Ready for this easy unstuffed pressure cooker cabbage soup recipe? If you love your Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot and cabbage then this may become your favorite dinner! It’s gluten free too.
You’ve got to try our pressure cooker cabbage soup. It is amazing with ground sausage or beef! If you’re ready for some more easy Instant Pot recipes perfect for cooler weather, this is it!! (originally published 11/18, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
Similar to cabbage rolls but easier to make, it will become your favorite meal if you love cabbage. You can make it as a Ninja Foodi recipe or in your Crockpot Express too. Any brand with the high pressure cook function will work just fine.
Yes you can make a batch of crockpot cabbage soup but that takes a lot longer if you can imagine. Both are great hearty meals with ground beef, sausage or leave it out and make it vegetarian.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Cabbage Soup InstaPot
I made this unstuffed cabbage dish once but it came out thick, so I called it Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole. This time I added more broth and tomato sauce to this electric pressure cooker soup and it came out perfect.
It’s totally up to you, use what you have on hand and what you love I always say. Pair it with some pull apart bread and a complete dinner is served!
Savoy cabbage is best. You’re unlikely to find a bunch of varieties at the store other than purple or organic but possibly at a farmers market that may be different.
It depends on where you live really. I call it unstuffed cabbage soup but if sauerkraut is added some say it is sour shchi.
This is what we typically use to throw this baby together.
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
If you’ve never made any simple cabbage recipes they’re really great and bring a great texture with the addition of this vegetable that doesn’t get nearly as much credit as it should in my opinion.
- My grandma cooked with cabbage all the time and when I was younger it wasn’t anything I was about to try. I must be getting older though because I’m all about cabbage in just about everything now.
This was a total winner and great as is without anything else, maybe a roll on the side if you wanted.
Is cabbage soup good for weight loss?
- This isn’t that kind of cabbage soup since this is loaded with flavorful ground sausage and/or ground beef. Weight loss soup wouldn’t include meat.
People have reported losing weight but only because you’re reducing your calorie intake, not the healthiest method in my opinion.
Pressure cooker cabbage soup
- Ground sausage – I like spicy version, could use ground beef but sausage has WAY more flavor
- Olive oil
- Spaghetti sauce – this is our favorite
- or tomato sauce but we prefer the above
- Diced tomatoes
- Beef broth
- Rice – white, uncooked
- Seasoning is up to you (we like it as is)
- black pepper
Optional other add ins:
Onion, carrots, celery – just dice or cut them into small dials
Ninja Foodi Cabbage Soup
Best part is you don’t even have to precook your rice. You just throw it right into your Instant Pot with everything else and it comes out perfectly tender in just about 15 minutes.
As I said you can leave the rice out if you would rather. It’s one of the heartiest vegetables soups you will ever make.
- 20 minutes is about all the time you need, that includes the time it takes to reach pressure.
When it’s done you’ll have a hearty dinner soup ready. Let me tell you that this Instant Pot cabbage soup is fantastic the next day if there are any leftovers.
It does thicken up a bit as it sits, and the next day so there is less “soupiness” but makes no difference in the overall taste.
It. Is. Amazing.
After you try this Instant Pot cabbage soup we have a few more easy pressure cooker soups.
Added to our long list of Instant Pot soup recipes it is a complete meal with a TON of flavor.
- Instant Pot lasagna soup
- Pressure cooker bean soup – no soaking required
- This pressure cooker sausage and cabbage you’ll love too
- 17 minute homemade Instant Pot split pea soup recipe
- I have a bunch more Instant Pot sausage recipes here too
If you’re making Ninja Foodi cabbage soup adjust by:
- Setting to high pressure for 12 minutes (since it doesn’t have a rice button)
Can you freeze cabbage soup?
Make a double batch of this cabbage soup recipe so you can freeze half of it for a quick dinner!! First let it cool completely before putting it into an airtight container and putting it into your freezer. It will keep for about 2-3 months.
Find more Instant Pot cabbage recipes here and below:
- Pressure cooker fried cabbage
- Instant Pot stuffed cabbage is a family fave
- You can make unstuffed cabbage casserole in the oven here too.
- Easy Instant Pot corned beef and cabbage
- Pressure cooker chicken quinoa casserole has cabbage in it too and is a great complete dinner
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Pressure Cooker Cabbage Soup
- 1 lb ground sausage 1/2 regular and 1/2 lb. spicy is best
- 1 c onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce 24 oz
- 1 can diced tomatoes petite, 14.5 oz.
- 32-40 oz beef broth depending on how soupy you want it
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2-1 c rice depending on how much you want inside your soup, we add 1 cup – uncooked white rice
- 6 c cabbage cut into 2×2″ squares, cubed then separate chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Turn your pressure cooker to saute and add your olive oil, diced onion and 1 lb. of ground sausage. Add minced garlic about half way thru. Cook until sausage is no longer pink then turn your pot OFF.
- Dump your can of diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, Worc. sauce, and broth into your pot and stir. (we add 32 oz. of broth, then add another cup when it is all done if we want it thinner/soupier)
- Pour your uncooked white rice into your liquid, DO NOT Stir. Separate the leaves in your chunks of cubed cabbage and measure out about 6 cups.
- Put your 6 cups of cubed cabbage leaves into your Instant Pot and gently push down into your liquid.
- Put your lid on, close your steam valve, and push your rice button.
- It will automatically set to low, for 12 minutes.
- Do a quick release when done and enjoy, great with some shredded parmesan on top!