Air fryer rump roast comes out as tender as you’d like it with a crispy dry rub on the outside. Well done, medium or rare in no time at all.
This air fryer rump roast recipe is way easier than you probably think it would be. Using just a few light seasonings, or your favorite dry rub, this is a low fat protein packed meal you’ll love. Just one of many easy air fryer recipes on The Typical Mom blog. (affiliate links present)
The first air fryer roast we made was with an expensive piece top round. From that point I wanted to share other types of beef and how to cook them in your machine as well. Each one is slightly different, thinner, thicker, more tender or not. As I explained before, you can use any brand of hot air machine you have to make this.
Ninja Foodi Rump Roast
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Is roast good in an air fryer?
Yes! You can make all sorts of cuts tender in it in no time at all. It is similar to roasting in an oven but doesn’t take as much time or heat up your entire house to do so.
If you have a pressure cooker and air fryer machine you can use both functions to make it more tender. Follow our Ninja Foodi roast recipe for those directions.
There are several things you can do to make it more tender.
1. Use a meat mallet to pound it out
2. Marinate with an acidic sauce
3. Rub with salt on the outside
4. Slow cook roast or air fry at a lower temp. for longer
Is rump roast a good cut of meat?
It does have a lot of connective tissue because it comes from a well exercised portion of the cow. This means if not cooked properly it can be tough, but cheap compared to other selections. A bit better than a chuck roast it is quite flavorful and delicious if not overcooked and sliced against the grain.
There’s a choice when it comes to the seasonings on the outside. You can just sprinkle on some thyme, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper as a quicky. If you want a deeper more sweet and savory crust I would recommend our tri tip dry rub that is out of this world. Make half of what’s listed and rub all over.
That does have some brown sugar in it which will make the outside darker and if cooking until well done it may become too dark. It is cooked quite low at 320 F though so I haven’t had that issue but I tend to stop at medium.
- Rump roast about 2 lbs. is a good size. Timing below will reflect that size so if you stay too much beyond that it will need longer.
- Seasonings of your choice or use our dry rub suggestions below.
I do always like to use some olive oil spray in the basket especially if I’m adding the sweeter rub so it doesn’t stick.
How do you know when rump roast is done?
- Rare internal meat temperature = 125 degrees F
- 130 degrees F for medium rare
- Medium well done = 140 degrees F
- 160 degrees F for well-done protein
Everyone has their preference as to how pink it is inside. My husband likes it still mooooing and I prefer it closer to number 2-3. Always use a meat thermometer in the thickest middle portion when testing what the temp. is.
Remember that when resting it will continue to increase 5-10 degrees F. so take it out a bit shy of what you want. If you cook it under pressure like our Instant Pot rump roast it’s unlikely it will be undercooked if you follow the timing listed.
Remember to always let your air fryer beef recipes rest before slicing it. This will maintain the juices inside and not dry it out when you cut it.
Time needed: 35 minutes
Air Fryer Rump Roast
Preheat air fryer to 320 degrees F for 5 minutes. Dab roast with paper towels to remove moisture from outside of the meat. Rub seasonings of choice all over the meat.
Set protein inside preheated air fryer basket and cook at 320 degrees for 30-40 minutes cooking time, flipping halfway through the total time. Timing will depend on what internal temperature you want it to have.
Use the following guide; 125°F for rare meat, 130°F for medium-rare, 140°F for medium-well, 160°F for well-done
Do you cut a rump roast with or against the grain?
Unlike our air fryer tri tip there is really only one grain to follow in this cut. Slice against it to break down the fibers and make it easier to chew when cut into smaller pieces. Make the slices as thin as possible too for the tenderest results. As thin as 1/4″ are said to be best fo this cut of beef.
Air fryer cooking is really incredible. In 15 minutes to 20 minutes you can make an easy side dish to serve with this too. That means in about an hour a healthy dinner for 6 can be made and served.
Use your Cosori for the meat, then the sides or if you have two you can cook at the same time. A few of our favorites are:
- Make a batch of air fryer cauliflower or broccoli in air fryer topped with parmesan.
- Air fryer vegetables are a given with this keto low carb main dish, but bread in air fryer is a great addition too.
- If I want something really easy I will buy one of those bagged salads at the store and have that on hand.
- A quick batch of white rice is an easy choice too.
Once you enjoy this one you should give our air fryer roast beef a whirl too. One other cut we make often with the same rub you’ll see in the recipe card below.
What can I do with leftover beef?
I hate to waste food. If you have some of this or pot roast left, do not slice it. Leave it whole and wrap it in foil. Refrigerate and use within 2 days.
The best way I think is to leave it on the counter for about an hour, then slice it into bite size pieces and throw it into some fried rice or into a casserole to add protein.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Rump Roast
- 2 lb rump roast
- 3 tbsp steak dry rub or mix 1 tbsp thyme, 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper together and use that to rub all over
- Preheat air fryer to 320 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Dab roast with paper towels to remove moisture from outside of the meat. Rub seasonings of choice all over the meat.
- Set inside preheated air fryer basket and cook at 320 F for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through. Timing will depend on what internal temp. you want.
- 125°F for rare meat, 130°F for medium-rare, 140°F for medium-well, 160°F for well-done