This Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole is so tasty! Simple pressure cooker cabbage recipe to make for dinner. Unstuffed cabbage is so much easier to make than the traditional method. The ultimate 15 minute comfort food, we love this recipe!
This Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole as we called it was full of flavor, the cabbage maintained a perfect not too soft and not underdone consistency, and overall was a healthy meal for all 5 of us. Definitely one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes now! (originally published 1/18, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot unstuffed cabbage
I hadn’t ever had a stuffed cabbage roll at all until I met my husband.
He raved about this dish his grandmother used to make so I gave it a whirl years ago and shared it here on my slow cooker stuffed cabbage post.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
In the past making stuffed cabbage was quite time consuming, and my kids found it hard to eat. SO I thought a deconstructed version would be a bigger hit in our house. That is where this creation came about. 😉
I got to experimenting and boy did it come out great! On the first go around it was perfect, and thinned out with some more broth it makes a great soup reheated as well.
- Two meals out of one creation is my kinda one pot meal I tell you.
Instant Pot unstuffed cabbage rolls
I thought about this dish the other night since I hadn’t made it in a while. A sort of deconstructed Instant Pot stuffed cabbage dish was what I wanted. It took only 12 minutes to cook and was great!
I love being able to dump and go with my pressure cooker and have a complete meal in under 30 minutes including the time it takes to pressurize.
If making this you can opt for ground beef or I like a mixture of 1/2 lb. spicy ground sausage and 1/2 beef.
Unstuffed cabbage casserole really is a complete meal. Other than a dinner roll I don’t serve it with much.
You could but the consistency of the leaves will be a bit mushy when reheated. I suggest storing in the fridge and reheating in the next 2-3 days for the best results. 1 min. in the microwave should do it.
- The cabbage cut up into little squares works perfectly when you’re ready to eat and makes it the perfect consistency once it is done.
I don’t like it too wilted and soft or super crunchy either. This timing made it turn out perfectly. Even the kids said it was a winner of a dinner. 😉
My mother in law was over and raved about it too. You could use ground turkey if you rather, and topped with grated parmesan cheese at the end is a must!
Instant Pot unstuffed cabbage casserole
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- cabbage leaves cut into 1″ squares
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (I just grabbed what was on sale)
- Can of tomato soup
- or tomato sauce if necessary
- 1 lb. ground beef….or ground sausage is amazing – this is how to defrost Instant Pot frozen ground beef in case you forgot to thaw it out the night before. 😉
- Onion and garlic
- White rice – uncooked
- some have used brown rice, cook times would be different if using this
- Beef broth
- could use water
- Spices, salt and pepper
Like I said, it is a really easy dinner to put together and probably something new you haven’t tried before.
I have also made a slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup that was amazing but of course took all day to cook
- Then I made this pressure cooker cabbage soup we loved.
- It’s now included in our list of Instant Pot soup recipes
If you want to make a similar dish but on the stovetop, try our unstuffed cabbage casserole recipe here.
Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole
If you’re looking for more easy Instant Pot sausage recipes we have more to enjoy!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Time needed: 15 minutes
Instant Pot Cabbage Casserole
Turn Instant Pot to saute, normal. Add a bit of olive oil, ground beef and diced onion. Could add minced garlic too. Cook until beef is not pink and onions soften
Turn Instant Pot OFF/cancel button and deglaze your pot. Important step so pot does not overheat and can cool off while draining grease and adding other ingredients.
If you do not turn it off in between you may have an error/burn code come on as it senses it is overheating.
- Add ingredients
Pour in all other ingredients EXCEPT rice and cabbage. Do not stir.
When all other ingredients are added pour uncooked rice in, do not stir.
Break up chunks of cabbage and add to top of your mixture, gently push down into the liquid. (make sure pot is not more than 3/4 full or it may not reach pressure)
Put lid on and close steam valve. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes (or if you don’t have that option push your rice button which will automatically set for 12 minutes).
Do a natural release for 2 minutes, then a quick release.
Lift lid carefully, stir, and serve! Can top with chives or even cheese!! It will thicken more as it sits.
* NOTE: Make sure you do a quick release at the end or else the cabbage will become too soft.
- Also, this will thicken quite a bit as it cools and sits in the pot. Initially it will be a bit thinner.
Just allow the cooked rice and cabbage to sit after pressure cooking to get thicker. Consistency in the photos is approx. 5-10 after taking lid off.
Instant Pot Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef or ground sausage
- 3 1/2 c beef broth
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 c rice white, uncooked
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce 20 oz
- 1 can tomato soup 10 oz
- 1 dash hot sauce optional
- 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 c cabbage cut into small chunks 2×2 pcs
- Turn Instant Pot to saute, normal. Add a bit of olive oil, ground beef and diced onion. Cook until beef is not pink and onions soften
- Turn Instant Pot OFF/cancel button and deglaze your pot. Important step so pot does not overheat and can cool off while draining grease and adding other ingredients. If you do not turn it off in between you may have an error/burn code come on as it senses it is overheating.
- Add in all other ingredients except rice and cabbage. Do not stir.
- When all other ingredients are added pour uncooked rice in, do not stir.
- Break up chunks of cabbage and add to top of your mixture, gently push down into the liquid. (make sure pot is not more than 3/4 full or it may not reach pressure)
- Put lid on and close steam valve.
- Push rice button, or if you don't have that then choose pressure high for 10 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release steam for 2 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Lift lid carefully, stir, and serve! Can top with chives or even parmesan cheese!! It will thicken more as it sits.