Fluffy Instant Pot brown rice recipe is here. How to make sure it doesn’t come out dry so you can enjoy this side dish with everything.
We cook white and this Instant Pot brown rice recipe at least once a week. It is an easy Instant Pot recipe that’s a cheap side dish everyone loves. It really is my go to pairing. Here’s a tip to making it moist and fluffy every time.
If you’ve never really cared for this style of rice, this may make you change your mind. It did for me. Crunchy and dry is the way it always came at restaurants but I wanted to give it another try on my own!
- I should’ve tried this so much sooner because now it’s a fave.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Brown Rice in Instant Pot
You really don’t need much of anything to make this. Just like making white rice, it’s just water and if you want to add a pinch of salt. The biggest difference is the cook time. It is a bit more than double, but worth it.
- Uncooked brown rice
- Salt is optional but suggested
If you follow the directions below very carefully, including the natural release time you too will likely cook it more and more often. Unlike white rice, this step is a necessity to get it light and fluffy.
I don’t really refer to it as steaming, but I suppose you could. In just 22 minutes with a bit of a natural release, you too can enjoy this healthy side dish at your home. We will show you exactly how here.
Including time to pressurize the pot, and release the steam Instant Pot white rice takes about 17 minutes while cooking brown rice in Instant Pot is closer to 45 min.
Add uncooked rice, water and a bit of salt into your pot. Swish around to separate pieces. Pressure cook for 22 minutes with a 20 minute natural release.
You can in order to remove any dust on the outside. Alternatively I usually just lift the pot up and “swish” the rice with the water to do the same thing. This helps it not come out clumpy as well.
Ok so I am a bit lazy sometimes and I don’t always rinse my rice. I have found that if I don’t it turns out just as if I had if I swirl the pot once the water has been added. It makes it a bit cloudy as the dust washes off.
The rice is perfect every time I make it this way. You can double the recipe too if you want. It even fits in my smaller 6 quart with that amount. And any type of electric pressure cooker works, including the Ninja Foodi.
- Warm or cold water works just fine.
- It turns out perfect either way.
- I use Uncle Ben’s whole grain long grain brown rice but any store brand is fine as well.
How to Make Brown Rice in Instant Pot
Here are step by step directions for the recipe that works well for us every single week. Of course I have it again at the bottom where the recipe card is in fact printable. You can do that and store it in your recipe card box.
Time needed: 42 minutes.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
- Add ingredients
Pour uncooked brown rice and water in pressure cooker. Take pot out of inner lining and swirl around a few times with your hands.
Sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Put inner pot back in.
Close lid and steam valve and set to manual or pressure cook, high pressure for 22 minutes.
When done do NOT touch the pressure release valve, instead leave it for 20 minutes so steam can naturally release and keep rice moist and fluffy.
Remove lid, fluff perfect brown rice with wooden spoon and serve plain, with butter or soy sauce on top. You can also use this in a sort of stir fry with our air fryer fajitas.
What to add to brown rice to make it taste better?
- Instead of water you can use beef or chicken broth. Or drop a bouillon cube in with your water and stir until dissolved.
- Garlic salt is a great and easy addition.
- Add a scoop of salsa in before you pressure cook it to give it a Mexican flavor. Somewhat similar to our Instant Pot Spanish rice.
- Butter and some pepper on top is an option.
- I add soy sauce myself.
Can you reheat cooked brown rice?
Yes, but fresh is always best of course. Rice always tends to dry out when stored, and especially when refrigerated. Add a bit of liquid and cover bowl with a paper towel before microwaving to try and avoid it drying out even more.
Can cooked brown rice sit out overnight?
No. About 2 hours is max once it’s reached room temperature. After that store in airtight containers in the fridge to avoid the growth of bacteria.
Of course we have to include a link to how perfect Instant Pot white rice instructions as well too right? My girls probably prefer this style because I guess they’ve eaten it more often.
Either way pressure cooker rice has been a game changer for me as far as being able to prepare an easy side dish with meals at dinnertime.
Looking for other Instant Pot side dishes to cook on other nights?
- You can make Instant Pot steamed vegetables. Mix a few different ones together and cook all at the same time. We will show you how to do it!
- We make Instant Pot corn on the cob all the time. Fresh or frozen it is a cheap addition to every meal that is always a hit at the table.
And one of our favorite things to serve with pressure cooker brown rice is probably with a frozen roast in the Instant Pot.
This packs our meal with a ton of protein while the rice has the fiber we need in our diets. Many people don’t realize the huge differences between the two styles of rice, but it is pretty big.
Is brown rice good for you?
Absolutely. The fiber from the outer husk that has been left on aids digestion and may reduce the risk of developing cancer, diabetes and high cholesterol.
When my LDL levels were elevated my doctor gave me a list of all the foods I should be integrating into my diet and this was top on the list. It wasn’t my favorite at first (so used to the white variety) but in time I learned to love it.
Which brown rice is best?
Any brand is better than not choosing whole grain period but they do say these are the top 3 when surveyed; Lundberg long grain, RiceSelect Organic, Pride of India’s extra long grain basmati brown rice (basmati isn’t my favorite).
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
- Pour uncooked brown rice and water in pressure cooker. Take pot out of inner lining and swirl around a few times with your hands.
- Sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Put inner pot back in.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 22 minutes.
- When done do NOT touch the pressure release valve, instead leave it for 20 minutes so steam can naturally release and keep rice moist and fluffy.
- Remove lid, fluff with wooden spoon and serve.