This slow cooker stuffed cabbage recipe is so yummy that even my kids love it! Roll them up, let them cook all day in your crockpot and it tastes amazing. No side dishes needed for this dinner idea. Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any time of the year really. Here’s an easy way to make this classic dish.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
We are a typical family, hence the name The Typical Mom. We cook the same dishes week after week. But sometimes it is time to add a new meal! I love easy crockpot meals and so naturally my mind goes there.
Most of our favorite dishes are “dump meals” but every once and a while it’s nice to take some time and make something different.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
- We make stuffed green peppers pretty regularly. This recipe reminds me of that. It is inexpensive, pretty healthy, and once you take the time to make the cabbage rolls (less than an hr.), it cooks by itself.
It’s one of those down home meals that you may have had as a child, and a great “present” dinner to get your children to try!
Since then we’ve made this into Instant Pot stuffed cabbage too and it’s a winner. The only difference between the 2 stuffed cabbage rolls is the cook time really.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
First thing first you need to cook the ground beef or turkey. I have also used spicy ground sausage and I will admit, the later was our favorite. Your choice though, either works.
- Include some diced onions, garlic, any other spices you enjoy. We have used either diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, or spaghetti sauce.
This will later be poured over your slow cooker cabbage rolls.
- Once your meat/onion mixture is cooked put it in a large bowl combined with your cooked rice.
Mix together your other ingredients so it will be like an assembly line once you have everything.
- It may look like a lot of steps but after your first time you will pretty much know what to do.
Boil your largest leaves from each head of cabbage in a boiling pot of water. There are really only 4-5 per head so I would buy 2 if you’re making enough for a family of 4 or more.
It’s a bit like when you blanch bell peppers, you just want to soften them.
When I take the leaves out of the water I put them on a plate with a paper towel to absorb some of the water.
- Fill the softened leaf with about this much meat mixture in center. Then roll like a burrito with the sides folded in first.
- Fold the leaf and roll it all the way up securing the side with the seam side up with 2 toothpicks so it doesn’t unravel.
- Do not use colored toothpicks as the color will bleed through.
Crockpot Stuffed Cabbage
I use a larger portable crock pot for this meal. Let them cook and have a fabulous meal. Even my kids love this slow cooker stuffed cabbage recipe!!
Slow cooker stuffed cabbage
- Cabbage leaves
- Ground beef – we like spicy ground sausage the best
- Tomato sauce
- spaghetti sauce or tomato soup could be substituted
- 1/4 cup Milk
Garlic salt/powder is a must, I use Worcestershire sauce too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef ground turkey or we prefer spicy ground sausage
- 5 large cabbage leaves or more depending on how many you want to make
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 c cooked rice
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 oz, or more if you like a wetter filling, can use spaghetti sauce instead
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp worchestshire sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- Cook the ground beef, turkey, or sausage with your onion and garlic.
- Combine that with your cooked rice, egg, and milk in one bowl. Combine ingredients for the sauce together and add 1/4 of it into your meat mixture.
- Boil cabbage leaves for 2 minutes. Roll meat mixture into cabbage pieces like a burrito folding sides in and securing with 2 toothpicks each.
- Put some of your tomato sauce on bottom of crockpot. Lay cabbage rolls down trying not to overlap them, and pour remaining sauce on top.
- Cook in your crockpot on high for 4-5 hrs. or low for 8-9 hrs.