Pressure cooker Mexican rice is a great side dish made in your Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi. Tender Spanish rice everyone will love.
If you haven’t tried pressure cooker Mexican rice yet it is easy to throw together as an Instant Pot recipe and full of flavor. You don’t have to have this brand though, any electric pressure cooker will work. (affiliate links present)
- It’s on our list of easy Ninja Foodi recipes too.
When it comes to great Mexican food you don’t always have to go to a restaurant to get it. It’s actually kind of fun to learn to make things on your own like the Instant Pot refried beans we made recently too.
We make Instant Pot white rice all the time! BUT it is sure nice to mix things up a bit.
This is what you’ll need to make a batch of Instant Pot Mexican rice:
- Long grain white rice
- I haven’t made this with brown rice yet
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken broth
- Or water but broth has a lot more flavor
- Onion and garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Optional add ins would be 1/2 cup of diced onion and a can of diced chiles are great as well.
- Like I said, if you don t have an Instant Pot you can use any brand. We have a Mealthy we use too. Many times we use a few to make an entire meal.
Is there a difference between Spanish rice and Mexican rice?
- The only main difference is that Spanish rice typically uses saffron vs. cumin which is added here.
- Main ingredients are basically the same. Of course everyone has their own tweaks they make and you’re free to call this whatever you’d like. 😉
Is Mexican rice healthy?
Yes!! It is a healthy low-fat side dish for sure. Added to our list of cheap Instant Pot recipes it costs very little too.
You could make this pressure cooker Mexican rice on the stove top over low heat with a lid.
You’d need to gently stir a few times so it doesn’t burn but just cook long enough for rice to be tender.
Can you double the recipe?
- I prefer to make 2 batches, I think it comes out better.
- Would only work in an 8 quart pot. Remember to never fill past 3/4 full max mark on inside of pot.
How to make this Instant Pot Mexican rice recipe tonight:
- Add all ingredients except onions and rice
- Stir together well, then add onions and stir again
- Sprinkle in uncooked rice and submerge into liquid, do not stir
- Close lid and steam valve to sealed position
- Set to high pressure cook for 7 minutes
- short cooking time I know
- Allow to naturally release steam for 10 minutes when done
- Lift lid and fluff rice with a fork
Done in just about 15 minutes it’s perfect for pot lucks or pairing with Instant Pot tacos!
What goes good with Spanish rice?
- Instant Pot Mexican pizza
- You can alter our pressure cooker chicken taco bowls to include this rice instead of white rice.
- Make Instant Pot taco meat and homemade pinto beans inside small tortillas.
- Instant Pot enchiladas would be a great pair.
Then if you’re looking for more pressure cooker Mexican recipes we have a casserole that’s great too.
Something new is in town!!
- You can melt a layer of cheese on top of this when it’s done with this pressure cooker air fryer lid! It takes this from good to amazing.
Pressure Cooker Mexican Rice
- Add all ingredients other than your onions and rice and stir. Add onions and stir. Then sprinkle uncooked rice on the top and gently submerge into the liquid. Do not stir or you may receive the burn message.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and set the valve to sealing, then select the pressure cook setting to high for 7 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release steam for 10 minutes when done, then release pressure valve and lift lid.
- Use a fork to fluff rice, stir and serve. Turn pot off. Best if served immediately.