The best Instant Pot red beans and rice recipe ever! Really easy to make and cheap too. Great pressure cooker dinner idea that’s hearty and packed with lots of flavor. Using uncooked rice and a few other ingredients it’s a one pot meal my kids absolutely love.
We’re back with another favorite pressure cooker meal, this Instant Pot red beans and rice……it came out great! It took a total of about 20 minutes or so to make and even the kids thought it was super flavorful! If you’ve been following The Typical Mom for any length of time you know we love easy & quick recipes the whole family will enjoy. This one made it to our list of fabulous Instant Pot recipes, perfect for any time of year. (originally published 3/17)
Instead of dry beans we used canned so it would cook faster, and instead of just water we used chicken broth to cook the rice (that gave it a great added flavor).
Everyone is a bit different. Some like red beans and rice a bit soupier in it’s consistency, we like it on the drier side but you can make it either way with this recipe. Just add a bit more chicken broth or water before you put your Instant Pot lid on and it will come out just as you had envisioned it.
Equipment you need to make Instant Pot red beans and rice
- Pressure cooker – we have an Instant Pot but there are many other brands
- Wooden spoon – my preference when cooking, especially sauteeing in my pot
- Knife to dice your onion, bacon and sausage
I ate a lot of this in Louisiana when I lived down South, plus crawfish (oh so good), gumbo and more.
Typically it is quite a lengthy process but there is always a way you can simplify things, that is what we did for you here.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot beans and rice recipe
- Sausage -Andouille is best
- Can of red beans
- Chicken broth
- Rice – white, long grain uncooked
It has a great flavor, and tons of it! If you are not about a lot of spice use a different type of sausage as opposed to Andouille as that is where a lot of the spiciness comes from.
I am not a spice loving person but this is just perfect for me and my kids enjoy it too for dinner.
It feeds the 5 of us with leftovers for lunch the next day as well which makes it a really inexpensive meal idea.
Looking for more easy Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot chili
- New Years dish = Instant Pot Hoppin John
- Kid fave Instant Pot chili mac
- Instant Pot sausage recipes
This is how we made it, and the complete Instant Pot red beans and rice recipe is below for you.
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
- 1/4 onion diced
- 6 strips bacon diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz Andouille sausage precooked, dice
- 1 can red beans drained
- 2 c rice uncooked
- 2 1/2 c chicken broth
- 2 c water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- Put Instant Pot on saute, high.
- Add olive oil. Add onions, garlic and bacon and cook down until bacon cooks a bit and onions soften.
- Add precooked sausage and warm along side other ingredients.
- Turn off IP by pressing cancel. Add red beans, drained and rinsed.
- Add chicken broth and water (we used 2 c. of each to look like this picture, if you want it wetter add an extra 1/2-1 c. chicken broth for a soupier consistency). Stir.
- Add uncooked rice, salt, and cumin. Stir.
- Put lid on IP and close steam valve. Push rice button, will automatically set for 12 minutes. When it beeps do a quick release, stir, (season more if desired) and serve!