take to cook a roast at 400?
In this case, just 15 minutes flat! In the oven it is closer to 30-40 minutes because it’s kept in one piece (and baking takes longer every time).
- Roast with onion soup mix in Crockpot is best on low for 8 hours to get it really nice and tender.
- In 45 minutes you can make an amazing beef arm roast recipe.
- Ready to get going with your roast in air fryer here??
- Put together an easy side dish like our air fryer sweet potatoes too and get going.
If you forgot to defrost it you can follow our frozen roast in Instant Pot directions too. Another favorite is our Instant Pot Mississippi roast recipe. If you want to cook a dutch oven roast we have instructions for that method here too. Below is our printable recipe card with nutritional information such as calories and saturated fat too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Roast
- 2-3 lb roast cut into 3rds
- 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1/4 c beef broth
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 c hoisin sauce
- Whisk together items for marinade, pour into gallon storage bag.
- Remove twine from around roast and slice into 3-4 pieces (the thicker they are the rarer they will become when cooked, your choice)
- Put meat into baggie and lay flat in your fridge for 24 hours.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees, then lay 2 pieces of roast into your air fryer basket.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then flip over and cook another 5 minutes. This should give you a medium well center depending on how thick your pieces are.
- Allow to rest on cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing to maintain juiciness.
- ** If you want to keep it whole follow these instructions **
- Preheat machine to 390 degrees F for 5 minutes. Season outside with our steak rub all over or marinade as directed above. Place (2 lb.) meat inside and cook for 15 minutes. Then flip it over to the other side and reduce heat to 360 F.
- Continue cooking for 60 minutes or until internal temp. reaches the "doneness" you want. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing so it stays juicy
Tuesday 22nd of February 2022
Making marinade now for tomorrow’s supper. You don’t mention the marinade again…I guess it gets thrown out when you put the roast in air fryer to cook?
Sunday 14th of March 2021
Sounds good. Will definitely try this
Wednesday 17th of February 2021
Great recipe. I had a 3lb pork shoulder roast. Followed the recipe exactly. The roast was delicious and juicy. The marinade was perfect. Definitely putting this in the rotation. Thank you for an easy and delicious meal.
The Typical Mom
Thursday 18th of February 2021
Glad it was a hit
Friday 22nd of January 2021
My air fryer has a roast and bake button would I need to use the roast button or air fry button.. its new ive not had one like this before. Thank you.
The Typical Mom
Friday 22nd of January 2021
Air fry is what I used
Sunday 17th of January 2021
gonna try,will let you know how it turns out.